Doubt Regarding SSD Lifetime writes on a new SSD

leelaprasad

Broken In
2 weeks back i purchased OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD after. After 4 to 5 days i installed HD Sentinel, Lifetime writes were about 2.1 TB and there is noway i would have written that much data in 5 days.

From past 10 days my average daily writes as reported by HD Sentinel are 10-11 GB.

Even if i assume the OS & software installations on the first day it should be at the max 100 to 200 GB, 2 TB which is reported by HD Sentinel, is this because the testing done in factory before it was packed.

tkin

Back to school!!
2 weeks back i purchased OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD after. After 4 to 5 days i installed HD Sentinel, Lifetime writes were about 2.1 TB and there is noway i would have written that much data in 5 days.

From past 10 days my average daily writes as reported by HD Sentinel are 10-11 GB.

Even if i assume the OS & software installations on the first day it should be at the max 100 to 200 GB, 2 TB which is reported by HD Sentinel, is this because the testing done in factory before it was packed.
From where did you buy it? Was it sealed?

OP
L

leelaprasad

Broken In
From where did you buy it? Was it sealed?
Bought from primeabgb through ebay. It was a sealed pack.

check with crystaldiskinfo if it is also showing the same.
CrystalDiskInfo is also showing now around 2.3 TB thats the same reported by HD Sentinel.

Can anyone using SSD confirm what where there Lifetime writes on brand new. Or else Lifetime writes with the duration of usage

OK Some more information.

Installed SSD in system on Feb 14th 00:30 AM, Installed OS & Photoshop CS6 and some basic softwares.
On Feb 16th 10:00 PM installed HD Sentinel and it reported as Lifetime Writes as 2.1 TB
From Feb 16th to today(Feb 27th) total writes are around 220 GB averaging around 22GB/Day

I am still confused about the 2 TB writes on a new SSD :-(

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
SSD is completely different from HDD when it comes to data writing.SSD consists of cells & each cell hold bits of data.in case of normal hdd if you want to change 1 bit then only that bit is changed on hdd but in case of ssd if you want to change 1 bit then entire cell has to be re-written instead of simply changing 1 bit in that cell.what it basically means is that if you write 10mb on a normal hdd then on ssd this same operation will result in ~25mb of data written(this is known as write amplification).data is continuously changing on operating system drive(page file write,antivirus write,browser,windows processes write etc) which should be ~15gb daily for a ssd running ~14-15 hours.this is just assuming normal operating system drive but if you are also playing games(which also save continuously) & moving data to/from ssd then your daily write usage will be even higher.

OP
L

leelaprasad

Broken In
Mine also showing 2.58 TB. But i am not worried.

Can i know from when you are using SSD?

SSD is completely different from HDD when it comes to data writing.SSD consists of cells & each cell hold bits of data.in case of normal hdd if you want to change 1 bit then only that bit is changed on hdd but in case of ssd if you want to change 1 bit then entire cell has to be re-written instead of simply changing 1 bit in that cell.what it basically means is that if you write 10mb on a normal hdd then on ssd this same operation will result in ~25mb of data written(this is known as write amplification).data is continuously changing on operating system drive(page file write,antivirus write,browser,windows processes write etc) which should be ~15gb daily for a ssd running ~14-15 hours.this is just assuming normal operating system drive but if you are also playing games(which also save continuously) & moving data to/from ssd then your daily write usage will be even higher.

I had read about write amplification. And by seeing my daily usage from last 11 days its averaging at ~20GB/Day.

But the confusion is about 2TB for first two days which is nearly 100 times of my daily usage

tkin

Back to school!!
Can i know from when you are using SSD?

I had read about write amplification. And by seeing my daily usage from last 11 days its averaging at ~20GB/Day.

But the confusion is about 2TB for first two days which is nearly 100 times of my daily usage
New OS install, updates, ngen compiler running after .net update, volume shadow copy running, its really not impossible.

Top Bottom