Found a dead pixel on my mobile phone's screen-what to do now?

quicky008

Technomancer
I have a galaxy grand phone which is only 3 months old.It has been working fine till date but today after i turned it on in the evening,i noticed a tiny black spot at the upper left corner of its screen that didn't exist earlier.Initially i assumed it was probably just a speck of dirt and so i tried to wipe it away using a soft cloth but it was of no use-i examined that particular area of its display under bright light but couldn't find any traces of dirt or grime anywhere-it was absolutely clean and clear.So I think the screen must have developed a dead pixel and I really have no idea about how i can get it fixed.

To determine whether its indeed a dead pixel or not I used an utility called dead pixel detect and fix that is available at the play store-it can display a range of colors on the screen so that the user can check whether its functioning properly or not-when i tried this function i noticed something odd-on selecting red and green colors the dead pixel cannot be seen at all whereas its visible prominently when white,yellow and blue and grey colors are selected.So i'm totally confused about what's actually wrong with my phone-should i go to samsung's service center and ask them to check my phone?More importantly,does samsung replace lcd screens of cell phones that have only one dead pixel?

Also I'm a bit wary about giving my phone for service as its brand new and is virtually scratchless and I'm afraid that the technicians at the service center may damage/or cause scratches on its surface due to their characteristic rough handling.Please advice me about what I'm supposed to do now-I'm really worried. :-(

Last edited:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I have a galaxy grand phone which is only 3 months old.It has been working fine till date but today after i turned it on in the evening,i noticed a tiny black spot at the upper left corner of its screen that didn't exist earlier.Initially i assumed it was probably just a speck of dirt and so i tried to wipe it away using a soft cloth but it was of no use-i examined that particular area of its display under bright light but couldn't find any traces of dirt or grime anywhere-it was absolutely clean and clear.So I think the screen must have developed a dead pixel and I really have no idea about how i can get it fixed.

To determine whether its indeed a dead pixel or not I used an utility called dead pixel detect and fix that is available at the play store-it can display a range of colors on the screen so that the user can check whether its functioning properly or not-when i tried this function i noticed something odd-on selecting red and green colors the dead pixel cannot be seen at all whereas its visible prominently when white,yellow and blue and grey colors are selected.So i'm totally confused about what's actually wrong with my phone-should i go to samsung's service center and ask them to check my phone?More importantly,does samsung replace lcd screens of cell phones that have only one dead pixel?

Also I'm a bit wary about giving my phone for service as its brand new and is virtually scratchless and I'm afraid that the technicians at the service center may damage/or cause scratches on its surface due to their characteristic rough handling.Please advice me about what I'm supposed to do now-I'm really worried. :-(

if you want best results , fire off an email to samsung support and blast them on selling you such a phone and ask them to give you a direct replacement or your money back..(no jokes,it really works most of the time)
if they dont help, try akosha(website),theyll take a small fee and help you out
hope i helped :)

OR

take pictures of the phone before sending it for service with the date shown on the pics and send it for repair and compare
if there are scratches,send them a complaint regarding it and continue the steps with email etc(above)

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
if you want best results , fire off an email to samsung support and blast them on selling you such a phone and ask them to give you a direct replacement or your money back..(no jokes,it really works most of the time)
if they dont help, try akosha(website),theyll take a small fee and help you out
hope i helped :)

OR

take pictures of the phone before sending it for service with the date shown on the pics and send it for repair and compare
if there are scratches,send them a complaint regarding it and continue the steps with email etc(above)

Thanks a lot for replying-Will they really issue me a replacement handset if i write to them about my problem and demand that they should resolve it asap?If yes,I'd definitely like to give it a try! I was under the impression that a company only replaces a product if it develops some defect shortly after purchase-as my phone is already 3 months old I wonder whether this will also work in my case or not.

I wish to send it for servicing only as a last resort-like I've said before,the people who work at those service centers are sometimes very negligent about the way they handle these delicate items and I'm afraid they might do some damage to my phone through sheer carelessness if i send it to them for repairs-and i don't really think complaining later will be of any use as they'll probably just flatly deny having done anything wrong(unless i take pictures to prove my point,like you've suggested)-As its a pretty expensive device,i don't really wish to take that risk just yet.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Thanks a lot for replying-Will they really issue me a replacement handset if i write to them about my problem and demand that they should resolve it asap?If yes,I'd definitely like to give it a try! I was under the impression that a company only replaces a product if it develops some defect shortly after purchase-as my phone is already 3 months old I wonder whether this will also work in my case or not.

I wish to send it for servicing only as a last resort-like I've said before,the people who work at those service centers are sometimes very negligent about the way they handle these delicate items and I'm afraid they might do some damage to my phone through sheer carelessness if i send it to them for repairs-and i don't really think complaining later will be of any use as they'll probably just flatly deny having done anything wrong(unless i take pictures to prove my point,like you've suggested)-As its a pretty expensive device,i don't really wish to take that risk just yet.

no problem,just fire off an email with your concerns and write that you expected a device to be flawless or something like that and that youll only accept a replacement or your money , it should scare them enough into giving you one
ive done this before to dell for my friends laptop and they gave him an upgraded unit(not likely in your case :p ) but its still worth a try i guess
good luck :)

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
no problem,just fire off an email with your concerns and write that you expected a device to be flawless or something like that and that youll only accept a replacement or your money , it should scare them enough into giving you one
ive done this before to dell for my friends laptop and they gave him an upgraded unit(not likely in your case :p ) but its still worth a try i guess

Thanks,I sent them one such email earlier today and I'm waiting for them to reply-lets wait and see what happens.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
They have replied stating that someone from samsung support will call me within 24 hrs-I wonder what they are gonna say to me.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Over 48 hrs have elapsed since i got their email but no one from their end has called me till now-i wonder why's it taking them so long to get in touch with me.Is there anything I can do to find out what they are really upto right now?

Last edited:

amjath

Human Spambot
Call Samsung toll free number [1800 266 8282] ask them whether is it possible to get your device replaced. Talk to them and tell us here what happened

- - - Updated - - -

tell them about the email too

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Today in the evening i finally received a call from a Samsung tech support guy-he said that I'll have to submit my phone for checking to any of their service centers,after checking my phone they'll provide me with a job sheet,which i'll have to send it to them by email.After receiving the job sheet they'll discuss the issue with their management and then decide whether they'll replace my phone or not.This process seems a little too convoluted for my liking but i think if i don't do what he said,they won't cooperate with me.So it seems i have no choice but to send my phone to their service center now (even though I'm afraid that those guys may inadvertently scratch or damage my phone while trying to determine what the problem is).

amjath

Human Spambot
^ u can take ur phone back after the check. It will take few minutes I guess, nothing to worry

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
see what they say and keep sending emails if they refuse to replace,all these corporates only work with emails usually
for now wait and watch at the service centre and do take pics of the phone at the service centre before submitting and ensure the service centre is visible in the background or something for proof just in case

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
see what they say and keep sending emails if they refuse to replace,all these corporates only work with emails usually
for now wait and watch at the service centre and do take pics of the phone at the service centre before submitting and ensure the service centre is visible in the background or something for proof just in case
Thanks a lot for lending me your valued advice kkn13. I am planning to take it to the service centre tomorrow. Will it be ok if I take the photos of my phone at my home rather than at the service centre? It wil be somewhat cumbersome to carry my camera all the way to the service centre and take pictures just before submitting the phone for checking,so it would have been more convenient for me to do it at home.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Samsung SVC is hopeless,they sold me a handset(Galaxy S3) which developed numerous dead pixels on screen after 8 days. I asked for refund and other drama followed,and the last they did was to change the screen under warranty. Now the screen itself forms the chassis in GS3,which then started developing chips and paint fade. I complained again,and they had the audacity to say that it is a surfacial issue and is a common one. They also suggested that people wearing jeans usually face this issue. That day I had decided that it was my last SamDung ever :evil:
SO don't expect any help from customer care. Just get the screen replaced and move on. Best of Luck

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Thanks a lot for lending me your valued advice kkn13. I am planning to take it to the service centre tomorrow. Will it be ok if I take the photos of my phone at my home rather than at the service centre? It wil be somewhat cumbersome to carry my camera all the way to the service centre and take pictures just before submitting the phone for checking,so it would have been more convenient for me to do it at home.

i said service centre so theres proof that the phone had no scratches before undergoing service that way they wont argue with you as you took the photos in their own service centre before submitting
[MENTION=119347]swiftshashi[/MENTION] is right but im sure scaring them with a consumer complaint should work out mostly

amjath

Human Spambot
Samsung SVC is hopeless,they sold me a handset(Galaxy S3) which developed numerous dead pixels on screen after 8 days. I asked for refund and other drama followed,and the last they did was to change the screen under warranty. Now the screen itself forms the chassis in GS3,which then started developing chips and paint fade. I complained again,and they had the audacity to say that it is a surfacial issue and is a common one. They also suggested that people wearing jeans usually face this issue. That day I had decided that it was my last SamDung ever :evil:
SO don't expect any help from customer care. Just get the screen replaced and move on. Best of Luck

its true that silver paint ring around the phone comes off aging

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer

This sounds really frustrating to say the least.I was reading some ongoing discussions at a few other forums like androidauthority etc about this dead pixel issue earlier today-it seems people living overseas i.e. in countries like UK,USA etc did manage to get their handsets replaced after they developed one or more dead pixels.Therefore its quite possible that samsung does replace phones with dead pixels in developed nations but doesn't extend the same favour to their consumers in 3rd world countries like India-this is really unfair,dead pixels really bother me and even one dead pixel annoys me greatly whenever i look at the screen.And how can they expect us to spend thousands on electronics which develop such annoying defects within just a few months of purchase?So I think they should take these issues more seriously and replace devices having dead pixels,otherwise we should stop buying their products completely,like you've so aptly suggested.

[MENTION=184724]kkn13[/MENTION]:Ok,i'll try to take pictures at the service center itself,if possible.

Top Bottom