Enhancing Volume

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Hi Guys,

I have a .m4a audio file. Its bitrate is 256 kbps. I want to enhance the volume of certain parts. Upon googling found some tools but they can enhance the volume of only mp3 files. When I convert this .m4a file to .mp3 the sound quality/volume degrades. Can anyone please suggest some good apps for this purpose?

Thanks

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try this:
Free audio converter for macOS and Windows

Also rename extension from .m4a to .mp4 if software does not accept m4a files.m4a extension is just used to differentiate audio only mp4 files from usual video+audio mp4 files so renaming extension to mp4 won't actually change anything.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
FFMPEG may require some learning. You might have downloaded the make file package instead of Windows binary.

You can import the FFMPEG libraries into Audacity and then seemlessly handle these type of media files.

First go to Audacity - Edit - Preferences - Libraries and click Download. A webpage link will follow. Follow the instructions therein to download the Windows EXE for FFMPEG libraries. Install them and Audacity shall auto detect them and then you can work with such files in Audacity. Give it a try.

mpeg2.png

Minion

Conversation Architect
Hi Guys,

I have a .m4a audio file. Its bitrate is 256 kbps. I want to enhance the volume of certain parts. Upon googling found some tools but they can enhance the volume of only mp3 files. When I convert this .m4a file to .mp3 the sound quality/volume degrades. Can anyone please suggest some good apps for this purpose?

Thanks
I would suggest you to use pot player it has some kind of volume booster which works pretty well.Converting will always degrades volume and quality.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Working ffmpeg command:
ffmpeg.exe -i inputFilePath.m4a -ab 256k -af 'volume=1.5' outputFilePath.m4a
Example: ffmpeg.exe -i Mistborn-\ Collected\ Tales.m4a -ab 256k -af 'volume=1.5' MistbornIsAMAZING.m4a

-af 'volume=1.5' means volume increase by 50%.
-ab 256k specifies bitrate
Change as you wish.
NOOB WINDOWS GUIDE:

- Download ffmpeg direct link OR Get from www.ffmpeg.org/download.html
- Only one file is required from the downloaded zip file : bin/ffmpeg.exe . In bin folder - ffmpeg.exe . Extract it anywhere, say c:
- open cmd.exe > cd c:
- Run above ffmpeg command . Changing inputFilePATH.m4a to outputFilePATH.m4a

Done!

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I would suggest you to use pot player it has some kind of volume booster which works pretty well.Converting will always degrades volume and quality.
Not available for Android I guess. Moreover it needs to be trimmed and voice of only specific parts need to be enhanced.
Working ffmpeg command:

-af 'volume=1.5' means volume increase by 50%.
-ab 256k specifies bitrate
Change as you wish.
NOOB WINDOWS GUIDE:

- Download ffmpeg direct link OR Get from www.ffmpeg.org/download.html
- Only one file is required from the downloaded zip file : bin/ffmpeg.exe . In bin folder - ffmpeg.exe . Extract it anywhere, say c:
- open cmd.exe > cd c:
- Run above ffmpeg command . Changing inputFilePATH.m4a to outputFilePATH.m4a

Done!
Thanks. That's way too time consuming. Isn't there a good converter without hampering quality?

Top Bottom