Few keys of Acer Aspire 5 (8th gen) are unresponsive sometimes

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
Few keys of my 4 months old Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G don't work sometimes. This includes t,j,]. p.spacebar,v and some more. Sometimes they work just fine and sometimes they just don't. I have to press them some 10-20 times before they start working again.

I tried scanning for drivers but it shows that they are up to date. Is there a way to know if this is some software or hardware issue? If its hardware, I'll have to take it to their support which I want to avoid as I know my visit won't be a joyful visit.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try with a live linux cd/usb to rule out any software/OS issue.Hopefully latest linux builds will have the required drivers for your laptop.If in linux too same issue then most likely hardware fault(probably some of the cables inside keyboard ribbon cable malfunctioned but they are not replaceable,entire keyboard needs to be changed in that case).

OP
D

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
Try with a live linux cd/usb to rule out any software/OS issue.Hopefully latest linux builds will have the required drivers for your laptop.If in linux too same issue then most likely hardware fault(probably some of the cables inside keyboard ribbon cable malfunctioned but they are not replaceable,entire keyboard needs to be changed in that case).

I'll try that. But if this is some issue like you mentioned shouldn't those keys just stop working? They work sometimes and sometimes they don't, which seems weird to me.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
In some cases the keys may work for sometimes but will stop working completely after a few weeks/months.It may still be driver related too hence first rule that out using linux.

Top Bottom