Desktop Replacement Laptop but basic features

Status
Not open for further replies.

arijitraja

Broken In
Hi

I urgently need to buy a Laptop to replace my desktop to save space and some hassles ;-)
Now it doesnt need to be ultra light and mobile. I dont need geeky graphic cards or new inventions as well. Just a powerful processor, good upgradability and basic features like cam, dvd writer etc etc.
Any suggestions please ?

Cheers

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
1st of all please give us your budget.only then can we suggest?
& u will not get good upgradability with laptops.

Vensanga

Journeyman
if you post your requirements in another forum you may be able to get more relies..trust me i have post in the wrong forum and got no reply..and this thread is concern with moblies...Mobile monsters!!!

ssk_the_gr8

@Vensanga

this section of the forum is for laptops

Mobile Monsters All threads related to cell phones, laptops, PDAs, MP3 players, and other assorted mobile gizmos... Strictly for the geeky!

OP
A

arijitraja

Broken In
Ah just when i thought there are 3 replies, i saw none of them are suggestions :( ..
Ok my budget is 30k, max 35. Saw some machine from Dell Inspiron but not sure how are they.
*configure.ap.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=in&cs=indhs1&kc&l=en&oc=S541003IN8&s=dhs&fb=1

Vensanga

Journeyman
ok your right,and i was just wandering if you create the same thread in Hardware troubleshooting forum i hope you get more replies...thanks!!

ssk_the_gr8

Acer Aspire 5542...
its a good buy for 30k-31k it comes with windows 7HB
If you are willing to spend till 35k then go for 5542g

Last edited:
OP
A

arijitraja

Broken In
Acer Aspire 5542...
its a good buy for 30k-31k it comes with windows 7HB
If you are willing to spend till 35k then go for 5542g
I had a general feeling when I was looking for my last laptop that Acer machines are not sturdy. How does it score on durability, ergonomics and support and warranty (in Delhi) ..
and how is it wrt *configure.ap.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=in&cs=indhs1&kc&l=en&oc=S541003IN8&s=dhs&fb=1 ?

thanks a lot to both of you for your comments!

ssk_the_gr8

Acer has definitely improved its build quality, durability compared to a few years back
warranty is the same as compared to dell, hp....
the acer 5542 & 5542g are a much better deal compared to inspiron 14

OP
A

arijitraja

Broken In
I can see these Acer models on US and other sites but not on the Indian Acer website. Is it available in India ? I am going to Nehru Place tomorrow. But, the config looks quite good!

ssk_the_gr8

Nuxer... just bought it a few days ago.
contact him.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/member.php?u=57866

Last edited:
OP
A

arijitraja

Broken In
I finally went to the market for the models and prices and adding to the information i read on this forum and on this thread .. these are the models that i have shortlisted and my comments on them. Please let me know what are others views on this. These are all 15.6' models.

General Configuration is Intel T6600 C2D/3GB DDR/320 GB/15.6'/Vista/HD Display

Dell Inspiron 15 - Rs. 37800
HP DV6 2001 AU - AMD Athlon2 M300/4GB DDR/ATI Radeon/Rs. 40750
Acer 5738 - Linux/Rs. 32900
Acer 5542 - Linux/Athlon2 M300/2GB DDR/WXGA TFT/Rs. 28200
ASUS - K50IJ SX157D - DOS/4GB DDR - Rs. 32800

Some other questions
1) Whats the difference between these display types and which one is the best ? - HD WLED, LCD, HD , WXGA TFT ?
2) Whats 802.11 b/g/N .. whats this N thing ? I was told this increases the speed quite a lot and its there on the ASUS machines. Is it true ?
3) Are there any issues these days with buying AMD machines ?
4) From the list and the look and the brand value, i feel like going for the HP DV6 or the ASUS one. What do others say ?

Cheers

tech-layman

I'm techy ;)
I'm not sure of the difference between the displays. Even I have the same doubt.

Yes that N things does improve the WLAN speed appreciably.

Recently in a survey ASUS has been placed at top position for the durability of the laptops. I'ld prefer ASUS for this reason, and also because AMD does have a few heating issues.

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

I'm not sure of the difference between the displays. Even I have the same doubt.

Yes that N things does improve the WLAN speed appreciably.

Recently in a survey ASUS has been placed at top position for the durability of the laptops. I'ld prefer ASUS for this reason, and also because AMD does have a few heating issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom