Free Zonealarm firewall for Vista- stay away for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
The free Zonealarm firewall was quite a hit for a longtime but now a downslide seems to be on. I have been using it from time immemorial on my ME/XP dual boot system and the problem began when Zonelabs jettisoned Windows Me and started " for windows XP only" version 6.5.722.0. I installed it on XP . The program itself was functioning OK but I noticed that the Raxco Perfect Disk defragmenter refused to execute the boottime defrag citing some driver incompatibility.I uninstalled Zone Alarm and the problem vanished.Doing a websearch I found that many users were experiencing the same or similar problems.I went back to the earlier Windows ME/XP version 6.1.744.001 and using it till date.Since that experience I had shunned any updated versions from Zonelabs.
The trouble began again with my new Windows Vista Dell lappie.I wanted to disable the windows firewall and install a third party firewall. Naturally Zonealarm firewall for Vista was my choice.I went through the users reviews in download.com and there were quite a few adverse reviews that the installation itself was problematic resulting in BSOD.In many cases of adverse reviews I have found that the users themselves had a very badly maintained PC, which was responsible for the many problems they had with many good programs.So I decided to go ahead with the Vista version of the Zonealarm 7.1.78.0 after creating a manual system restore point.

To my chagrin midway through, the installation failed and a BSOD was staring at me.I restarted Vista and Vista complained of improper shutdown and suggested that I boot in safe mode for troubleshooting. I ignored it and clicked on "start windows normally" keeping my fingers crossed.The system booted fine and I was relieved. I think I should have left it at that. But worried that the installation might have resulted in some corruption I decided to restore the system to the manually created restore point.

And what a shock! The system restore failed and suggested another restore point..I decided to go with the system created restorepoint at the Zone alarm installation point, hoping that the system will be restored to the condition at that point.My heart was pounding as my system was brand new and I had never experienced any catastrophic BSOD before with ME or XP.
When Vista started, it complained and switched on the Repair process (Windows Recovery Tool). It kicked in automatically as designed by DELL.( I understand that this Windows Recovery tool is available in the Installation Media and in case you installed the OS yourself you have to insert the media and manually choose the repair option.) Again I kept my fingers crossed and after a few agonising minutes much to my relief the Desktop appeared and since then everything is fine.Naturally it is a harrowing tale and Zonealarm is out of my mind now and forever.I am now rushing for a suitable imaging software.I will now not install any program without creating an image for restoration.Do not install Zone Alarm for Vista Version 7.1.78.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom