Facing Screen Flickering issue on AMD RX 580 Gpu? Please help

Aakarshan

In the zone
Hi i am using RX 580 since last 1.5 years.
My PC specs are :

Intel I5 - 4460
Kingston 8GB DDR3 RAM
Antec VP 500 PSU
AMD RX 580 Gpu
Windows 10
Sony Tv

I am facing this issue from last two days. I am facing screen flickering from last two days. Screen is flickering on normal desktop usage. Screen flickers the written text so i can't read any written text. I am facing flickering while playing videos and on browsing internet. Screen flickers alot when i play a video so it is almost unwatchable and in the browser it flickers alot so i can't read anything written text on the website.
One thing to notice that when i play games on my pc it doesn't tend to flicker. The games run fine. Sometime text in the games flicker but there is no other problem. When i change the system graphics to integrated graphics the PC works fine. There is no flickering when using integrated gpu.
When i tried turning off the hardware acceleration in the vlc and firefox the video and works fine. It does jitters but still watchable. But the problem is i can't turn off the hardware acceleration in the system. The display option in the control panel is not available. Is there any way to change the registry.
What could be the problem. Is there is any problem with my Gpu or it is a software related issue.

I have tried changing HDMI cable.
I have tried reinstalling the Gpu drivers by using DDU uninstaller.
I have tried restore windows to a earlier point but it doesn't works.

Here are the pics i am attaching related to my issue.

Please help to resolve this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can tell you that VP500 psu is not a good choice at all to run a card like RX580 & my first guess is your psu is the reason for this issue.

OP
A

Aakarshan

In the zone
I can tell you that VP500 psu is not a good choice at all to run a card like RX580 & my first guess is your psu is the reason for this issue.
But why does it work fine while playing games.

and flickers while doing some simple task like watching video or using desktop.It does flickers all the time. And i when i turn off the hardware acceleration the video and browser just works fine but with some jitters here and there.
It all did started when i used AMD chill to restrict my gpu frames.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't say for sure but using that psu to run RX580 is definitely taking a chance so suggesting you to change it anyway even if it turns out psu was not the reason. hardware acceleration itself means using graphics card/integrated graphics so when it is turned off everything is handled by processor alone & obviously your processor is not powerful enough to do it smoothly without help from hardware acceleration hence the jitters. I am hoping you tested already with this amd chill uninstalled/turned off.

OP
A

Aakarshan

In the zone
I can't say for sure but using that psu to run RX580 is definitely taking a chance so suggesting you to change it anyway even if it turns out psu was not the reason. hardware acceleration itself means using graphics card/integrated graphics so when it is turned off everything is handled by processor alone & obviously your processor is not powerful enough to do it smoothly without help from hardware acceleration hence the jitters. I am hoping you tested already with this amd chill uninstalled/turned off.
But games are working fine no problem at all. If the PSU is bottlenecking than the game should not work at all. It doesn't draw that much power.
So, what could be the solution?
Could it be a GPU driver related issue?
Should i use the GPU in another computer to see?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
RX580 at full load can draw as much as 225W power by itself. Now if your psu was a good 500w then it wouldn't be an issue but it is not so if you are running this card with this psu then you are taking chance, if you are lucky then nothing will happen but if not then your card will have issues.

You can try reset/refresh win 10(take backup of all important data first preferably in another hdd/portable hdd) & try with latest stable amd drivers without any boost/chill etc options enable to check.

OP
A

Aakarshan

In the zone
RX580 at full load can draw as much as 225W power by itself. Now if your psu was a good 500w then it wouldn't be an issue but it is not so if you are running this card with this psu then you are taking chance, if you are lucky then nothing will happen but if not then your card will have issues.

You can try reset/refresh win 10(take backup of all important data first preferably in another hdd/portable hdd) & try with latest stable amd drivers without any boost/chill etc options enable to check.
I did reset the PC, but the issue still remained the same as before. Some time after, the window crashed. And i was not able to boot it up. The windows was stuck on the booting screen.

So, i took it to a technician and he re-installed the windows. And he checked the PC and told that there is some problem with Graphics Card.

So, i removed the Graphics card.The PC is working fine without the Graphics card.

It is a Gigabyte card.
I will go to the service center with the card. The card is still under warranty.

I am also thinking to upgrade my power supply. I will next time use this graphics card with new power supply.

Can you please suggest me some power supply. I am thinking of buying this power supply. What do you think about this power supply - Buy Online Antec NE600G Zen 600W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply lowest price in india at www.theitdepot.com

Do i need gold tier power supply or bronze tier power supply is enough.

Thank you for your help.

OP
A

Aakarshan

In the zone
^ Corsair CX550 should be more than enough.
I don't want to miss out from a better Power supply for a few bucks.

Is Antec NE600G ZEN a good power supply.

Is Corsair CX550 enough or should i buy Antec NE600G Power Supply.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't want to miss out from a better Power supply for a few bucks.

Is Antec NE600G ZEN a good power supply.

Is Corsair CX500 enough or should i buy Antec NE600G Power Supply.

Thank you for your help.
Bronze, Gold etc are power efficiency ratings so it is possible that a bronze rated psu is better than a god rated psu. As for the case here there are many reviews of Corsair CX550(note exact model name,it is not CX500 or VS550) & many members here(incl myself) using it without issues & corsair after sales support is also known to be good. Antec NE600G Zen is similar to Corsair CXx5x series(CX450/CX550/CX650 etc) but is slightly more efficient(no practical electricity bill savings though) so in my opinion going for CX550 is a better option & it is cheaper too. @chimera201 may give better suggestion though.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
CX550 should be enough.

Have you tried going back to a previous GPU driver though? Did the graphics driver get updated recently?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you try using a different operating system? Ubuntu 20.04 for example?

Usually this helps in distinguishing between hardware and software issues.

OP
A

Aakarshan

In the zone
CX550 should be enough.

Have you tried going back to a previous GPU driver though? Did the graphics driver get updated recently?
CX550 would suffice IMO.
Okay i will prefer the CX550 at the time of buying.

Yes i have updated the Graphics Card drivers only after the problem started. Earlier i was using older drivers. But even after upgrading the drivers problem didn't got resolved.

So few days later, i took it to the service center. The counter representative told him that i will get my graphic card in 3-4 days.
So, as predicted i called them after 4 days and they told me that sir your graphic card is still not repaired. It will take 3-4 days more. So i asked me what is the problem with the graphics card? So, he told me that they haven't still diagnosed the Graphics Card and they don't know what is the problem yet. So i felt strange but i thought what i can do? I should wait for another few days.
After 3 days i again called them - i asked them again about my Graphics card and they told me that it is still hasn't been diagnosed yet please call us tomorrow after 2 pm. I felt unpleased. So again i called them next day. These guys are so unprofessional, they were tossing the phone around from one guy to another while i was connected on the line without informing me. I talked with the manager this whole time. And They told me that there is a problem with Vram and it does need to get repaired. They told me that they don't have the part for it so they offered me for a replacement with a refurbished card. So i accepted it.
He told me that they will provide me the replacement after the 6 days. It took them a week to diagnose a card and identify a problem.
So i waited for 6 days more and called again them on D - day and they told me that the card still has not arrived and they can't provide it. So i asked him to tell me a date on which i will get the card he told me that we can't tell you a date. So i asked him to get me to talk with the manager. He told me that the he will call me in 1 hour. I waited for 3 hours.
So, i got frustrated and i contacted the Gigabyte Regional manager - Mr. Saurabh Upadhahay stating him my full problem.
He told me that the problem is due to coronavirus. That is why it is getting late.
After 1 hour i got the call from the manager he told me that the lockdown is lifted and i will get my Graphics Card in 3-4 days. And we will call you by ourself.you won't be needed to call us. So, i told them that i will wait for 7 more days. So, i waited for their call and i didn't got it. So, i again called them after 6 days. They told me that your card has been still not yet not received by service center. You do one thing, please call us back again on next monday.
I got pissed off by now, and i asked him to let me talk to the manager.He told me that he is busy. And some moments later he agreed to give me his phone number. Which i did already had because i did earlier talked with the manager. This guy told me that sir it's been only 3 days please wait for some more time. I told him what are you saying. It's been 6 good days since i last called.( He was asking for the day's date from his colleague in the background. )
So, i tried to talk with the manager for 3 days. So, on the third day some guy who works closer with the manager told me that the manager has talked with him.He told me that the Graphics Card is still not dispatched yet and it will dispatch on next friday, it will be delivered to us after the dispatch in next 3-4 days. So, please call us on the next monday. He was dodging me. That little wanker.
It has been 23 days. It is a hell of a ride. Let's see how much long will it last.

I am still waiting for my graphics card.i don't know when i will get my graphics card.

Last edited:
Okay i will prefer the CX550 at the time of buying.

Yes i have updated the Graphics Card drivers only after the problem started. Earlier i was using older drivers. But even after upgrading the drivers problem didn't got resolved.

So few days later, i took it to the service center. The counter representative told him that i will get my graphic card in 3-4 days.
So, as predicted i called them after 4 days and they told me that sir your graphic card is still not repaired. It will take 3-4 days more. So i asked me what is the problem with the graphics card? So, he told me that they haven't still diagnosed the Graphics Card and they don't know what is the problem yet. So i felt strange but i thought what i can do? I should wait for another few days.
After 3 days i again called them - i asked them again about my Graphics card and they told me that it is still hasn't been diagnosed yet please call us tomorrow after 2 pm. I felt unpleased. So again i called them next day. These guys are so unprofessional, they were tossing the phone around from one guy to another while i was connected on the line without informing me. I talked with the manager this whole time. And They told me that there is a problem with Vram and it does need to get repaired. They told me that they don't have the part for it so they offered me for a replacement with a refurbished card. So i accepted it.
He told me that they will provide me the replacement after the 6 days. It took them a week to diagnose a card and identify a problem.
So i waited for 6 days more and called again them on D - day and they told me that the card still has not arrived and they can't provide it. So i asked him to tell me a date on which i will get the card he told me that we can't tell you a date. So i asked him to get me to talk with the manager. He told me that the he will call me in 1 hour. I waited for 3 hours.
So, i got frustrated and i contacted the Gigabyte Regional manager - Mr. Saurabh Upadhahay stating him my full problem.
He told me that the problem is due to coronavirus. That is why it is getting late.
After 1 hour i got the call from the manager he told me that the lockdown is lifted and i will get my Graphics Card in 3-4 days. And we will call you by ourself.you won't be needed to call us. So, i told them that i will wait for 7 more days. So, i waited for their call and i didn't got it. So, i again called them after 6 days. They told me that your card has been still not yet not received by service center. You do one thing, please call us back again on next monday.
I got pissed off by now, and i asked him to let me talk to the manager.He told me that he is busy. And some moments later he agreed to give me his phone number. Which i did already had because i did earlier talked with the manager. This guy told me that sir it's been only 3 days please wait for some more time. I told him what are you saying. It's been 6 good days since i last called.( He was asking for the day's date from his colleague in the background. )
So, i tried to talk with the manager for 3 days. So, on the third day some guy who works closer with the manager told me that the manager has talked with him.He told me that the Graphics Card is still not dispatched yet and it will dispatch on next friday, it will be delivered to us after the dispatch in next 3-4 days. So, please call us on the next monday. He was dodging me. That little wanker.
It has been 23 days. It is a hell of a ride. Let's see how much long will it last.

I am still waiting for my graphics card.i don't know when i will get my graphics card.
verireps - IndianGaming

Contact Eddie with your problem, he has helped many in the subreddit.

OP
A

Aakarshan

In the zone
verireps - IndianGaming

Contact Eddie with your problem, he has helped many in the subreddit.
I got a new RX 590 as a replacement. From last few days i have been trying to get it working, but it does crashes in every game.I have tried almost all drivers. All - old and new. I am still unable to find a stable drivers. Sometime it would work and sometimes the games would crash. Last time i played Battlefield and it worked fine. I will keep trying testing it.
Now this eddie guy is asking me to delete that post from reddit.

Last edited:
I got a new RX 590 as a replacement. From last few days i have been trying to get it working, but it does crashes in every game.I have tried almost all drivers. All - old and new. I am still unable to find a stable drivers. Sometime it would work and sometimes the games would crash. Last time i played Battlefield and it worked fine. I will keep trying testing it.
Now this eddie guy is asking me to delete that post from reddit.

Maybe propose Eddie that you will edit it as resolved once it is resolved. Try reinstalling Win10, sometimes new components cause issues. Generally latest stable driver should be stable, hope you are using AMD's latest Adrenaline drivers from their website. Continue asking Gigabyte for support.

Top Bottom