Drive does not open....help plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanphoe

Right off the assembly line
I am using Windows XP service pack2 and have startd experiencing this problem since one month.Plz if anybody cud tel me wats wrong?
whenever i click on any hard drive partition other than C then a msg appears..Access is denied.
HOwever when i right click on the drive instead of open I find open(o) written.Clicking on this doesn't solve the problem.However much lower in the list i find open written.Clicking on this amzingly opens the drive.
Also putting the drive name in Run opens the drive.
I was using Quick heal Antivirus when this supposedly happened.When i chkd my antivirus i found it had expired and hence stopped working.since then i have tried Mcafee,AVG and now avast but none have been able to solve the problem.
Has my system corrupted?Can it be repaired?my system has become very slow since then.plz help!

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Make sure u r loged it as Admin user,

Turn on the Advance file share,

Next Right Click on Drive, Go to Properties and then to Shareing TAB there make sure you have the default Sharing turned on !! :) and Permission given to every one (Or to you) to access the drive !! :)

*img222.imageshack.us/img222/2505/01pl7.jpg

napster007

Padawan
dude i experienced a similar problem but i was only on my removable drives. it is becus of virus. u cant detect it. i formated my pc now its fine.

OP
S

sanphoe

Right off the assembly line
@choto cheeta-offcourse man i'm the adminstrator of my comp!!
and abt ur suggestion.....no yaar tht doesn't help me either....first of all the shared tab isn't being shown !!
wen i right click on the drive and goto properties..no share tab!!!!

try this one..go to folder options and check the option "show hidden files and folders"..I guess u will find something like autorun.inf file in ur drive..delete that file and also the file which gets executed...u can get the name of the program that gets executed when u double click by opening the autorun file in notepad..remove both of them and it shud work fine..If normal explorer doesnt allow u to delete those files use Unlocker or partition magic's file browser.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
sanphoe said:
@choto cheeta-offcourse man i'm the adminstrator of my comp!!
and abt ur suggestion.....no yaar tht doesn't help me either....first of all the shared tab isn't being shown !!
wen i right click on the drive and goto properties..no share tab!!!!

can u post a screenshot ??

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
As he said there are 2 "Open" options in context menu, then its definitely a virus infection!
Scan with a good anti-virus and also post HijackThis logfile contents here...
U can also try this:

Open regedit and goto:

Code:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Now under these keys, make sure there is no key with the name "open". If its there, delete it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom