Disgusting Part of Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
I'm a linux User and love using linux on my Comp and have been suggesting people to use linux as its free. But This is one of the biggest flaws in linux,

Even after having all sort of Linux softwares on my hdd(which i have collected from different sites and from my PC world, Digit and Linux for you magazines)... why on earth i have to download the same things again and again just to install from repository so that they work(coz 99.9% linux softwares will not work if u install directly without using repo). dont u think this is dumb:mad:.

and that too if i reinstall my linux OS then again i have to download and install all the softwares from repository.... this is disgusting :mad:.... that is one of major reason why people are hating linux:mad:

Does any one have a solution to this... it would be grateful to share with others ... this will solve the major problem of many different level of Linux User's.

Becoz of this dumb problem i'm thinking of not using linux anymore. Everytime I need to bang my hand a lot of times even for installing a small software in linux:x and then visiting irc channels to ask help from others.

good gracious and never to forget dependency problems

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Linux without internet is nothing. The offline installation package management sux in Linux. Don't expect your downloaded package to work as it is, chances are you are out of dependencies :D

However, once you install everything from some package manager like synaptic in Ubuntu, you can backup the cache folder to which synaptic download all the packages & its dependencies. It is somewhere in var\archive\cache folder I think. Prakash can make it clear.

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
gx_saurav said:
Linux without internet is nothing. The offline installation package management sux in Linux. Don't expect your downloaded package to work as it is, chances are you are out of dependencies :D

However, once you install everything from some package manager like synaptic in Ubuntu, you can backup the cache folder to which synaptic download all the packages & its dependencies. It is somewhere in var\archive\cache folder I think. Prakash can make it clear.
this dependencies is always the biggest problem in linux:mad:. In order to install software A download software B for dependency and for making software B to work download software C for dependency problem... What is this.:mad:

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Windows has everything in the starting itself. So it consumes 1 GB of your HDD. Linux is not like this. It only installs what is required for the apps selected.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
is there anything that Developers can do?? :-(

Really it is annoying to install another s/w to use first one. Even I'm still unable to configure my Dial-up connection on Linux. So I've to download such repositories from Windows.... :-(

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
shirish_nagar said:
is there anything that Developers can do?? :-(

Really it is annoying to install another s/w to use first one. Even I'm still unable to configure my Dial-up connection on Linux. So I've to download such repositories from Windows.... :-(
Why don't you post this problem in a new thread?

praka123

left this forum longback
the Best part of Linux

why to say that Linux survives only when u have internet.U can have DVD versions of (unofficial)Ubuntu that contains most of the softwares and proprietory plugins too.U can backup /var/cache/apt/archives folder if u want.but one thing u forgot was that in windows the win updates too are there.then u ppl will install autopatcher or someother workaround to have it,right?Why hate Linux for updates.GNU/Linux is Free Open Source and its developmental cycles are way better than its closed source counter part.so there may be frequent updates.with synaptic u can save ur earlier list of softwares by going to File Menu >Save Markings.as with packages been reinstalled,only in windows we do "monthly","weekly" format and re-install session.In Linux almost no reinstall!.and ur question of getting packages from digit magazine and installing etc etc,answer is the Linux distros.they exist here because they assure u to that they provide u the most common and new softwares and its updates too.else u can use digit walla software with ur own distro or Linux from Scratch(distro name).
U can survive without internet too in Linux.Distros like Fedora and Open Suse by default comes in 4 or more cd's or DVD's.what Ubuntu does is it packed the most usable apps only in a single CD.for eg:eek:pen office,browser,text editor,internet is used in a freshly installed GNU/Linux is mostly only for getting proprietory plugins and apps.U cannot blame GNU for this because M$ and patent forces are watching these things to sue GNU.now with distros like Linux Mint,Linspire etc and paid version of suse u can get these installed by default too.I am saying about the condition where u cant play .mp3,.wma files.
I think a good read will be the FAQ section at:
*www.getgnulinux.org/linux/linux_faq/

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
Re: the Best part of Linux

praka123 said:
why to say that Linux survives only when u have internet.U can have DVD versions of (unofficial)Ubuntu that contains most of the softwares and proprietory plugins too.U can backup /var/cache/apt/archives folder if u want.but one thing u forgot was that in windows the win updates too are there.then u ppl will install autopatcher or someother workaround to have it,right?Why hate Linux for updates.GNU/Linux is Free Open Source and its developmental cycles are way better than its closed source counter part.so there may be frequent updates.with synaptic u can save ur earlier list of softwares by going to File Menu >Save Markings.as with packages been reinstalled,only in windows we do "monthly","weekly" format and re-install session.In Linux almost no reinstall!.and ur question of getting packages from digit magazine and installing etc etc,answer is the Linux distros.they exist here because they assure u to that they provide u the most common and new softwares and its updates too.else u can use digit walla software with ur own distro or Linux from Scratch(distro name).
U can survive without internet too in Linux.Distros like Fedora and Open Suse by default comes in 4 or more cd's or DVD's.what Ubuntu does is it packed the most usable apps only in a single CD.for eg:eek:pen office,browser,text editor,internet is used in a freshly installed GNU/Linux is mostly only for getting proprietory plugins and apps.U cannot blame GNU for this because M$ and patent forces are watching these things to sue GNU.now with distros like Linux Mint,Linspire etc and paid version of suse u can get these installed by default too.I am saying about the condition where u cant play .mp3,.wma files.
I think a good read will be the FAQ section at:
*www.getgnulinux.org/linux/linux_faq/
u always give that link.... dont you ?? :D

the problem is installing softwares and drivers in linux, its too painful and have to spend too much of time :(

U can backup /var/cache/apt/archives folder if u want
can u elaborate please how to backup the updates. it will help me a lot lot :p so i dont have to update or install my distro's hdlist.cz list everytime from repositories when i reinstall my operating system.

praka123

left this forum longback
that link's FAQ section does explains the things good dude!
now even if u backup,few more packages may need upgradation.otherwise u can make a local mirror of the packages.whenever u feel the "internal call" for reinstall,just back up ur exiting /etc/apt/sources.list,/var/cache/apt/archives and ur /home/user dir for future use:D.
AptOnCD-
Create backup of installed packages using APTonCD

How To Create A Local Debian/Ubuntu Mirror With apt-mirror

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
vish786 said:

I mean, I have to search for those repositories thru my WINDOWS BOX 'n download to WINDOWS machine & then transfer to LINUX machine...

understood ????

ChaiTan3

GTK+ programmer
even i had to manually download all the deb packages from windows and then transfer them to my linux machiine
that was quite a pain
while installing beryl, the files beryl and beryl-manager were dependent on each other(dependency)

praka123

left this forum longback
why the pain?when u can configure internet on Debian/Ubuntu easily(except for internal modems or winmodems).post in this section ur problem.

ChaiTan3

GTK+ programmer
the problem wasnt with the internet
the cable was not long enough to connect to the comp on which i have ubuntu
thats why i had to download the deb packages from the other comp on which windows was there

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
according to me the most irritating part of linux which i faced is the number of distro's and their packages. as a newbie i used to try various distro's and finally always ended up using windows. the packages for each distro is different and each distro has a different package manager. i mean, why to use different packages in different distro's for the same task. why not just standardize some essential packages which are common to all distro's.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
sachin_kothari said:
according to me the most irritating part of linux which i faced is the number of distro's and their packages. as a newbie i used to try various distro's and finally always ended up using windows. the packages for each distro is different and each distro has a different package manager. i mean, why to use different packages in different distro's for the same task. why not just standardize some essential packages which are common to all distro's.

All the distributions have their specific purposes. So they ARE !!!

& Before trying any distro, just think that is it suites ur need or not.....

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
shirish_nagar said:
I mean, I have to search for those repositories thru my WINDOWS BOX 'n download to WINDOWS machine & then transfer to LINUX machine...

understood ????
how did u do that, usually in order to install packages from repositories u should be logged in ur linux distro... and then download , how is that possible in windows,,, how did u come to know which files were exactly required(exact versions coz different distro's require different versions)

Last edited:

ChaiTan3

GTK+ programmer
vish786 said:
how did u do that, usually in order to install packages from repositories u should be logged in ur linux distro... and then download , how did u do that in windows,,, how did u come to know which files were exactly required(exact versions coz different distro's require different versions)
*packages.ubuntu.com/

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
ChaiTan3 said:
*packages.ubuntu.com/
whats the format of the file.... and how do u install them? after downloading... since if i download them automatically everything is installed the moment i download them in linux.

Last edited:

ChaiTan3

GTK+ programmer
vish786 said:
whats the format of the file.... and how do u install them? after downloading... since if i download them automatically everything is installed the moment i download them in linux.
they are deb packages
just open them and they can be installed if the dependencies are satisfied

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom