Doubts about Engineering with IT Stream

OP
setanjan123

setanjan123

In the zone
You know most universities do start having disciplinary courses after first year (yours might be an exception). One of the reasons I can think why these courses are taught is -

Maths - Well I would not go into explaining this one. I won't argue even if this comes in the 2nd year too. Physics - You would not have those great physics-based games. I agree not all game programmers need to learn physics but I am sure it would have helped them a lot. Also, this knowledge might have also helped the programmers build complex scientific data analysis and simulation tools.
So, there you go. Stop complaining and learn to appreciate science.
Who is complaining about maths?? I am not. And you talk about physics based games. You do realize that engineering mechanics is more than capable of handling that. And if we talk about advanced techniques used in AAA games, the syllabus is far from sufficient. And most of all, the chances of a guy ending up as a physics programmer after a btech degree in IT is low. And people who seriously want to work with physics won't be doing a degree in IT. A person interested in computational physics would be more sensible in doing a pure physics degree and then maybe doing a specialization in computational physics later on. Same logic applies to chemistry. As far as electrical and electronics goes, I think we may require some of it but not all of it. I am fine with all these subjects being taught but only on one condition. They teach programming properly. You say there is more to cs than programming. I agree. But that is all they teach. And that too very poorly. Heck now in second semester we have C. And only turbo c is allowed. We aren't even allowed to use dev c or any other compiler. If they are so keen on teaching us physics and chemistry then I say the quality of computer science shouldn't be compromised. But that's what they do. The people who make the syllabus are stuck in their own idealistic bubble. They don't realize how poorly equipped we are to combat the problems encountered in the industry. The CS part of the syllabus isn't given enough priority. Even in 3rd year we are taught subjects that are totally irrelevant to IT or CS. That's what I am complaining about. Wasting 4 years and a lot of money. I would be happy if they taught the CS part well. But they don't. First they don't teach us the main things properly and then they overburden us with subjects that we will require rarely. What's the point?? The least they could do now is making the syllabus more flexible. Offering more electives etc. And I do appreciate science. Stop assuming things about people . Sorry for the wall of text

Last edited:
OP
setanjan123

setanjan123

In the zone
Re: Doubts

The agenda which drives these subjects to run in the 4 year curriculum, is not totally unjust. Its the execution which sucks in private colleges. I was in one. Not a good one. The technology and computing universe is expanding, changing in a ludicrous speed outside WBUT, we cant afford to keep up with that by learning how to plot a SGF or by learning how many registers were there in a processor from Jurassic age.

There are some subjects which really have nothing to do with either the intrigue that is promised in CSE or the cash-grab side of it. Control systems wont throw you a dime, any instrumental engineering or measurement subject would never ever help you pay your bills. But there are some subjects which you would not know yet will come handy, but they will, oh yes.

These subjects will be proven the heart stone of your future life as in a IT/Telecom oriented business space, sometimes directly, sometimes as part of your non-pro life.

Mathematics= You should not ignore it, it may not directly affect your payroll later on, but will give you a solid base of confidence.

Digital and Analog Electronics specially Telecommunication theory = You will regret not taking interest in it once you go in a OSS/BSS stack in any provider or its vendor (IBM,Ericsson ,Alcatel, Huwawei,Siemens,MSAT even TCS )

Networking= Something that you would want to go back and learn again once you start loving YouTube videos on how things work or may work in this insanely advancing telecom space.

Computer Organization/OS/Microprocessor = Does it let you know how your super-cool killer gaming rig actually works? NO. What it does then? It lets you UNDERSTAND that s#it when you are TOLD HOW! its the alphabets and most fundamental building blocks of understanding.

AI/Theory of Computer Science/Algorithms = No your not becoming Alan Turing by reading all these, these are tough and abstract s#it, not for everyone, but if you have something you still dont know in you, and if you are supposed to be a great engineer in Computer Fking Science...someday...put these in your plate and chew.

See, all these things that you will learn and will pretend to in the interview table, along with the horse-riding-guitar-playing-post-colonial-poetry-writing-dancing-singing-cricketing bullcrap hobbies , will gather a Truckload of dust in the next 2 years of absolute isolation from healthy living and non-compliance with study in college. So apart from programming and database...just try to read up those subjects at least to some level which...you know..lets you stay away from repentance...that "If I had just put some hours in this..that time...i would not need these basic goggling or you tube" is bad in mid-life.

Because someday, while you will be walking in the office gate with a backpack with hundreds of dudes looking same like you are, you might stumble to a question "what the fk is going on and why am i doing this" Then...you will start to look-back, and it will be not too late...but a little for sure.
Hmm good advice.

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
You say there is more to cs than programming. I agree. But that is all they teach. And that too very poorly. Heck now in second semester we have C. And only turbo c is allowed. We aren't even allowed to use dev c or any other compiler. If they are so keen on teaching us physics and chemistry then I say the quality of computer science shouldn't be compromised. But that's what they do. The people who make the syllabus are stuck in their own idealistic bubble. They don't realize how poorly equipped we are to combat the problems encountered in the industry. The CS part of the syllabus isn't given enough priority. Even in 3rd year we are taught subjects that are totally irrelevant to IT or CS. That's what I am complaining about. Wasting 4 years and a lot of money. I would be happy if they taught the CS part well. But they don't. First they don't teach us the main things properly and then they overburden us with subjects that we will require rarely. What's the point?? The least they could do now is making the syllabus more flexible. Offering more electives etc. And I do appreciate science. Stop assuming things about people . Sorry for the wall of text

The above point mostly emphasizes on the fact that your college seems like $hit (no offense :D). My college had some pretty interesting courses. In 1st year 2nd sem, computer programming was taught with current standards in mind (gcc, linux, etc. we even had initial labs based on shell scripting). In 2nd year. In first sem we had Discrete Structures for CS, Logic in CS, OOP (which again, does not mean only Java) and in 2nd sem we have Database Systems, Data Structures and Algorithms (taught form Cormen) and Microprocessors.

In the end it all boils down to what your college teaches. I was making more of a point towards learning other things on your own (and not just concentrating on learning only the programming language).
You'll find lots of online courses from MIT, Stanford, etc. Pick any one and complete it.

My apologies for this post coming late.

Last edited:
OP
setanjan123

setanjan123

In the zone
The above point mostly emphasizes on the fact that your college seems like $hit (no offense :D). My college had some pretty interesting courses. In 1st year 2nd sem, computer programming was taught with current standards in mind (gcc, linux, etc. we even had initial labs based on shell scripting). In 2nd year. In first sem we had Discrete Structures for CS, Logic in CS, OOP (which again, does not mean only Java) and in 2nd sem we have Database Systems, Data Structures and Algorithms (taught form Cormen) and Microprocessors.

In the end it all boils down to what your college teaches. I was making more of a point towards learning other things on your own (and not just concentrating on learning only the programming language).
You'll find lots of online courses from MIT, Stanford, etc. Pick any one and complete it.

My apologies for this post coming late.
Well your college surely doesn't come under WBUT (MAKAUT now ). The college isn't at fault. The University is. Damn I am jealous of you. Such good standards. Our college machines run Windows xp and turbo c. Even there is dev cpp they don't let us use it. And yeah algorithms and the basic concepts are important I agree. But they surely can't be taught be making us do the same old **** again and again (stupid programs and patterns ). Btw from which University did you do your bachelors??

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
Damn I am jealous of you. Such good standards.
I am grateful for that. :)
Our college machines run Windows xp and turbo c. Even there is dev cpp they don't let us use it.
Don't crib about it. Install Dev CPP on your system (or linux for that matter) and program using the current standards. The old standards don't differ much form current in terms of syntax. You'll get lots of help from websites like StackOverflow.

And yeah algorithms and the basic concepts are important I agree. But they surely can't be taught be making us do the same old **** again and again (stupid programs and patterns ).
I would strongly suggest getting Introduction to Algorithms (50% discount at Flipkart) and do some self-learning. You could get lecture slides of various universities searching Google. Here's MIT's plan for the course (slides are also available for this course but I can't seem to find them).
Btw from which University did you do your bachelors??
I would rather not answer that due to privacy reasons :). But I'm still doing my bachelors (2nd year).

OP
setanjan123

setanjan123

In the zone
I am grateful for that. :)

Don't crib about it. Install Dev CPP on your system (or linux for that matter) and program using the current standards. The old standards don't differ much form current in terms of syntax. You'll get lots of help from websites like StackOverflow.

I would strongly suggest getting Introduction to Algorithms (50% discount at Flipkart) and do some self-learning. You could get lecture slides of various universities searching Google. Here's MIT's plan for the course (slides are also available for this course but I can't seem to find them).

I would rather not answer that due to privacy reasons :). But I'm still doing my bachelors (2nd year).
I use dev cpp and code blocks at home. That's no issue. Stopped using tc++ quite a while ago .

Top Bottom