Dell XPS 15 9530 or Macbook Pro? A slim yet powerful machine under 150k!

ritvij

rated R
So its time for me to replace my trusty old XPS 15. I need a good laptop that can provide the grunt when i want and be portable yet eye-catching ;)

I have endured this XPS for like 4.5 years already. So, I was looking to get myself a solid machine that could last me another 3-4 years. I can import the laptop from the US if need be.

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
150,000/- (max)

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Thin and Light;
15" screen is preferable.

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
Apart from basic college stuff, web design and app development.
Gaming is not of main importance, but maybe, once in a blue moon.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eyeing for ?
Nah.
Battery Life. My college is hell in terms of electricity.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Dell, Apple
b. Dislike: HP (bad experience, very bad)

6) Anything else you would like to say?
The product can be bought online or from the US. All I need is the best blend of portability and power.

I have homed in on the Dell XPS 15 9530 fully specced (from US): 140,000 ish after discounts etc.

4th Generation Intel® Quad Core™ i7-4712HQ processor (6M Cache, up to 3.3 GHz)
16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)
512GB Solid State Drive
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M 2GB GDDR5
15.6 inch LED Backlit Touch Display with Truelife and QHD+ resolution (3200 x 1800)
91 WHr, 6-Cell Battery (integrated)
3 year global accidental warranty

Or the Macbook Pro 15" Retina 2014 (India). Only one year warranty for 152,000 (student discount)

Then I laid my eyes on the Razer Blade... lovely machine but the after sales will be an issue. Can anyone please suggest an alternative? OS X seems inviting enough though.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
get this XOTIC PC | Sager NP8268 (Clevo P150SM-A) - 15.6" Gaming Notebook

xps is way underpowered for the asking price. Sager makes best VFM gaming laptops. :D

Get the Dell one..................... Guys, he needs thin n light laptop with great battery life

XOTIC one is a big no.......... Don't get it ...... [MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION] : He avoided Razer Blade due to servicing issues

MSI GS60 is good, thin n light but I don't think battery life would be great (my guess 4-5h). It's better for gaming.

But you woulld love the QHD display of Dell ........ So i think you should get that one

No for Macbook pro, from me

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Get Razer Blade 14" 2014 from USA. It's the best laptop right now. It has the right configuration of portability,power and battery life(6 hrs).

OP
ritvij

ritvij

rated R
Get Razer Blade 14" 2014 from USA. It's the best laptop right now. It has the right configuration of portability,power and battery life(6 hrs).

blade is good, but what about its servicing if something goes wrong?
[MENTION=60562]anupam_pb[/MENTION]: any specific reasons for not going the Apple way? Does Apple provide even a fraction of the warranty services that Dell does?

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Macbook pro cant be classified under "thin and light". It has a substantial weight which will make lugging it around uncomfortable.

blade is good, but what about its servicing if something goes wrong?
[MENTION=60562]anupam_pb[/MENTION]: any specific reasons for not going the Apple way? Does Apple provide even a fraction of the warranty services that Dell does?

You are a college student, so you will game......... Even though you may not play it daily, but you definitely will. So, having a Macbook has a disadvantage of no support for games........ Also I would prefer windows over osx (I've used mac OS)

Get the Dell one, it provides best after sales in India (Lenovo n samsung service guys also said so). 3 years global ADP is just great

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
You are a college student, so you will game......... Even though you may not play it daily, but you definitely will. So, having a Macbook has a disadvantage of no support for games........ Also I would prefer windows over osx (I've used mac OS)

Get the Dell one, it provides best after sales in India (Lenovo n samsung service guys also said so). 3 years global ADP is just great

Why buy a laptop with 2 gen old GPU :confused: ?? Games will lag on QHD
Even Lenovo Y50 with a replaced screen, additional warranty and RAM, SSD upgrades would be more VFM.

- - - Updated - - -

according to Dell XPS 15 (9530) Review & Rating | PCMag.com
it lacks Ethernet port :|

Why buy a laptop with 2 gen old GPU :confused: ?? Games will lag on QHD
Even Lenovo Y50 with a replaced screen, additional warranty and RAM, SSD upgrades would be more VFM.

- - - Updated - - -

His primary requirement isn't gaming like ours......... So Dell one is better for his requirements........... Why play latest games at QHD ? I play latest games at 768p in my Y500

OP
ritvij

ritvij

rated R
Guys I seriously don't game on my laptop.. For that i have a PS3..
Will the XPS 15 provide support for Windows 10 when it launches? I mean drivers?? Because my XPS never got the official driver update for Windows 8.
Won't AW 13 be too small? AW 13 has an i5 U processor. Won't that affect performance?

- - - Updated - - -

it ships with a USB to Ethernet Converter in the box!

vigneshnm

Broken In
Have you considered the MS Surface Pro 3? The i7 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD is for 135,000. Microsoft Surface PRO 3 Intel I7 8GB 256 SSD PEN Free Keyboard | eBay

OP
ritvij

ritvij

rated R
Screen size is way too small to get some work done! Alienware 13 seems a viable option though..
Used a macbook today at an Apple Store. The screen is *whistles* awesome! Will migration from Windows be a major issue?

Top Bottom