Friends should I go for this Laptop??? Opinion required

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes.Core edition means untouched RTM install while SL/single language or country specific means a modified version of core/RTM win 8 was used to install in which case the embedded bios key will not activate any other version(read core/RTM version which you can get online).

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
What happened with the warranty situation? DELL had declared that they won't provide warranty for Flipkart purchasers.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Since you got a Dell here are some things you must take care of(speaking from experience):
1.Be very careful about adapter(& its cable) as dell only allows battery charging from its own adapter only.Use a surge protector like belkin for extra protection especially if your house mains supply is not controlled by inverter.
2.Since no dvd drive so immediately create restore disks on another hdd(mobile or your pc over lan).
3.Never experiment with linux/easyBCD/partition resize(including windows own tool)/anything similar on the laptop unless you consider yourself capable of fixing a broken partition/file system by rewriting/rearranging sectors offsets & such.
4.If & when you get a chance to extend warranty for reasonable rate,say 5000 for another 2 years,go for it eyes closed.

In the end run this command in command prompt(run cmd as admin) slmgr.vbs /dlv
If the result shows sku is "CoreSingleLanguage" or "CoreCountrySpecific" then you can not use win 8 iso to reinstall/fresh install & must keep restore disks images very safely(e.g.one copy in pc & one in mobile hdd).If it shows win 8 or core edition then you can use win 8 iso in future to reinstall win 8.

P.S.If you got Mcafee free with this even then don't install/use it.I recommend Avira for free version or kaspersky for paid version.
THANK YOU FRIEND!!!
My First Laptop/Ultrabook in my Life.
A TRUE GENIUS FRIEND WHO HAS DEMONSTRATED HIS WELL & GOOD WISH FOR A FRIEND. I SHALL ABIDE BY YOUR COMMENTS AS IF I AM LOOKING AT A MANUAL.
THANKS ONCE AGAIN.

In fact before the start of this Diwali Sale, I bought 3 products from amazon.in:mrgreen: which are :

*img661.imageshack.us/img661/9556/e33zO2.png

Items have been reverted back to premium cost.:lol:
2).So, Friend already have an external DVD-writer.
3). Can I use G-Parted Live-CD for rearranging,allocation of new partition as ext4 for Linux??
3). In this Diwali offer,the Rs.5,000/- valuation is FREE for warranty for 2 years.

What happened with the warranty situation? DELL had declared that they won't provide warranty for Flipkart purchasers.
AFAIK, DELL won't provide warranty for Laptops purchased from Amazon.in
Till now, buyers from Flipkart,Snapdeal and even eBay will be provided warranty from DELL as per latest info.

Last edited:

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
Dell has their own shopping site compuindia.com only they are authorised to sell Dell stuff, no warranty on any other purchase.

I wanted to buy Dell lappy, but not sure about quality of its product and services

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now Dell warns shoppers against buying from Snapdeal - MediaNama
Here?s what Amazon, Ebay, Flipkart, Snapdeal and others said about honoring e-commerce warranties in India - MediaNama
*www.medianama.com/wp-content/uploads/HP-India-Online-Advisory.jpg
Flipkart is not there & most importantly notice the bold parts..Indian consumer laws are very good & companies know it that is why they use sentences like "may not be able to","may not provide" etc instead of "will not be able to" or "will not provide".If you get a genuine product it is very hard for any company in India to refuse warranty unless that product is illegally imported or stolen.

[MENTION=123453]kg11sgbg[/MENTION],don't use any partition resize software or cd.For experimenting linux/partition resizing use your desktop.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

Here?s what Amazon, Ebay, Flipkart, Snapdeal and others said about honoring e-commerce warranties in India - MediaNama
Flipkart is not there & most importantly notice the bold parts..Indian consumer laws are very good & companies know it that is why they use sentences like "may not be able to","may not provide" etc instead of "will not be able to" or "will not provide".If you get a genuine product it is very hard for any company in India to refuse warranty unless that product is illegally imported or stolen.

[MENTION=123453]kg11sgbg[/MENTION],don't use any partition resize software or cd.For experimenting linux/partition resizing use your desktop.
means I shall be rest assured that purchasing from Flipkart won't void the warranty.
If I want a dual booting system with Linux OS(preferably Ubuntu / openSUSE) then can't I do it in the ultra book,friend
[MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION]?

Last edited:

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
today i spoke to Dell customer care and he said, i will get 1 year warranty even on any dell laptop bought from any of the online shop.

but he couldnt answer my query about extended warranty

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
[MENTION=123453]kg11sgbg[/MENTION],The answer to your question is if it is worth all the time consuming potential problems you may face while installing ubuntu/linux alongside windows 8 on this dell laptop.If yes then then start by reading at least 4-5 articles & some youtube videos keeping the possiblity in mind that you may lose original dell win 8/any win 8(if it is not core edition,see my previous post regarding this) forever.If no then simply use win 8 only & for linux use dektop.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

@kg11sgbg,The answer to your question is if it is worth all the time consuming potential problems you may face while installing ubuntu/linux alongside windows 8 on this dell laptop.If yes then then start by reading at least 4-5 articles & some youtube videos keeping the possiblity in mind that you may lose original dell win 8/any win 8(if it is not core edition,see my previous post regarding this) forever.If no then simply use win 8 only & for linux use dektop.
Friend I got you,but a little clarification needed regarding the loss of original Windows 8.1
Will there be possibility of grub not recognising Windows alongside Linux.

Suppose I do this :--->(Please rectify my steps)

1) First and foremost I shall build all the recovery DVD's of Windows/Windows Image.
Shall check that whether it is a core edition or a non-core edition(single language,region,etc.)

2). Shall defragment the drive C:\>,properly.

3). Now resize Windows Partition carefully without loss of data.

4). Extra empty space to be created for ext4 and swap partition.

5). Supposingly Install Ubuntu-14.04(64-bit) LTS version.

Then still I shall lose Windows-8.1?!!?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
googled installing ubuntu with windows 8.1 dell laptop & got these(i don't use linux in an installed form,sometimes run it using live usb)
Install Ubuntu 14.04 alongside Windows 8.1 in 10 easy steps « Everyday Linux User
dual boot - Dualbooting Windows 8.1 with Ubuntu 14.04(Current OS) - Ask Ubuntu
PenguinTutor - Installing Ubuntu on a Dell Inspiron 17 laptop (7737) dual boot with Windows 8 / 8.1
I neither use 2 OS on same hard disk & nor recommend it to anyone.I recommend softwares like vmware player or virtualbox or install on a separate hdd(not possible in usual laptop) or use live linux usb method.Even if you follow all the steps something may still go wrong so it is your choice.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

^@whitestar_999,Thanks for your valuable advice.
In fact for the past 7 years or so I have tinkered with numerous Linux distros alongside Windows installation.
OBVIOUSLY IN MY DESKTOP.

Presently,in my Desktop I have Windows-7, Windows-10(Technical Preview Version),Fedora,Ubuntu,openSUSE and Linux Mint all in their 64-bit versions installed on separate partitions and on separate HDD's.
I again heed your warning and important advice,but by GOD's blessings and well wishers like you, MAY BE I WON'T ERASE EVERYTHING ON THE HDD(of DELL Ultrabook) and go in for a custom installation of Linux alongside Windows. It may be the Ubuntu or openSUSE-13.2(64-bit) which is going to be launched.
Only question is can the Linux OS be installed in UEFI BIOS mode or in LEGACY BIOS mode?

- - - Updated - - -

Current status of my order :--->

*img661.imageshack.us/img661/2637/8ev62w.png

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
i had a talk with my hardware vendor in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. he told me that he has seen 4-5 cases in which some people (in ebay) have sold dell laptops which were imported or *cough* without warranty (items not to be sold in India) and when problem arose, dell cc refused to entertain them. that may also be a reason for this (not providing warranty). if some retailer buys from dell india and sells it online, then i think there won't be any problem and they will provide the warranty.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

i had a talk with my hardware vendor in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. he told me that he has seen 4-5 cases in which some people (in ebay) have sold dell laptops which were imported or *cough* without warranty (items not to be sold in India) and when problem arose, dell cc refused to entertain them. that may also be a reason for this (not providing warranty). if some retailer buys from dell india and sells it online, then i think there won't be any problem and they will provide the warranty.

At least no issues between Flipkart & DELL,for the time being,relating to warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

Linux latest versions are compatible with uefi mode.See the 3rd link in my previous post.
Yeah,Sorry to miss it, inspite of its presence with your caring and sharing of Knowlwdge.

Well, I shall follow it step -by-step ,after creating all of the RESCUE WINDOWS DVD from DELL Inspiron 14 5447 Ultrabook.

The BIOS settings must be selected to UEFI by default as the page says.

I have a Ubuntu-14.04(64-bit) LTS DVD ready with me.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

It does not have a dvd drive(that is why it is slim),you have to use pen drive booting method.

Actually Friend I do have an external slim portable DVD-writer from LG, the GP50NB40.

I think you missed #23 comment post by me,in this section just on the previous page.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

Received my DELL 14 5447 Laptop/Ultrabook today.:-D
Excellent packaging by Flipkart and super service from Ekart Logistics.

- - - Updated - - -
@whitestar_999 , could you please help me regarding the creation of rescue DVD's . Since this procedure is unlike Windows7,moreover there was no rescue partition present, this is an OEM version of Windows 8.1(64bit) only.

- - - Updated - - -

Ultimately, created a rescue image of windows-8.1 in 16GB usb pen drive.

OP
kg11sgbg

kg11sgbg

There should be a dell backup & recovery software pre-installed on the laptop with step-by-step instructions,try that.

Yes.
Friend how do i enter into the BIOS? I mean which key to press,during boot up so as to enter into BIOS.
Tried with [DEL] and [F2] key ,separately,but system booted up to windows-8.1 normally.
This configuring aspect in DELL Inspiron 14 5447 Ultrabook/Notebook is quite complex when compared to that of my Desktop-PC. Obviously for NOOBS like me.