Desktop PC performing dead slow after upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyborg007

Broken In
Hi Guys,

I have recently upgraded my branded system- Compaq sr1435IL to below configuration:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 (rev. 3.0)
Processor: Intel® Pentium® Processor G2020 (3M Cache, 2.90 GHz)
HDD: WD 500G SATA
ODD: ASUS DVD RW
M/M: 1GB Sandisk DDR3
PSU: Bestec ATX 250 12z

But after upgrading it is performing dead slow. Boot up times have gone to as high as 10 minutes(to reach the password screen).

Is there some misconfiguration with it? Need your help guyz...

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
xp is not a good choice to run a system with any intel processor newer than 2nd generation.try win 7 32bit on above config just to test performance difference.Also buy 4 gb ddr3 ram as it is very cheap now-a-days(~1200 only).

OP
cyborg007

cyborg007

Broken In
Thanks for the suggestions.. Will upgrade RAM to 4GB and will update

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

OP
cyborg007

cyborg007

Broken In
I also kind of feel that i am not utilizing the avail h/w config to the fullest... Is PSU of 250W sufficient here?

OP
cyborg007

cyborg007

Broken In
xp is not a good choice to run a system with any intel processor newer than 2nd generation.try win 7 32bit on above config just to test performance difference.Also buy 4 gb ddr3 ram as it is very cheap now-a-days(~1200 only).
I was under the impression that xp would be better in terms of performance as Windows 7 has lots of bells and whistles.. But sure will try that out

OP
cyborg007

cyborg007

Broken In
My current one is 11 yrs old.. So that might be the reason that it is not able to perform well

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
XP is not optimized for recent hardware & same goes with xp drivers.That is why even if win 7 has more bells & whistles it will most likely run faster/smoother on a recent system compared to XP.

OP
cyborg007

cyborg007

Broken In
XP is not optimized for recent hardware & same goes with xp drivers.That is why even if win 7 has more bells & whistles it will most likely run faster/smoother on a recent system compared to XP.
Got it.. Tqs.. Eager to try my pc with win 7 now

maheshn

Journeyman
Get atleast 2GB of RAM if you plan on running XP
4GB if you're planning on running Windows 7.

Also, what is your hard disk model/specs? WD Blue or Black is OK. If it is WD Green or AV-GP series then change the HDD.

A CPU upgrade to an i3-3220 will also improve performance *drastically*.

good luck with your upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom