Dial ethernet from Ubuntu

meetdilip

Computer Addict
My FTTH ISP Railwire has given an ID and password to login. They often want me to connect directly to ONU through LAN cable and dial ( as in Windows ). But I do not see any option to do so in 18.04. How do you connect ethernet + ONU and dial an ID and password in 18.04 ? Thanks.

OP
meetdilip

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Ok, I got halfway. Tried the command below and used the " + " sign to get a new DSL/PPPoE connection.
Code:
$ nm-connection-editor

All I have is the ID and password from ISP. Any idea how to fill the other boxes ?

dial ethernet.png

patkim

Cyborg Agent
In parent Interface you need to select the Ethernet adapter name. It should be available as a drop down choice.
If you do not know it, type
Code:
ip link show
in the terminal.
Leave service blank. Specify your username/password in respective boxes, exactly as provided by the ISP.
Go to General Tab and check 'Automatically connect to this network when it's available'.
Save the settings and it should connect if everything goes well.

Note - If your ISP deploys MAC id authentication and earlier you were using Router to connect, then unless you register the MAC id of your Ubuntu PC Ethernet card, you may not get internet access.

I assume you are on DHCP i.e. ISP gives you a Dynamic IP and you have not subscribed to any services like Static/Fixed IP etc, then no changes in IPv4 tab are needed. Leave it as DHCP default.

1.png

2.png

3.png

Last edited:
OP
meetdilip

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Many thanks. I am not sure which one is ethernet, enp5s0 ?

$ ip link show
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: enp5s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/ether ********** brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wlp9s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
link/ether ********** brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

patkim

Cyborg Agent
It should be enp5s0 in your case. Generally Ethernet name starts with 'en'. It should be available in the drop down in connection manager. It seems you also have a wireless adapter or card connected in your PC. Generally the wireless one would be wlxxxx.

OP
meetdilip

meetdilip

Computer Addict
I assume you are on DHCP i.e. ISP gives you a Dynamic IP and you have not subscribed to any services like Static/Fixed IP etc, then no changes in IPv4 tab are needed. Leave it as DHCP default.

I use internal static IP on this PC. Do I need to remove that ? Forgot to mention.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
To keep things simple, I suggest you don’t set any Private IP now. Just keep both Ethernet as well as PPPoE connection as DHCP in IPv4 properties, unless you have subscribed for Static IP if offered by your ISP.

Also check with your ISP if any MAC id registration is needed in case they deploy it and your earlier device was some other PC/laptop or router. OS should not matter i.e. if the same PC is dual boot Windows + Linux and earlier it connected thru Windows OS thru the same Ethernet interface, then MAC id auth should not be an issue at least for that PC on Linux.

Last edited:
OP
meetdilip

meetdilip

Computer Addict
I just tried plugging in the ethernet cable from ONU. I showed no traces of internet and displayed " wired connection 1 " there was also a disconnect option. Now when I used " Edit Connection " open, the ethernet plugged in was under " ethernet connection " and what we tried was under DSL/PPPoE. Next, I used the DSL/PPPoE where the settings are saved and under the " General " tab, I ticked the " connect automatically " option and then " Save ". That was enough. Internet was now available.

I tried all these with internal static IP. There was no conflict.

Really grateful for your assistance.

Top Bottom