Full frame Mirrorless camera in Sony A7 price range?

angie

At last the devil is here
I am looking to buy a full frame mirrorless camera. I looked around and found that Sony A7 is the one to beat around 1 Lakh INR. It is probably the only one choice.

My question is : Is Sony A7/ Sony A7 II the model to beat? Or is there any model that is better at the same price point.

I am not really decided in between A7 and A7 II at the moment. And I am also not sure whether I will buy it in India, or get it from US.

A7 : *www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRDV06I
A7 II: *www.amazon.com/dp/B00PX8CNCM/

nac

Aspiring Novelist
You won't get this pricing in India and also you won't be getting India warranty if you buy from USA.

OP
angie

angie

Yes I have checked the pricing on Amazon.in, that is fine. Warranty is a bummer of course, but you do get the camera for 25% discount or so, gotta live with it.

My main question is whether to choose A7 or not. Probably someone here bought it?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
My main question is whether to choose A7 or not. Probably someone here bought it?
I don't remember anyone mentioning that they own one of those cameras in this forum. If you're open to DSLR, there are other options as well around 1L mark, but...
You want to buy FF MILC, and a7 is the cheapest option. Check the reviews and decide. I don't remember much about a7, it's been 3-4yrs since it's launched.

OP
angie

angie

I don't remember anyone mentioning that they own one of those cameras in this forum. If you're open to DSLR, there are other options as well around 1L mark, but...
You want to buy FF MILC, and a7 is the cheapest option. Check the reviews and decide. I don't remember much about a7, it's been 3-4yrs since it's launched.

Thanks. Correct me if I am wrong but last time I researched into mirrorless cameras, I remember that mirrorless cameras offer 99% the quality of DSLRs at a lower price point. Not even considering the size difference. Are there any full frame DSLRs near this price point?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks. Correct me if I am wrong but last time I researched into mirrorless cameras, I remember that mirrorless cameras offer 99% the quality of DSLRs at a lower price point. Not even considering the size difference. Are there any full frame DSLRs near this price point?
In general, mirrorless systems are more expensive than DSLR, esp in India. Don't just see price of the camera, but the whole system - lenses, flashes and accessories etc. You mean image quality? - yeah they are equally good. But image quality is not everything, right?
Yeah you can find 6D, D610 under 1L in India probably even cheaper in US.
BTW, do you have any camera right now?

OP
angie

angie

In general, mirrorless systems are more expensive than DSLR, esp in India. Don't just see price of the camera, but the whole system - lenses, flashes and accessories etc. You mean image quality? - yeah they are equally good. But image quality is not everything, right?
Yeah you can find 6D, D610 under 1L in India probably even cheaper in US.
BTW, do you have any camera right now?
I don't have a DSLR. I do have a point and shoot Sony Rx100

Last edited:
OP
angie

angie

Okay found these on Amazon.in, will compare them with the A7 and A7 II.

Canon EOS6D: *www.amazon.in/dp/B00CSMNYAQ
Nikon D610: *www.amazon.in/dp/B00HY9CRWO/

Also I would be buying it for casual photography. So probably a general 28-70 mm lense would be fine for me.

OP
angie

angie

In general, mirrorless systems are more expensive than DSLR, esp in India. Don't just see price of the camera, but the whole system - lenses, flashes and

Well comparing India prices, Sony A7 II with 28-70 mm is 1.3 Lakhs. *www.amazon.in/dp/B00UBMZM0K

Canon EOS 6D with 28-20mm is 1.6 lakhs. (*www.amazon.in/dp/B00DDLVEVW/). So I am not sure how mirrorless is more expensive? Can you elaborate?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Well comparing India prices, Sony A7 II with 28-70 mm is 1.3 Lakhs. *www.amazon.in/dp/B00UBMZM0K
Canon EOS 6D with 28-20mm is 1.6 lakhs. (*www.amazon.in/dp/B00DDLVEVW/). So I am not sure how mirrorless is more expensive? Can you elaborate?
Sony 28-70 kit lens is variable aperture lens whereas Canon 24-70 is constant aperture lens.
This is the only lens you will ever gonna buy? If yes, then lens range/availability/price isn't gonna be an issue for you.
DSLR vs MILC debate will go on and on. If you're not in a hurry, do a little more research.
@izzikio_rage is using Sony a6000 and he's very much satisfied with the system. He could tell more about Sony MILC.

OP
angie

angie

Sony 28-70 kit lens is variable aperture lens whereas Canon 24-70 is constant aperture lens.
@izzikio_rage is using Sony a6000 and he's very much satisfied with the system. He could tell more about Sony MILC.

Good to know. So it seems like a constant aperture lense would be favorable in case of videos while for a variable aperture the auto mode pretty much takes care of the difference. Since I am a casual photographer, it would sufficient for now.

Regarding lenses, a dumb question. So if I buy a sony cam, I am locked in to Sony lenses for future? Same for Nikon and canon? Or are there adapters that enable the camera for other lenses?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I guess you misunderstood by the terms 'constant' and 'variable'.
Constant aperture means, max aperture will be the same across zoom range whereas in variable, aperture gets smaller as you zoom.

Yes, you have to use it's native lens. Yes, there are adapters but they come with some limitations. Better stick with native mount lenses unless you're interested in exploring.
Yes, same for Nikon and Canon too.

OP
angie

angie

I guess you misunderstood by the terms 'constant' and 'variable'.
Constant aperture means, max aperture will be the same across zoom range whereas in variable, aperture gets smaller as you zoom.
yes I got that. So while zooming in a video with variable aperture, the light will start reducing. So not very good. I will stick with a cheap lense for now. I can upgrade at a later time.

I am guessing a variable aperture lense of 28-70 mm would also be available from Nikon and Canon similar to Sony and pretty cheap?

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Hey, I've been using a Sony NEX 6 for close to 3 years now. Very satisfied. Take the kit lens for now, sony lenses are coming out very often now so you'll have many choices in the future to get more. You'll also discover that you can use old manual lenses at prices as low as 3-5k for a 50mm1.4

OP
angie

angie

Hey, I've been using a Sony NEX 6 for close to 3 years now. Very satisfied. Take the kit lens for now, sony lenses are coming out very often now so you'll have many choices in the future to get more. You'll also discover that you can use old manual lenses at prices as low as 3-5k for a 50mm1.4
yeah, I don't think I will ever have a professional interest in photography, don't have the time. The mirrorless camera sounds good, reviews are good. For now the cheap lense is fine.

I might buy the expensive constant aperture lense later. But that would pretty much be it.

Top Bottom