Do we really need triple/quad high megapixel cameras to capture good pictures?

srdigit16

In the zone
What is the minimum camera specifications required to capture good pictures?
Does it make sense to have 48MP, 64MP 108MP main cameras with 3 or 4 extra cameras specially in budget phones?
what is that smartphone manufacturers are trying to achieve by adding multiple or high MP cameras even in budget smartphones?

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
They are trying to achieve, "targets".
"More" means "good" for most of the people.

Isn't it obvious? It works. So they do.

For good pics, 1 good camera is enough. Like my S8 still takes great pics comparable to OP7T/7T pro (just a brief hands-on, S8 seemed to have an edge overall IMO because of lower noise in artificial light, but wasn't too extensive).

Considering there are multiple cams in phones, I'd say other than a primary cam, an ultrawide camera is good to have followed by a telephoto. I don't think depth sensors are that useful if you have 2+ cameras. Macro can be implemented into ultrawide as some manufacturers did. B/W sensor is even more useless.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
For good pics, 1 good camera is enough. Like my S8 still takes great pics comparable to OP7T/7T pro (just a brief hands-on, S8 seemed to have an edge overall IMO because of lower noise in artificial light, but wasn't too extensive).

Considering there are multiple cams in phones, I'd say other than a primary cam, an ultrawide camera is good to have followed by a telephoto. I don't think depth sensors are that useful if you have 2+ cameras. Macro can be implemented into ultrawide as some manufacturers did. B/W sensor is even more useless.
A company like op can put 5 cameras but even those will loose in comparison to 1 camera of Samsung.

A company like op can put 5 cameras but even those will loose in comparison to 1 camera of Samsung.
But for its price, OP still has a good overall package. Older Samsung flagships have a big disadvantage in terms of software updates. Like for S9+, android 10 is the last update whereas for OP7T, it would be android 12 or maybe 13.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
What is the minimum camera specifications required to capture good pictures? what is that smartphone manufacturers are trying to achieve by adding multiple or high MP cameras even in budget smartphones?

Mega Pixel is considered when you want to take Huge Printout with Ultra Resolutions like the Big Movie theater posters.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
But for its price, OP still has a good overall package. Older Samsung flagships have a big disadvantage in terms of software updates. Like for S9+, android 10 is the last update whereas for OP7T, it would be android 12 or maybe 13.
Brother people emphasize on OS updates, yea having the latest os is cool but are there any noticeable differences between 9 & 10? I guess not. Now coming to OP, go to their forums>> open 5t general support section and check the tons of weird bugs that users are facing. If you consume your data and the cycle refreshes at 12am then without reboot you won't be able to use it, even if you receive an incoming call your call minutes will keep on decreasing, the call duration meter stays on even if you disconnect a call etc. These are some and there are tons of them. Is OP doing anything? No because for them the 5t is a very old phone and they will only release one last os update. But will they address these issues? I bet not. Similar issues are with the 6/6t users. Soon the 7/t/pro users will join them.
Coming to price to performance ratio, their phones are nothing as compared to Mi, Realme etc. phones. Sure the stock Android is better but I'd prefer the other os's minus the bugs.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
MegaPixel does not really matter like if you go just by that then LeEco Le Max 2 or something had the biggest MP count in its range, top of the line specs on everything in the box, and was still a trash phone.
Now most smartphones use sensors by either Samsung or Sony. Apart from the top of the line sensors, the specifications are similar and are even interchangeable, so some entry level phones may have some sensors from Sony, and others by Samsung. As a consumer, whether you are buying the top end or low end phone, this strictly should not matter.
Now how can these manufacturers offer increasing MP size in smaller sensors? It is because each individual imaging element (pixel) on the sensor is getting smaller. This does not translate to better picture quality. Think of the shower of photons that leads to getting an image as a rainfall. You can have a large array of big buckets (dSLRs), a small array of big buckets (bridge/prosumer), or a small array of small cups (smartphones). The imaging quality is dependent on the total amount of light or water captured. So although the smartphones have more cups (higher MP), the bigger dSLRs capture more light (or rain) with a reduced MP count. HTC UltraPixel sensors have individual imaging elements that are more than twice the size of competition from Samsung and Sony, and are able to capture more light, and deliver a better image quality. However, they lose out in other departments such as low light imaging and video, even though technically they should not, because of AI processing in Huawei, Pixel Samsung and Apple phones, and are not considered among the best cameraphones around. Nokia and Panasonic have packed in some ridiculously large sensors in older devices, that were well ahead of their time.
Now, the next important thing to understand here is the arrangement of the individual pixels on the sensors. Older phones used something called as a quad bayer filter, which was an array with one red pixel, one blue pixel, and two green pixels. This is an incredibly fascinating topic to get into (human perception and colour vision), but essentially we can see green text on black better than blue or red, and like most of the content that we consume is best represented with such an arrangement (read the skin tones of people). While this is a good arrangement for human use, it is not accurate in terms of the actual colour information, and as such the arrangement is not used in scientific instruments or spacecraft (think Cassini or Hubble). In any case, smaller sensors meant that smartphone companies had to cheat and came up with what is known as a quad bayer array, where the pixels are arranged in a matrix of four imaging elements replacing what was previously a single pixel. This means that the block of four pixels can behave like a single pixel when required, allowing for better low light performance, and higher dynamic range. Both Samsung and Sony use the same arrangement. Samsung brands it as "tetracell" when selling their sensors to smartphone companies, and smartphone companies may use any word they please to talk of the same thing. Does it improve performance? Well, yes, in some cases, but only because they need to do that because of their teeny tiny sensors and their larger batteries and multiple lenses and selfie shooters and notched displays.
*i.imgur.com/LzfUnxV.jpg
So what are the main points here?
1. The amount of light falling on the sensor decides the image quality, not the MP count. This depends on the size of the sensor, the size of the individual imaging elements, and the arrangement of the imaging elements on the sensor.
2. Notched displays, reducing real estate, multiple lenses are all exerting pressure on smaller sensors with increased MP count. While quality of images are improving in smartphones, the progress is not as good as it would be if these pressures did not exist. Occasionally, a smartphone brand may come up with an innovative design that bucks the trend, but these are soon forgotten.
3. The best cameras are in the top end Samsung, Huawei, Apple and Google devices.

Engineer.AI

Broken In

Normally, I would say otherwise (adding that the next model, is generally selling you an upgraded camera, and nothing else). But the reality is that within the "PIXEL WARS" of yesteryear, we collectively lost our minds racking our brains over pixel/camera value.
The mobile phones coming out this generation have plateaued w.r.t. pixel value. The race is on for fidelity and raw power! iPhone wants to claim a big stake in this contest, but sadly their cameras have a very poor reputation of being viable ahead of the year they were released (on purpose?). Samsung, although not a front runner most days - is clearly the winner in this. Their latest S-series phones have been groundbreaking camerawise.

Normally, I would say otherwise (adding that the next model, is generally selling you an upgraded camera, and nothing else). But the reality is that within the "PIXEL WARS" of yesteryear, we collectively lost our minds racking our brains over pixel/camera value.
The mobile phones coming out this generation have plateaued w.r.t. pixel value. The race is on for fidelity and raw power! iPhone wants to claim a big stake in this contest, but sadly their cameras have a very poor reputation of being viable ahead of the year they were released (on purpose?). Samsung, although not a front runner most days - is clearly the winner in this. Their latest S-series phones have been groundbreaking camerawise.
I think most reviewers last year put the best phone cameras as Pixel 4 > iPhone 11 Pro > Note 10 series. Not sure where Huawei P/Mate phones will stand but those have a big disadvantage in terms of lack of Google Play Store.

It true that Samsung S20 this year will likely beat iPhone 11 Pro cam, new flagships in 6 months changes scenarios a bit. There's a lot of sales during Nov/Dec, so iPhone's timing is good. Sadly Note lineup has same cameras like that year's S line so it gets defeated.

Engineer.AI

Broken In
I think most reviewers last year put the best phone cameras as Pixel 4 > iPhone 11 Pro > Note 10 series. Not sure where Huawei P/Mate phones will stand but those have a big disadvantage in terms of lack of Google Play Store.

It true that Samsung S20 this year will likely beat iPhone 11 Pro cam, new flagships in 6 months changes scenarios a bit. There's a lot of sales during Nov/Dec, so iPhone's timing is good. Sadly Note lineup has same cameras like that year's S line so it gets defeated.

I mean, iPhones GENERALLY have a good camera, but lately they've stalled on that front since the 9 series (I dont have a problem with that). But they fail to realize that folks dont want to buy their products based on gimmicks anymore, and that a vast majority of them DO value 'Pixels' quite a lot.
It will be interesting to see this year - when Samsung and iPhone go head to head. Both phones are good tho.
There is however, not many things that leverage somebody to buy one or the other, except for loyalty, customizability, and price.
~Engineer.Ai

I mean, iPhones GENERALLY have a good camera, but lately they've stalled on that front since the 9 series (I dont have a problem with that). But they fail to realize that folks dont want to buy their products based on gimmicks anymore, and that a vast majority of them DO value 'Pixels' quite a lot.
It will be interesting to see this year - when Samsung and iPhone go head to head. Both phones are good tho.
There is however, not many things that leverage somebody to buy one or the other, except for loyalty, customizability, and price.
~Engineer.Ai
Last year's Pixel 4s were the least practical flagship from a big company, bad battery life, not true 90Hz.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Pixel is best for low light and images. iPhone camera is best for videos, and video stabilisation. Sony is actually really good at slow motion video, fast focusing (sport photography, moving kids or pets, vehicles and trains, that kind of a thing). Samsung is just versatile, does everything at a high level of quality, like nice little sweet spot, without being the best at any one thing.
Huawei P series captures incredibly detailed black and white portrait photos, because of the Leica designs used in the cameras. Their dual cams have a very unconventional design. They also have good low light photography, and the default camera app has a lot of in built functionality, like star trail, asteroid shower, traffic trails and firework modes for long exposure low light photography.

Engineer.AI

Broken In
Pixel is best for low light and images. iPhone camera is best for videos, and video stabilisation. Sony is actually really good at slow motion video, fast focusing (sport photography, moving kids or pets, vehicles and trains, that kind of a thing). Samsung is just versatile, does everything at a high level of quality, like nice little sweet spot, without being the best at any one thing.
Huawei P series captures incredibly detailed black and white portrait photos, because of the Leica designs used in the cameras. Their dual cams have a very unconventional design. They also have good low light photography, and the default camera app has a lot of in built functionality, like star trail, asteroid shower, traffic trails and firework modes for long exposure low light photography.

Huawei P series has never caught my attention in that way ever. Maybe i'll have to look it up a bit then as it sounds really appealing.
~Engineer.ai

Top Bottom