Elite: Dangerous

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Elite: Dangerous - Have we found the next Crysis?

Recent Kickstarter success Elite: Dangerous is the most recent installment of the long running "Elite" series which began in the 1980s. The game is developed by Frontier Developments right here in the UK and looks to be quite a hardware hog.

Have a look at the E3 Trailer.

Elite: Dangerous E3 2014 Trailer - YouTube

David Braben, head of Frontier Developments said this;
"We're going through some wonderful effects internally that look truly beautiful, and we're saying, that slows the frame-rate a bit, doesn't it?" Braben said in an interview with Eurogamer. "And we say yes, but we don't mind, because it looks so beautiful. But what we're going to do is attach it to this part of the detail slider. Or we'll call it out as a tick box...Even if your PC of today can't run with all the features on, your PC of tomorrow might."
Now don't think it will be entirely like the original Crysis, where a large section of the PC gaming community were not able to play it until long after launch. He compared the game to RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, a previous Frontier Game, and said that scalability is one of the most important things.

"One of the things that's really helped us was we had that huge scalability, so the game could run on the laptop of 2004. It could also run on the uber desktop of 2004. Which is the laptop of today. I want to make sure we do the same with Elite: Dangerous."

So what we have here is a game which promises to bring current PCs to their knees, but also be able to scale down to run on even todays laptops, a difficult task. One thing I will say is that i will be following this game with interest. Perhaps this game may even become a future OC3D Benchmark, only time will tell.

Elite: Dangerous launches its PC beta on July 29 and will have its full release later this year.

Elite: Dangerous Official Game Site | Epic multiplayer space adventure

Top Bottom