Extreme noob needs help to go wireless in about everything in his new house

STR-V

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

A guy from non-tech background and you may consider me a beginner, but not that much. xD

A fair warning: I'm a complete noob in wireless networking. So there are going to be a lot of questions in this thread. You may grab some popcorn & beer and laugh at me. :-D :cheers:

I recently moved to a place of my own [3000 sq.ft. , 4 bhk] and I want to setup a proper wireless network here. So I need a router with good coverage area. The signal should be strong throughout my house.
(Thinking of getting Asus RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router since it's top of the line and feature packed. But if it's overkill for my requirement, please let me know & suggest a proper setup)

This is my first time getting a WiFi router or going wireless for that matter & have no history related to it. [I just know how to connect to a WiFi network and use the Internet. xD]

To start with, I need WiFi so that I can connect my phones/tabs/laptops/TVs etc. to it for the internet connectivity.

What all I have & wish to connect:-
Samsung Smart TVs x 3
Laptops x 2
Tablets x 2
Phones x 5
Consoles x 2
A gaming rig (will use the ethernet port to connect this)

My current ISP is "YOU Broadband/Telecom" and I'm using their 50mbps plan which has 50GB FUP limit with 1mbps as post speed. They say it's fiber optic. They have their machine/modem/whatever on the rooftop of my building from which the cable comes and connects to my PC's ethernet port. (Explained this so that you'd know what kind of line this is since I don't know sh#t. Please let me know)

I have Movies, TV Shows, Personal Media collection of about 9 TB in total distributed across 3 x 2TB USB3.0 External HDD, 1 x 3TB USB3.0 External HDD and my PCs hard drive. Almost all of the media is of 1080p standard.
What I want to do here is access & stream this media on all my TVs via WiFi. If possible, on my other devices as well.
Please tell me how I can do it.

Now here the questions come:-

My ISP requires me to login (PPPoE) in order to use the internet. This is windows dialogue where I have to put the username & password they provided me with in order to connect to the internet. Sometimes it gets logged out automatically if I'm connected for a long time. In such cases, I have to reconnect manually by putting username & password again.
Q. So I won't have to do this once I setup WiFi, right?

Q. Since I want to watch movies on my TV by streaming over WiFi, does it use my internet data? Or does it stream via the radio signals? As you know I have a very limited data plan (50GB) at 50mbps, I don't want it all gone because of Streaming. So please tell me how it works.

Q. If I want to access my media of 9TB on all my 15 devices, how can I do it?

Q. Is it possible to stream a movie on one of my TVs and simultaneously stream a different movie on my other TV? My point here is can I access different data at the same time on different devices? If yes, please explain how to do it.

Q. I do a lot of online competitive gaming. Mostly CSGO where ping is a big issue. I don't want to f#ck up my ping by using WiFi. Please tell me how I can keep it stable.

Q. Is there any way I can throttle the internet speed for other devices connected to the WiFi when I am gaming so I won't face any ping/lag issues?

Q. Does it affect the ping if someone else is streaming a movie on their TV and at the same time, I am gaming?

I know it's a TL;DR but I'd appreciate your kind answers, explanations, guides and honesty.

One last question,

Q. What came first? Chicken or Egg?
XD. JK.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
STR-V

Gollum

Collector
Well, you need an expensive access point.
Get anything from TP link above 2k and you should be good to go.

Some options below
1:
Flipkart

2: Cheaper:
Flipkart 2

amjath

Human Spambot
Q. So I won't have to do this once I setup WiFi, right?

A. You have to

Q. Since I want to watch movies on my TV by streaming over WiFi, does it use my internet data? Or does it stream via the radio signals? As you know I have a very limited data plan (50GB) at 50mbps, I don't want it all gone because of Streaming. So please tell me how it works.

A. It will not use your bandwidth if u want to stream from your device

Q. If I want to access my media of 9TB on all my 15 devices, how can I do it?

A. Get a router with a USB port, connect your HDD to it. Or get a Raspberry Pi to setup home media center/NAS with low power/budget

Q. Is it possible to stream a movie on one of my TVs and simultaneously stream a different movie on my other TV? My point here is can I access different data at the same time on different devices? If yes, please explain how to do it.

A. Yes. In Windows, you can right click on your media file and select "play to" to your one tv and select another file select another tv from "play to"

Q. I do a lot of online competitive gaming. Mostly CSGO where ping is a big issue. I don't want to f#ck up my ping by using WiFi. Please tell me how I can keep it stable.

A. Ping and WIFI?? Didnt get you

Q. Is there any way I can throttle the internet speed for other devices connected to the WiFi when I am gaming so I won't face any ping/lag issues?

A. Dont know how much bandwidth online games needs. Looking at your internet speed, i think you will have no issues

Q. Does it affect the ping if someone else is streaming a movie on their TV and at the same time, I am gaming?

A. depends on streaming video quality

First of all welcome [MENTION=295419]STR-V[/MENTION]. Some Answers are in line to the quoted posts

Last edited:
OP
S

STR-V

Well, you need an expensive access point.
Get anything from TP link above 2k and you should be good to go.

Some options below
1:
Flipkart

2: Cheaper:
Flipkart 2
Thank you for replying. Do you think one of those will be enough for all my needs? What about the signal strength?

OP
S

STR-V

First of all welcome [MENTION=295419]STR-V[/MENTION]. Some Answers are in line to the quoted posts
Thank you for the warm welcome & answers. What do you think what all should I buy to build a proper & flawless setup?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Read these & decide for yourself:
ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router Reviewed - SmallNetBuilder
TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND Ultimate Wireless N Gigabit Router Reviewed - SmallNetBuilder

Top Bottom