Flash Player/Internet Explorer outdated messages on Android

hari1

In the zone
I am using Moto G with Android 4.4.2 and facing a weird Windows like virus problem on it.

Infection initial symptoms:
Play Store stopped working. Opening google.com and facebook.com shows flash player outdated alert box and then goes to a fake page with the address of google.com or facebook.com which asks to download Flash Player or IE update. It is an .exe file.

Current issues and symptoms:
1. Play Store not working
2. Facebook.com, Google.com and Bing.com do not open and only flash player download page opens.
3. Opening any other page shows the flash player/IE alert and then the website works properly.

Steps taken in order to remove the infection:
1. Scanned using MalwareBytes and AVG. No virus found.
2. Uninstalled a lot of apps and only few trusted apps remain. But still problem is present.
3. Cleared data of Play Store and Google Chrome. But still problem is present.

When I boot in safe mode, the problem disappears. After rebooting to normal mode, the problem did not come for a 10-12 hours but it has started again.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Android doesn't have Internet explorer.

And from the description of your problem, it seems you are talking about PC. Since Android don't have "Safe Mode" either. Android have bootloader. If its really an "Android" device you are talking about then yea, hard resetting should solve the problem. And then install apps only from play store and only properly reviewed apps. Since many apps on Play store is itself malicious.

OP
hari1

hari1

In the zone
Android doesn't have Internet explorer.

And from the description of your problem, it seems you are talking about PC. Since Android don't have "Safe Mode" either. Android have bootloader. If its really an "Android" device you are talking about then yea, hard resetting should solve the problem. And then install apps only from play store and only properly reviewed apps. Since many apps on Play store is itself malicious.

Android doesn't have IE but this virus forgot that it is android :lol:
And, android has a safe mode. Go google it :p
I know resetting will solve the problem. :-? I want to remove the virus without resetting.

priyankgupta

Journeyman
may be you can try uninstalling apps one by one in safe mode (starting with the ones that look most suspicious). After the malicious app is uninstalled, the problem should disappear.

Top Bottom