Difference of AA and not AA in Gaming?

jkultimate

GAMING IS NOT A CRIME
What is AA? (I guess it's Anti-Aliasing, but its meaning. What difference it makes in gaming)

What is the difference between enabling and disabling AA or 4xAA in games like Crysis?

If possible could you share a image of that comparison?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Refer this link & ur doubts will be cleared:
Anti-Aliasing Analysis, Part 1: Settings And Surprises : Defining Anti-Aliasing

OP
jkultimate

jkultimate

GAMING IS NOT A CRIME
its working fine
ok...go to tomshardware.com
this article is tagged on the left side of their home page titled as "anti aliasing analysis"

Blah blah.... It it not working neither. I tried typing it and I googled it. But not worth. What's the problem? Other sites are working fine.

OP
jkultimate

jkultimate

GAMING IS NOT A CRIME
Is the homepage of the website opening?
try to ping the website in cmd prompt....

if everything fails then use proxy servers else other internet sources

Na, not even the Home page is not opening.
How to open in CMD prompt? just type in the Address in CMD?

Piyush

Lanaya
Blah blah.... It it not working neither. I tried typing it and I googled it. But not worth. What's the problem? Other sites are working fine.

google does show the results for that site.....right?
and the same thing happens again when you navigate to it?

Na, not even the Home page is not opening.
How to open in CMD prompt? just type in the Address in CMD?

type
ping tomshardware.com

OP
jkultimate

jkultimate

GAMING IS NOT A CRIME

type
ping tomshardware.com

Typed in CMd - results -

ping request could not find host tomshardware.com. Please check the name and try again.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Typed in CMd - results -

ping request could not find host tomshardware.com. Please check the name and try again.

then its the problem with your ISP server....not with website
otherwise u wud have got "Request timed out"

now current solution is "google other websites" or wikipedia

OP
jkultimate

jkultimate

GAMING IS NOT A CRIME

type
ping tomshardware.com

1.press windows logo + R
2.type cmd press enter
3.now type the followiing keywords
ping <website address> -t

4.check the whats the reply status or else request timed out..

Result :-

Hm... IT IS THE PROBLEM OF MY ISP it think. Anyway I've got the difference from Piyush's Reply link wikipedia...
Thank you Piyush and of course to Zangestu for cmd help.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
The amount people have typed in here for a site not appearing -- they could have easily searched it out themselves.
:)

Piyush

Lanaya
well here's an excerpt from that link

What is anti-aliasing? The prefix “anti” can be defined as counteracting or neutralizing, and “aliasing” is a jagged, stair-step effect on curved or diagonal lines. Therefore, anti-aliasing means to counteract and neutralize jagged lines. When it comes to PC graphics technology, we usually refer to anti-aliasing as it pertains to 3D gaming—it’s a feature that our video cards offer to make graphics appear more attractive.

Anti-aliasing makes edges appear smoother and less pixilated by blending the color of the edge and the background.Pixels are the little square dots that make up an image on a computer screen, the smallest addressable element. Aliasing is a byproduct of using square dots to display an image.

rchi84

In the zone
to answer Op's question in very simple terms, AA is used to smoothen edges in a frame. The edges could be things like the arm, the gun, a wall, a table, a book etc..

smoothing the edges means your graphics card must analyze the elements in the current scene, detect the edges and then try to smooth it.

this means that apart from drawing the current frame, the graphics card also has to detect and smoothen the edges.

this is an additional load on the graphics card. 0 AA means the graphics card won't detect edges, 2xAA means the card will check 2 times in a frame, 4XAA means 4 times in a frame and so on.

generally speaking, mid range grade cards allow you to enable 2-4XAA without significant performance loss, while going beyond 8XAA will require a high end or even dual video cards.

Sometimes, you don't need AA if your resolution is higher than 720p, but at lower resolution, the jagged edges are more noticable. and of course, older games will allow for Anti-Aliasing without performance drops.

I have explained it in very simple terms, but if like to get confused, there are way more details to sink under lol

Top Bottom