Desktop processor and motherboard specifically for transcoding audio.

rupeshforu3

In the zone
Hi I am Rupesh from India and I want to buy a new pc with processor and motherboard which are manufactured specifically for audio and video.

From the past few years I am using my system to convert MP3 songs to m4a files as m4a file takes less memory space using tools like foobar and ffmpeg and the quality is acceptable.

At present my system is not working properly and so I have decided to buy a new PC and searched web for processor with specific audio dsp.

In the Intel website they have specified that they have developed Intel HD audio and windows is implementing Intel's HD audio into their os as UAA. They have even specified some chpisets.

In the amd website they have specified that they have incorporated a technology called true audio into their ryzen processors.

Unfortunately starting price of ryzen processor is high and so I have searched for another processor and found amd Athlon A 3000G perfectly suits for my current need and also affordable. The disadvantage is it doesn't have true audio.

Amd ryzen processors costs high but those has many advanced features like Zen instruction set, true audio, integrated Radeon graphics etc., which cannot be found in Intel and even in the other family of amd processors.

At present I am using PC with amd fx 4100 bulldozer processor and it has 8mb l3 cache and with DDR3 ram. But my PC doesn't have specific audio component.

As I am going to buy a new PC according to my needs I also want to buy a new sound card to transcode MP3 songs to m4a files.

If I transcode the same audio mp3 file using the same foobar and ffmpeg in two systems one is normal and another is a PC with highly tuned processor which has true audio or Intel HD audio. Is there any difference in the quality of the audio file generated between the two files with the same transcoder software like foobar and ffmpeg and with the audio dsp.

Please try to answer the above question ie., Is there any role of the audio dsp present in PC during the audio transcoding process. Some has argued that there is no specific role of processor or audio dsp during transcoding process because the transcoder like ffmpeg is an algorithm. Is it true.

If your answer is there is " yes there is the part of audio dsp circuit during the transcoding process ". Please try to suggest a nice audio dsp which is affordable and which can be inserted into the pci slot of my system.

My another question is " Is there any need to buy a processor which has technology such as true audio or Intel HD audio specifically for transcoding process.".

I have created this thread because I am not familiar as you with audio dsp circuits etc.,.

Regards,
Rupesh.,

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

quicky008

Technomancer
most cpus dont have any inbuilt DSP or chip for audio encoding-its done by the audio processing chip integrated into the motherboard,and for 95% boards its usually some variant of realtek ALC chip.

some mobos do feature audio chips from intel but they are quite rare.And there's no noticeable difference in sound quality between a decent realtek chip and intel chip dedicated to audio processing.

I dont think audio processing or transcoding is dependent on the underlying hardware for quality,but to get better audio performance overall you can buy a dedicated sound card like ASUS xonar or Creative X-FI . But due to the low demand for such cards,finding them in the market is becoming problematic nowadays.

Else you can pickup a costly motherboard with high-end audio chip integrated into it eg Realtek's ALC 1200 or SupremeFX audio(commonly found in ASUS boards).

But i dont think it will have any significant bearing on the quality of the converted audio files,as the quality depends largely on the efficiency of the algo used in the conversion software and the bitrate of the file.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
If I transcode the same audio mp3 file using the same foobar and ffmpeg in two systems one is normal and another is a PC with highly tuned processor which has true audio or Intel HD audio. Is there any difference in the quality of the audio file generated between the two files with the same transcoder software like foobar and ffmpeg and with the audio dsp.
Hmm, this might not be the case but its worth finding out. I am sure there will be a way to make audio transcoding faster, just like video transcoding can be made faster by switching encoders and gpus.

Cyberghost

Federal Agent Area 51
Staff member
You will lose audio quality if you transcode a lossy format to another. You'll need only basic hardware for transcoding an i3 system is enough for the purpose

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
Hi I have examined amd ryzen 3 3200 and ryzen 5 1600 and Athlon A 3000 processors.

Athlon A 3000 price is 6000 in flipkart

Ryzen 3 3200 price is 8450 in Tata cliq.

Ryzen 5 1600 price is 8500 in pcshop website.

First I thought to buy ryzen 3 3200 but on seeing the price of ryzen 5 1600 I want to buy ryzen 5 1600.

Ryzen 5 1600 has 6 cores and 12 threads with 19 MB l3 cache memory.

Unfortunately different websites are showing different rates some sites are showing ryzen 5 1600 cost as 30000.

I don't know what to do now.

My intention is to buy any ryzen processor which is at lowest price.

I have choosen the gigabyte b450 s2h and its cost is 5800.

Please suggest any ryzen processor which has 4 cores and with lowest price.

quicky008

Technomancer
1st gen ryzens are almost out of stock everywhere.The lowest of the 1st gen lineup was ryzen 3 1200 with 4 cores-it often sells on facebook marketplace for 3-4k as used/second hand item without warranty.

Btw why are you fixated with ryzen?

chetansha

In the zone
1st gen ryzens are almost out of stock everywhere.The lowest of the 1st gen lineup was ryzen 3 1200 with 4 cores-it often sells on facebook marketplace for 3-4k as used/second hand item without warranty.

Btw why are you fixated with ryzen?
Maybe "
In the amd website they have specified that they have incorporated a technology called true audio into their ryzen processors. "

Sent from my SM-M315F using Tapatalk

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
At present I am using PC with amd fx 4100 processor and I am attracted to it.

Now I have searched for fx processor and found that they are discontinued and old fx processor don't support ddr4 memory.

After that I found that ryzen processors are next to fx.

My current requirement is I want a processor with 4 cores and atleast 12 mb l3 cache with ddr4 memory support. It may be Intel or AMD.

I prefer any architecture like bulldozer.

Can you specify any bulldozer like processor from intel.

chetansha

In the zone
Hi I have examined amd ryzen 3 3200 and ryzen 5 1600 and Athlon A 3000 processors.

Athlon A 3000 price is 6000 in flipkart

Ryzen 3 3200 price is 8450 in Tata cliq.

Ryzen 5 1600 price is 8500 in pcshop website.

First I thought to buy ryzen 3 3200 but on seeing the price of ryzen 5 1600 I want to buy ryzen 5 1600.

Ryzen 5 1600 has 6 cores and 12 threads with 19 MB l3 cache memory.

Unfortunately different websites are showing different rates some sites are showing ryzen 5 1600 cost as 30000.

I don't know what to do now.

My intention is to buy any ryzen processor which is at lowest price.

I have choosen the gigabyte b450 s2h and its cost is 5800.

Please suggest any ryzen processor which has 4 cores and with lowest price.

Remember ryzen series requires GPU for display.
On the other hand ryzen apu (2200G/2400G, 3200G/ 3400G, 4650g, 5700G) have built in vega graphics. So do keep that in mind.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
Remember ryzen series requires GPU for display.
On the other hand ryzen apu (2200G/2400G, 3200G/ 3400G, 4650g, 5700G) have built in vega graphics. So do keep that in mind.

Thanks for your suggestion.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
Maybe "
In the amd website they have specified that they have incorporated a technology called true audio into their ryzen processors. "

Do you mean that all of the ryzen processors have true audio.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
What is the difference between the following two processors

*ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ar...310320-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz.html

*ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ar...1005g1-processor-4m-cache-up-to-3-40-ghz.html

First one comes around 160 dollar amount and it's cache memory is 8mb

The second one comes around 260 dollars and it's cache memory is only 4 mb

OP
R

rupeshforu3

In the zone
I think that first one does not have igpu while the second one has.

If I want to buy first one which motherboard suitable for it.

Top Bottom