Does Xperia camera software use oversampling or data binning like PureView?

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I have a Sony Xperia ZR with a 13 MP capable camera.

If I set the capture resolution to 9 MP will the camera use oversampling or data binning technology to produce a better 9 MP image than if I just crop the 13 MP down to 9 MP?

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
No that tech is only used in the Pureview phones mainly 1020,1520 and 808
If you take a pic at 9mp it will be same as cropping a 13 mp pic to 9mp dimensiona

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Aperture size could be related to quality of image but I do not see how can it be termed sensor and it cannot be in anyway described as powerful.

If you are referring to the dedicated gpu used in 808 exclusively for processing then we could use the term to describe the power of that gpu.

However I request you to please re-read my original post and see that I am not talking of the hardware but the software algorithm used.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Aperture size could be related to quality of image but I do not see how can it be termed sensor and it cannot be in anyway described as powerful.

If you are referring to the dedicated gpu used in 808 exclusively for processing then we could use the term to describe the power of that gpu.

However I request you to please re-read my original post and see that I am not talking of the hardware but the software algorithm used.
ohh my apologies i misunderstood
did u get what u were looking for anyways? :)

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Acc. To my knowledge !
There are two sensors!Digital & Optical!
Bigger the optical sensor more better picture!
Lumia's have largest image sensors!
I guess pure view 808 is the best up till now!

Sony optimizes digital sensor with small optical sensor so you get a decent image!

Basically all these companies increasing MP count is a pure marketing gimmick!
E.g.Samsung S4 13 MP camera is just highly optimized 8MP!
This basic thing is primarily understood by 3 companies only!

Apple-Compare image quality of i5 & s4!Anytime iphone is better!
Nokia-Has great patents in optical image sensors so you get pure view 808!Best Camera phone!
HTC-Working with its new project of 5MP on HTC One by devising new algorithms in image processing!

& Sony-It combines an average optical sensor with one of the worlds best digital sensor !
So you get your crisp images!The perfect blend in its Bravia engine display gives your photo a new look!

Coming at basics!Each of these companies devise their own ALGORITHMS in image processing to deliver final output!

geeksmedia

Broken In
No that tech is only used in the Pureview phones mainly 1020,1520 and 808 if you think 9mp will turns 13mp its not quite possible and it will done if you want to crop it can be done with the help of technology

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
From what I learned recently its possible on Sony Exmor sensors but digitally not optically
Pureview= Optical
Optical>>>>digital
So even if phones such as One Plus One have 50mp hacks , they wont be enough to even beat the 10mp Pureview sensor found on 830
I actually had a chance to compare the two

Top Bottom