DIY Cheap office use system under 15-20K budget.

lutenic

Broken In
This is my second build request in the forum.
I need to make cheap strictly office use system requirement for my dad's office.
Primary work profile would be to track order, stock and delivery details on Excels and Billing softwares.

I was checking about the Pi based system. Is the Pi 400 available in India and under good price? Any other similar all in one system will do.
Also system based on Intel or AMD cheap parts would do for the use case.

Update: It has been recommended to look for proper PC instead of Pi based systems. I am no longer upto date with latest CPU and other parts offering in current market. Kindly suggest a cheap entry level system.

PC Build Questionnaire Template

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)

Ans: Office work. Excels and billing software. Rare multimedia use so based multimedia capability is sufficient.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Ans: 15K max. Can manage till 20K if it actually make significant impact.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Linux (Pi) /Windows (Intel/AMD)

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
Ans: I have a 250gb HDD somewhere at home for use with Intel/AMD. For Pi memory card is enough.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: Yes, smaller 720p is good. Not sure if 1080p are available in my budget (12-13" is ok)

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Have Keyboard and Mouse. One 250GB HDD was at home but have to search it. Other than that need to buy everything else.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: As early as possible, but can wait till end of Feb or 1st week of march.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes, have experience in assembling system but last done over 5 years back.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Noida-Greater Noida. Online is desirable.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: 8GB ram is favorable, 4gb ram feels too slow with excels these days. I would be sourcing parts online unless part is not available.

Last edited:

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Pi is not to be used for this. you should rather build a proper PC. First off, Wine has issues on Pi, So you will not be able to run MS-Excel. Secondly, RPi is to be used as an IoT or for other small purposes. The Pi 400 keyboard is not at all good for typing for long hours. It is only for use as IoT Base station. Pi 400 will not be able to hand such high load. If you are thinking to use relay boards with your Pi for controlling lights and all, then you can use it.

You should instead build a PC or buy a cheap laptop. Even Core i3 based ones are available for cheap, which will do the work. Remember to use SSD though.

OP
lutenic

lutenic

Broken In
Pi is not to be used for this. you should rather build a proper PC. First off, Wine has issues on Pi, So you will not be able to run MS-Excel. Secondly, RPi is to be used as an IoT or for other small purposes. The Pi 400 keyboard is not at all good for typing for long hours. It is only for use as IoT Base station. Pi 400 will not be able to hand such high load. If you are thinking to use relay boards with your Pi for controlling lights and all, then you can use it.

You should instead build a PC or buy a cheap laptop. Even Core i3 based ones are available for cheap, which will do the work. Remember to use SSD though.
thanks for Input.
Ok so I will check for i3 or AMD based system.

Could you please suggest what is latest in Intel and AMD entry level systems. I have one 3yr old 6th or 7th gen i3 based laptop which became very slow after all the patching being done for the problem found in Intel.
Will current gen i3 hold well after all those patches?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Prices for Components are going to rise, So under 20K, You can either buy second hand one, or upgrade current PC.

As for your laptop with i3, Try using SSD instead of HDD. This small change gives a major boost to PCs. You can increase the ram if it is upgradeable. Now for Excel/office work, i3 is enough. It will do all the tasks smoothly. You just need to upgrade + Debloat windows

OP
lutenic

lutenic

Broken In
Prices for Components are going to rise, So under 20K, You can either buy second hand one, or upgrade current PC.

As for your laptop with i3, Try using SSD instead of HDD. This small change gives a major boost to PCs. You can increase the ram if it is upgradeable. Now for Excel/office work, i3 is enough. It will do all the tasks smoothly. You just need to upgrade + Debloat windows
Can you suggest individual parts prices.
I will check for Case from friends circle. Would need a CPU, RAM module, Motherboard, PSU and a Display currently.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
CPU:- Ryzen 3 3200G @ 9450 (inflated right now)
MoBo:- Asus Prime A320M-K @4000
RAM:- Adata 4GB @1750 x2
SSD:- Adata Ultimate SU630 240GB @ 2500
PSU: Corsair CV450 @ 3300
Display:- LG 22 inch 22M38H @5995

Total:- 26885
Prices taken from MD computers

This is the bare minimum, you may consider buying a second hand monitor.

Also Wait for @whitestar_999 @omega44-xt @SaiyanGoku @bssunilreddy to answer about it.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
*www.primeabgb.com/online-price-rev...-5-ghz-dual-core-am4-processor-yd3000c6fhbox/

*www.primeabgb.com/online-price-reviews-india/amd-ryzen-3-2200g-processor-radeon-vega-8-graphics/

*www.onlyssd.com/buy/kingston-a400-2-5-inch-240gb-sata-iii-tlc-ssd-sa400s37-240g/

OP
lutenic

lutenic

Broken In
*www.primeabgb.com/online-price-rev...-5-ghz-dual-core-am4-processor-yd3000c6fhbox/

*www.primeabgb.com/online-price-reviews-india/amd-ryzen-3-2200g-processor-radeon-vega-8-graphics/

*www.onlyssd.com/buy/kingston-a400-2-5-inch-240gb-sata-iii-tlc-ssd-sa400s37-240g/
Thanks!

2200G looks to be perfect for my use. It has Vega 8 and just lower clocked than 3200G.
Primeabgb ships to Delhi NCR? How much they charge for shipping over base price, any idea?

For mother board any cheaper option?

Thanks!

2200G looks to be perfect for my use. It has Vega 8 and just lower clocked than 3200G.
Primeabgb ships to Delhi NCR? How much they charge for shipping over base price, any idea?

For mother board any cheaper option?
A320, that the cheapest option for mobo. I'll suggest 1x8GB RAM because you can upgrade it to 2x8GB if you want in future. IMO 2c/4t CPUs like that Athlon or Intel Pentium are fine for very light loads but 4c/4t will definitely be better. Do get at least 120GB SSD (for OS) & pair it with your old HDD.

You can get cheap 1080p 21" TN monitors for ~6k. Maybe look for used parts to reduce the cost in general. You should be able to find used components in Delhi & NCR region.

OP
lutenic

lutenic

Broken In
A320, that the cheapest option for mobo. I'll suggest 1x8GB RAM because you can upgrade it to 2x8GB if you want in future. IMO 2c/4t CPUs like that Athlon or Intel Pentium are fine for very light loads but 4c/4t will definitely be better. Do get at least 120GB SSD (for OS) & pair it with your old HDD.

You can get cheap 1080p 21" TN monitors for ~6k. Maybe look for used parts to reduce the cost in general. You should be able to find used components in Delhi & NCR region.
Thanks Buddy,

I found MSI A320M PRO-VD/S V2 Motherboard on primeabgb to be good. It needs BIOS updated for Ryzen 3 series or would Ryzen 3 2200G would work fine in it?

21" Monitor is overkill for our use, will try smaller one in 13-17" category.

I have noted 120GB SSD for the system with my old 250GB HDD and Old CPU case will be used.

RAM will decided in few days, as 8 GB should be enough for now. My work laptop has 2 8GB modules and the laptop works great! So 1*8Gb module options also seems good for future expansion. The work laptop is Ryzen 5 Pro model and working amazingly well.

Top Bottom