Does lots of ram mean more frame rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzrulz

Broken In
I used to own an ATi radeon 9200 se with 128 mb of ddr memory runnung at 200 mhz clock and 166 mhz memory speed( Now i own an X800 PE). My sis config is: P4 2.4, MSI NEO(875pbz),128 mb of ddr 266 ram. I know that my ram is very low and to cap it all i use windows XP. When i played games like doom3 and STALKER my framerates were very low. Does this have to do anything with my ram? How will an increase in ram result in better frame rates?

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Ur frame rates are low cos the game occupies a lot of memory which ur syste doesnt have. When an application runs it runs in the RAM and it also uses Virtual Memory. As an app gets accessed it is first sought for in the RAM and then the hdd. So a bigger RAM means u can run more apps and also load more components of each application into memory. When ur playing ur game try Alt+TAb to get out of the app and then open up ur task manager to see how much RAM is being used. In ur case all the RAM space will not be enuff and so VM is also gonna be used pretty highly. So instead of straight RAM access it access the HDD as well and hence the frame rates are low. Dude, u have a high end card without even 512MB or RAM ????!! Thats just plain crazy man!

vysakh

Padawan
with little RAM u r limiting the performance of ur PC, which has a good configuration for all the latest games(just like win98 does)
the more RAM more better it is
try 512MB or 1GB more if u wanna play the latest games like doom3 in high fps

godzi_85

In the zone
ya dude more ram the better..
i got the geforce 4 mx 440se. but i get better frame rates at a pretty high setting in many games only because i have good memory...
my friend who had a Ti 4.... had only 128 MB ram.. and used to get less fps.. than me....
all other hardware config ws ditto...

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
LOL Jazz, you have a X800 XT PE, which costs the earth .......and you got 128Mb of Ram. LOL i dont know wot to say ..........For games like Far cry and Doom3 get atleast 1Gb of DDR400 frm transcend/kingston.

nikhilesh

Journeyman
lol!!!!!

1GB ram makes a HUGE difference in games like farcry and doom3,and especially hl2 is comin out.

but what the heck,an 875pbz based mobo,a 2.4c,X800XT PE and 128mb of ram!!!!!! jesus!!!!!

buy ram!lots of it!

Rajesh_K

Broken In
YOu need 512MB min of PC3200 DDR400 Ram. 128mb @ 266 is laughable. I would have dropped less cache on the Card and gone for a 9800XT, and pciked up some way better ram instead. And if your mother board can handle it get CAS 2 or 2.5 RAM. That will show you some serious Gaming improvments.

OP
J

Jazzrulz

Broken In
well i had asked for 512 mb of ddr 400 ram. My vendor duped me. When i tried dialing him up, the number did not exist... typical indian stiry

funkymonkey

Journeyman
go to his shop and make tamasha.
128MB is pathetic, you are not even running in dual channel mode. Thats insane for P4 system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom