error message coming" scan drive now and fix error"

jass79

New to this forum
I just bought a new wd passport which i am using with my laptop. Everytime i connect it a message arrives " there is a problem with the drive, scan drive now and fix error" . i just ignore the message and everything works fine. I want to know that why this message is comming. is my hdd having sonme problem??

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
There could be a problem with the HDD or it's partition table. So before putting any serious stuff or loads of data better perform a scan with HDTune and a full format of the drive. Also if possible try connecting the drive with another pc / laptop.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@OP: scan the drive for bad sectors using HDTune..and also check its health report summary (if u see any warning)

if needed take backup and zero fill the drive (format) using HDTune

DK_WD

WD Official
I just bought a new wd passport which i am using with my laptop. Everytime i connect it a message arrives " there is a problem with the drive, scan drive now and fix error" . i just ignore the message and everything works fine. I want to know that why this message is comming. is my hdd having sonme problem??

Hi jass79,

I am sorry to hear about it. As per topgear and Zangetsu update, I agree with them, It could be bad sector issue in HDD. To confirm the possible reason, please run the Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics in the system.

Please refer to the link below for Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics:

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows .

If it’s a hardware issue and the HDD is still under warranty, I’d suggest you to proceed for an RMA. For RMA service, you may refer to the link below.

How to get an RMA, (Return Merchandise Authorization) or replace a defective product under warranty .

For more information about warranty support, you may visit to WD Support / Warranty Services / End User / Worldwide Warranty Policy and Limitations .

Hope it helps.

Top Bottom