Electricity Meter Readings Problem

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Hi,

One of my house is locked for several months, so no consumption of electricity.

But still I get a reading of 5-6 Units every month :(
I made a complain to the company but the meter electrician told there is no fault in the meter after checking.

So, my concern is If my house is locked and I have switched off the main supply from inside of the house. then how come the meter is reading 5-6 units every month ?
Earlier I used to get 0 Units reading.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Am not an electrical expert but possibly there might be some minute leakage somewhere, so small that the affect is lesser than the least count of the meter. Hence during the test it might have gone undetected.

One thing you can opt for is a disconnection at the meter itself (If you are not going to occupy the house that long) This may involve some co-ordination or application to the electricity board and co-ordination again before you plan to move in.

With meter dead ideally it should not vary.

Check if you also have a master MCB just above the meter in addition to what we have inside our house. Try to shut that off as well and check.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
MCB stands for Mains (or Miniature) Circuit Breaker. It's a sophisticated device plugged into the Live wire that trips when it detects over current in the line safeguarding and preventing any damage due to short circuit. An advanced form of Fuse that does not require rewiring after it trips. See this pic below how it's installed between the meter and the live wire that feeds to the house. If it's there in your case installed between the meter and house, shut if off as well, in addition to main switch in your house.

If you have those traditional wired fuses, may be it's time to get it replaced with these ones anyways inside your house as well as at the meter.

Check if the electricity board is ready to re-calibrate the energy meter as their testing has not revealed anything.

MCB.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom