details to build a new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

h3llh0l3

Right off the assembly line
Hello all,

I am planning to build a new computer for myself. I am not as experienced as you all are but yet I have done quite a bit of research and this is what I would like to buy and I would like to know how much would it cost me in india.

Motherboard: Intel DX48BT2/DX38BT(which one is better?)
Processor: Intel Core2 Extreme QX9770
RAM: 8GB
Video Card: 512MB/1GB(which one would be better?)

Questions:

1. On Intel's site it says that in above mentioned MOBO's we can put DDR3 RAM. I would like to know if DDR2 will work on these? Do we get DDR3 in India(to be specific chennai, if yes where)?
2. Would 8GB RAM be detected by a 32 bit OS or 64 bit OS?
3. Should I choose to install windows, which OS should I opt for, XP or Vista?

In brief I plan to build a killing machine :)
All help appreciated. Thanks :)

nmenon

Broken In
8GB will only be useable with a 64bit OS, Vista or XP is your choice. Vista maybe around and supported for a longer time. DDR3 is costly so if you can afford it go for it .1GB for the card is useful only if it is fast. The QX9770 might cost upwards of Rs. 55k *GB DDR2 maybe around Rs. 8-10k. I don't know about the Mobo and GFX card. DDR3 8GB could be prohibitively costly. Seeif the boards support both DDR2 & DDR3 if so opt for DDR2 temporarily till DDR3 prices fall, in which case think of spending lesser on DDR2 say 4GB and wait for DDR3 to be affordable.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
What is your budget and what will be your primary tasks on the computer?

8Gb RAM will never be utilized. Max is 4Gb.

OP
H

h3llh0l3

What is your budget and what will be your primary tasks on the computer?

8Gb RAM will never be utilized. Max is 4Gb.

Budget: 1L in hand. Can add another 50K if required.
Tasks: I am running a web server, mail server and ftp server on a P4 2GHz, 2GB DDR400. I would like to use the new rig as the primary for this task. So I will be doing a dual OS. WIndows and Linux. Windows for playing games. And when I am playing games I will switch the server to the old pc that I have.(Playing games would be once a week during weekends). I am not after OC and all that. I just thot when I am building a new rig why not build a state of art(may not be for others but just my thot).

Question: When 8GB will never be utilized why do MOBO manufacturers say that it can support that much? I am not sure of windows but in Linux I think I can specify something like bigmem and get it to recognize the 8gigs(I am not sure I could be wrong). So please someone could comment on this?

THanks.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Okay.

So, you want a computer that has very very good multrithreaded performance and potential to play games.

Let's see:

1) Core i7 920 : 15k
2) ASUS/Gigabyte X58: 14k
3) Corsair 6Gb RAM: 14k

or

1) Core2Quad Q9550 : 17k
2) ASUS P5Q Deluxe: 11k-12k (you are going to run this pc a lot so you need a mobo that saves power and is reliable
3) 4 x 2GB DDR2 800MHz Corsair RAM: 7k

You can pick the setup that you want here.

1) two seagate 500 GB (32 MB Buffer) hard drives : 6k-6.5k (each one 3k-3.5k)
2) DVD burner: 1.2k
3) Coolermaster CM 690 cabinet with trasnparent side panel: 4k or Antec 900 Black for 6k-7k
4) Corsair 650W Power Supply(CMPSU650TX) : 6k-6.5k
5) ATI HD4870 for 17k or nvidia gtx260 build 216 for 20k approx
6) BenQ 22" display for 13k or Dell 24" SE2409WFP for 20k approx
7) Razer Tarantula Keyboard : 6k-7k
8) Razer LACHESIS Mouse: 4k-5k
9) Razer Exact Mat Bundle MousePad: 1.5k-2k
10) APC 650VA UPS: 3.5k

Did I miss anything?

OP
H

h3llh0l3

Okay.

So, you want a computer that has very very good multrithreaded performance and potential to play games.

Let's see:

1) Core i7 920 : 15k
2) ASUS/Gigabyte X58: 14k
3) Corsair 6Gb RAM: 14k

or

1) Core2Quad Q9550 : 17k
2) ASUS P5Q Deluxe: 11k-12k (you are going to run this pc a lot so you need a mobo that saves power and is reliable
3) 4 x 2GB DDR2 800MHz Corsair RAM: 7k

You can pick the setup that you want here.

1) two seagate 500 GB (32 MB Buffer) hard drives : 6k-6.5k (each one 3k-3.5k)
2) DVD burner: 1.2k
3) Coolermaster CM 690 cabinet with trasnparent side panel: 4k or Antec 900 Black for 6k-7k
4) Corsair 650W Power Supply(CMPSU650TX) : 6k-6.5k
5) ATI HD4870 for 17k or nvidia gtx260 build 216 for 20k approx
6) BenQ 22" display for 13k or Dell 24" SE2409WFP for 20k approx
7) Razer Tarantula Keyboard : 6k-7k
8) Razer LACHESIS Mouse: 4k-5k
9) Razer Exact Mat Bundle MousePad: 1.5k-2k
10) APC 650VA UPS: 3.5k

Did I miss anything?

You got it all. Thanks. Just few quick question. Does above mentioned mobo's support DDR3(1033MHz). I would want to have 8Gb of those if possible. Also instead of a UPS I was thinking of an inverter(any suggestions?). Plus what sort of a cooling mechanism I can use(incase i think of OC'ing)?

THanks again. :)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
X58 supports DDR3 and ASUS P5Q doesn't

You don't need any sort of cooling if you do little bit of overclocking. With your need, I suggest that you shoudln't as webserver doesn't want to see floating point errors from processor (which happens when the overclocking is bit heavy on the processor).

Not sure if there is any core2quad mobo (talking about mobo's that won't burn pocket) that supports DDR3 (only ddr3)

forgot to mention. If you cann get the Seagate or Wester Digital 10k rpm drives, it will be even better for a webserver.

like Seagate cheetah or Western Digital Raptor. Their high speed and low latency is definite advantage for webserver.

Last edited:
OP
H

h3llh0l3

X58 supports DDR3 and ASUS P5Q doesn't

You don't need any sort of cooling if you do little bit of overclocking. With your need, I suggest that you shoudln't as webserver doesn't want to see floating point errors from processor (which happens when the overclocking is bit heavy on the processor).

Not sure if there is any core2quad mobo (talking about mobo's that won't burn pocket) that supports DDR3 (only ddr3)

forgot to mention. If you cann get the Seagate or Wester Digital 10k rpm drives, it will be even better for a webserver.

like Seagate cheetah or Western Digital Raptor. Their high speed and low latency is definite advantage for webserver.

Thanks for all the info. I guess I am all set to get my new rig. I will post back if need any more help. Thanks again. :)

OP
H

h3llh0l3

What you have prescribed suits me pretty well. And I was just checking ASUS P5 and saw that it supports DDR2 1200 Mhz, so I guess I will get that instead of DDR3. And yes I am still ready for suggestions how I can burn 1(1.5)L to get a new rig. Thanks.

prashant007

Broken In
HELLO
I`m student and my budget is Rs. 3500.
I want old PIII can anyone help me to buy it?
MY REQUIREMENTS IS
17"crt colour
40 gb HDD
256 mb RAM
KEY/MOUSE
CD W/R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom