Dell Wars: Battle of customization and the Dilemma of Processors

icekid

Broken In
My project work for my college starts from the month of December. I will be using PHP and web designing tools(Dreamweaver, Photoshop etc) but I would also like to play some high end games. Basically I need a bit of future proof laptop. My budget in Rs50,000 maybe a little more and not much.

My main requirements are minimum i5 processor, more than 4GB RAM and good graphic card for gaming.
I found that The new Dell Inspiron 14R may suite my need which has:
Dell Inspiron 14R
i5 Processor
6GB RAM
640GB Hard Disk
1 GB AMD Radeon™ HD 6470M
14" Screen
Rs 44, 900

Another one I found was XPS 15R The new Dell XPS 15

i5 Processor
6GB RAM (can customize till 8GB with extra cost of course)
500GB Hard Disk
1GB NVIDIA® GT 525M (can customize 2GB NVIDIA® GT 540M extra cost)
15" Screen
Rs 51,800

My problem with XPS is that it's 15'6 inch screen is bulky. I want something portable like 14inch which is not available in XPS series. On the other hand XPS series is very customizable and Inspiron is NOT. I would like to customize some nifty features like 9 cell batteries and keyboard backlight and also little bit of luxury like maybe 2GB graphics card which can't be done on Inspiron.

I already own a Dell desktop with Core 2 Duo processor 4GB ram and 19 inch monitor. Now I need something portable, and you can also know my trust with Dell had this Desktop from 4 years and it runs perfect and I had never had any problems.

Now The Dilemma of the processors
I am going to order the laptop on November 17th and by December 17th I may get it in hand. But lately I have been hearing about AMD Bulldozer series processor which sound uber exciting. And now if I get the laptop in December and Dell releases new AMD bulldozer based laptops in February it would be like thousand sharp knives pierced on my chest. As I said I want my laptop to be a little future proof.

I NEED HELP on my decisions. Thank you in advance.

smartyrohan12

tech savy.. :D
My project work for my college starts from the month of December. I will be using PHP and web designing tools(Dreamweaver, Photoshop etc) but I would also like to play some high end games. Basically I need a bit of future proof laptop. My budget in Rs50,000 maybe a little more and not much.

My main requirements are minimum i5 processor, more than 4GB RAM and good graphic card for gaming.
I found that The new Dell Inspiron 14R may suite my need which has:
Dell Inspiron 14R
i5 Processor
6GB RAM
640GB Hard Disk
1 GB AMD Radeon™ HD 6470M
14" Screen
Rs 44, 900

Another one I found was XPS 15R The new Dell XPS 15

i5 Processor
6GB RAM (can customize till 8GB with extra cost of course)
500GB Hard Disk
1GB NVIDIA® GT 525M (can customize 2GB NVIDIA® GT 540M extra cost)
15" Screen
Rs 51,800

My problem with XPS is that it's 15'6 inch screen is bulky. I want something portable like 14inch which is not available in XPS series. On the other hand XPS series is very customizable and Inspiron is NOT. I would like to customize some nifty features like 9 cell batteries and keyboard backlight and also little bit of luxury like maybe 2GB graphics card which can't be done on Inspiron.

I already own a Dell desktop with Core 2 Duo processor 4GB ram and 19 inch monitor. Now I need something portable, and you can also know my trust with Dell had this Desktop from 4 years and it runs perfect and I had never had any problems.

Now The Dilemma of the processors
I am going to order the laptop on November 17th and by December 17th I may get it in hand. But lately I have been hearing about AMD Bulldozer series processor which sound uber exciting. And now if I get the laptop in December and Dell releases new AMD bulldozer based laptops in February it would be like thousand sharp knives pierced on my chest. As I said I want my laptop to be a little future proof.

I NEED HELP on my decisions. Thank you in advance.

i dont know but i think dell is not in association with amd at present ..i m not sure its juss what i think...

and from what i remember the laptop bulldozer version will be coming in 2012...

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
1) If you want to game and want a 14" screen, you should be looking at HP DV4 3016TX (i5, 6750M). Its graphic card is much faster than both of those in the Dell.

2) Waiting is pointless. You will end up waiting forever. BD is coming soon. Then SB-e, then HD7xxx.

OP
icekid

icekid

Broken In
1) If you want to game and want a 14" screen, you should be looking at HP DV4 3016TX (i5, 6750M). Its graphic card is much faster than both of those in the Dell.
I heard that HP has many problems, including over heating and bad support. Dell provides 3 years of warranty for few extra Rupees.

2) Waiting is pointless. You will end up waiting forever. BD is coming soon. Then SB-e, then HD7xxx.
I understand that it will be a vicious chain of waiting.. But I don't want to feel stupid after I buy it and something new comes up right away.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
I heard that HP has many problems, including over heating and bad support. Dell provides 3 years of warranty for few extra Rupees.
No overheating. Support isn't great but its decent. And it looks like it going to improve soon.
The HP DV4 only costs 42,000.
Dell charges 10k for 3 year warranty IIRC.

OP
icekid

icekid

Broken In
Not sure.. I have been using a Dell for 4 years so I trust them a lot. I will decide reading more people's comment.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
You can check this out if you want,
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/laptops-netbooks-tablets/140870-hp-dv6-6017tx-6140tx-6121tx-thread.html

smartyrohan12

it doesnt matters...gaming can be easy job with the dv4 ... n u r thinking about extended warranty even hp provides it...

smartyrohan12

being future proof at present means a core i7 processor, powerful gpu , 4gb or up ram(easily upgradable) and if u are spending that much of money then go for the best vfm piece ... otherwise fill the questionnaire so we can help u in a better way.. :)

Top Bottom