External HDD drive connector cable - quality difference ?

karthik316_1999

In the zone
Hello all,

I've been using a couple of seagate external hard disc drives for quite sometime. Recently, one of my drives had a problem with connectivity due to a damage on the cable pin at the hard disc end. (It's a normal USB A to Micro B cable) It would not securely/firmly fit on the port of the drive and as a result the connection was getting dropped very frequently with the hard disc being ejected & inserted automatically.

Out on the market looking for a cable, I came upon a couple of brands that had slightly different pins on the hard disc connector end. Attaching sample pics of each of these for reference. One could clearly see that one of them has an additional cut-out kind of setup (clearly felt when running your fingers over them) while the other is a flat feel connector with just some fine marking lines.. I noticed that the original from Seagate was of the second design.

Is there a difference between the two ?
Note: I'm not referring to the pins on the bottom side of the cable at the hard drive end where-in there are 2 protrusions like a micro-usb cable..

Attachments

• Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    166.4 KB · Views: 107

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Hello all,

I've been using a couple of seagate external hard disc drives for quite sometime. Recently, one of my drives had a problem with connectivity due to a damage on the cable pin at the hard disc end. (It's a normal USB A to Micro B cable) It would not securely/firmly fit on the port of the drive and as a result the connection was getting dropped very frequently with the hard disc being ejected & inserted automatically.

Out on the market looking for a cable, I came upon a couple of brands that had slightly different pins on the hard disc connector end. Attaching sample pics of each of these for reference. One could clearly see that one of them has an additional cut-out kind of setup (clearly felt when running your fingers over them) while the other is a flat feel connector with just some fine marking lines.. I noticed that the original from Seagate was of the second design.

Is there a difference between the two ?
Note: I'm not referring to the pins on the bottom side of the cable at the hard drive end where-in there are 2 protrusions like a micro-usb cable..

Not much of a difference except the one with dent on top will secure much better.

Top Bottom