Difficulty in removing the front panel of Spec 01 cabinet

quicky008

Technomancer
I have an old spec 01 cabinet( bought in 2017) which has worked well thus far. However of late the power button has become faulty and requires to be pressed really hard to switch on the system-sometimes the pc doesn't start even after pressing the power button with considerable force.

To confirm whether the power button was indeed malfunctioning or not,i connected the header for the FP reset button to my mobo and now the pc starts the moment the reset button is pressed-i dont have to long press the button or apply any force to it at all.

I wanted to physically examine the power button to see if there was anything that can be done to fix it-so i tried taking off the front panel fascia of the cabinet-but despite pulling it by the tab included at its bottom,the panel didn't budge and showed no signs of moving.I tried removing it quite a few times but with no success!

I came across some reditt posts where the same issue was reported-ie the front panel of spec 01 didn't come off easily unless a lot of force was applied!

I wonder should i go ahead and pull it with all my strength?Could that break or damage anything in the process? Or should i just get rid of this cabinet and buy a new one instead?

i like the asthetics and style of the spec01 case and so if i had to replace it,should i buy the spec 01 again? its pretty cheap too!

i dont quite like the newer cabinets that have glass side panels or no optical drive bays,as i still use an optical drive for taking occasional data backups.Also glass panels are rather fragile and hard to replace if anything goes wrong with them.Also they have slots for only 1-2 HDDs at most.

K_akash_i

Journeyman
if ure gonna try removing the front panel ,u should probably unplug the pins that connect the mobo u can try pulling hard after that,U can also find a manual of ur model it may have the procedure of removal,This locking up is due to it not being removed at all for a long time or the model is made in such a manner
There are cases like spec 01 with optical drive slots(coolermaster k380 is an average example but u'd find many more of those) ,there are even workstation cases with no side glass/plastic panels .probably workstation cases have more hdd bays and more room for other storage options.
maybe there are strong enough tempered glass cases that fits ur taste and budget
if all ofem seem to not to ur liking buy another spec 01 i guess

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
the front panel fascia doesn't have any connectors for the front I/o ports-they are welded to a separate module mounted at the top part of the cabinet and its isolated from the front fascia-so the resistance thats being felt is not due to the front panel connectors.

On some models of spec 01 the front panel can be seen coming off pretty easily,without applying much force.However on others it requires a lot of force (i think it might be due to manufacturing defect of some sort).

Although one can continue to use the old cabinet by using the reset sw as the power button-but i find it rather annoying.And that would not allow me to perform reset should it ever be necessary.

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
I wonder should i go ahead and pull it with all my strength?Could that break or damage anything in the process? Or should i just get rid of this cabinet and buy a new one instead?
Can confirm that it requires too much force to budge (I have one too! Cheers mate!). Try reading the manual/watching a video to confirm if you are pulling from the correct place, then go ham on it. Even if something breaks, like you said, the case itself is pretty cheap, and you won't mind replacing it. I don't see how anything other than the case would break, just make sure you disconnect everything first[front IO and fan header] (just in case the case doesn't take the mobo with it).

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
being frustrated at not being able to remove the front panel even after repeated tries,i had to ditch it and get another case.I did watch several videos and made sure i was pulling it from the proper angle/position ie i grabbed it by the tab at the bottom part of the panel and tried to remove it,but to no avail.

Top Bottom