Drive failed. Need to recover.

Bought a Seagate drive a few months ago. Laptop started showing bsods in quick flashes and one day it stopped booting. So I was figuring out issues with ram and stuff for a while and I think it messed up the drive even more. Now it won't boot and I had an old drive that I plugged in the laptop and it currently works. This Seagate drive has one important folder for around 3gb that I need to recover. Currently
Only 1 partition is clearly visible in explorer that was empty before the crash. I never used it. The other two one with the OS and other with the data only shows the drive letter with "local disk" written. Can't access that. Can't run crystal disk info. Can't run recuva. Testdisk stuck at please wait. Same with photorec. Please help. Should I format the disk and then try recovery or some sort of partition rebuilding?
@topgear

I did try. The disk and the partitions show up. But only the folders. Which are empty. And the properties of the drive say that it has 7632 bad sectors. And since the folders are empty, I can't copy them. Also, I was able to run crystal disk info. It showed the disk in caution. With 3 warnings. One warning was in thousands and it didn't look good. Can formatting the disk and then recovering work?

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Formatting is not recommended. It can make the matters worst. Now no write operations should be performed on the drive.
It may be on the verge of failure.

Just connect it as secondary drive to a computer & try various Recovery software's (Easeus, Minitool, Recuva, Wondershare etc) Some are free some are paid and hope for the best.

If data is very precious try professional recovery solutions.

Top Bottom