[Complaint] Dell Tech Support being unprofessional.

Sinnet

Broken In
Hi

My name is Amol Pandit. I own a Dell Vostro V13 Laptop with Service Tag Number “1YZ9JM1”. This Laptop is covered under Dell’s Complete Cover / Accidental Damage Protection Plan and Next Business Day On-Site Service up to January 3rd 2014.

On November 16th 2012, my Dell Vostro V13 Laptop (1YZ9JM1) suffered an accidental fall. Due to which the rear metal plate and bottom base were damaged. The damage was cosmetic / external. In spite of the damage the Laptop continued to function properly. Only issue was a pointed edge of a broken body part which was dangerous to human contact.

Since Dell Customer care is closed on the weekends, I contacted Dell Toll Free on 19th November 2012. I was speaking to one Mr. Praveen Uppin (Dell Tech Support Expert: Praveen_uppin@dell.com). He asked me to send photos of the damage suffered by the laptop. Which I did immediately. Thus later on the next day Mr. Praveen Uppin confirmed on November 20th 2012, that Dell will be sending the replacement parts and a local Dell Service Technician on November 21st 2012. Case ID for the same was 867162122.

Thus on November 21st 2012 the Parts (Palmrest, Bottom Base and Hinge Cover) arrived along with the Dell Technician (Akshay Kadam: TVSE294659). Mr. Akshay Kadam after being handed over the laptop immediately ran a full system Diagnostic via BIOS. This Diagnostic was run on Battery Power. No power adapter was used. This has been specifically mentioned in the Repair Order Form generated by Mr. Akshay Kadam. After the diagnostic Mr. Akshay Kadam promptly changed all the 3 spare parts and repacked the laptop. But after carrying out the repairs the Laptop would not power up (Turn ON). So he requested me to give him the Power Adapter. Which I did. The laptop then powered up with the Power Adapter connected. Thus he deduced that the Laptop would not start without adapter. This was not the case before the repairs were carried out. The laptop used to run for a full 2 Hours on battery power prior to the repairs carried out by Dell on November 21st 2012. In spite of not powering up without adapter, the Laptop showed 75% Battery remaining when the Adapter was connected and Laptop was booted into Windows. Furthermore the Battery would not Charge beyond 75%, or discharge below 75%. The same was conveyed by Mr. Akshay Kadam to Dell Tech Support via his Phone. So they updated a new complaint (possibly due to improper repair on Dell’s part) and promised a resolution soon.

So on November 23rd 2012 new parts (Palmrest, Motherboard and Syringe) arrived. So did a new Dell Technician (Mohd. Hasim: TVSE 287488). After arrival Mr. Mohd Hasim replaced only the motherboard. He said there was no need to change the Palmrest. But after changing the motherboard the issue remained the same. The laptop would not power on without the Power Adapter and neither would it charge or discharge the battery. All the testing was being done without installing the Bottom Base. So the motherboard and battery was exposed. Further, while checking what might be wrong, it was noticed by Mr. Mohd Hasim that on moving the Internal Battery Cable a little the Laptop would power up (Turn ON) without the power adapter. To confirm it, Mr. Mohd Hasim tried to replicate the results by moving / wiggling the Internal Battery Cable (Part No. JV5W3) at least 2-3 more times. Every time the result was the same and the laptop powered on without a Power Adapter. Thus Mr. Mohd Hasim updated to Dell that the Internal Battery Cable (JV5W3) was faulty and needed replacement. The same is mentioned on the Dell Repair Order form generated by Mr. Mohd Hasim on November 23rd 2012. So Dell Tech Support confirmed that the replacement would be sent soon. New Case ID 910107154993 was given.

But the next day I received a call from Dell Support that the part was not available in the country and would take a week to get it shipped. So I would have to wait. To which I agreed as I wanted the issue resolved without any problems. I was a little annoyed with the problems caused by the Dell repair service. But I was helpless.

So I waited patiently.

Finally on November 30th 2012 I received the replacement Battery Cable (JV5W3). The same Dell Technician (Mohd. Hasim: TVSE 287488) arrived the fix the problem. He then replaced the Battery Cable (JV5W3). But the issue was not resolved. So on closer inspection it was seen that the Battery Cable was not fixed properly on the Motherboard End. The Cable was inserted a bit cross inside the locking clip and thus it would be malfunctioning. So Mr. Mohd Hasim tried unsuccessfully to remove the cable from both ends. But the cable would not come out from the Battery End (Socket Type Connector). So Mr. Mohd Hasim used a screw driver to pry out the cable as the plastic pulling film was torn. Unfortunately while doing so he damaged the cable and managed to render the cable useless as the physical pins on the Socket end of the cable were torn out.

Fearing this would be marked as negative on his record; he removed the Serial number sticker from the old cable and replaced it with the Serial number sticker on the new cable. And re-affixed the OLD cable inside the laptop, claiming in report to be the NEW cable.

After this he updated Dell Tech Support that the issue remained unresolved in spite of Battery Cable (JV5W3) replacement. Which is untrue as the cable inside my laptop till date is the original one that came with the Laptop when I purchased it. He then later replaced the Palmrest again as I had the Palmrest from previous call pending collection. But also did not update to Dell Tech Support that on 3 occasions the laptop powered on but did not POST / show display after replacing bottom base.

After this the Dell Tech Support on the phone spoke to me. He told me that the battery is faulty and needs replacement. But since it is not covered under Dell Complete Cover, I would be expected to purchase it for INR 7000.
For which I agreed but asked for a condition where “IF THE ISSUE REMAINS UNRESOLVED ON CHANING THE BATTERY I WOULD GET COMPLETE REFUND FOR THE BATTERY THAT I WOULD PURCHASE FROM DELL” on which I was told that that would require Approval from seniors. And he also commented “THE BATTERY IS END OF LIFE AS IT IS”

I was shocked at this entire episode. But I remained calm. Later on December 1st 2012 I registered a complaint on the Dell Website regarding the same.

This is latest entry as of December 3rd 2012. I have not yet received approval / quote for battery. But I received a call from +918033140000 @ 10:16AM on December 3rd 2012. I spoke to the Dell Representative for 29 Minutes and 14 Seconds, explaining the wrongdoing. Initially he claimed that Dell is cancelling my warranty and refunding my Extended warranty amount which I paid. This was just absurd. So I explained in detail the situation. On which he took Mr. Mohd Hasim in conference who after a few minutes, confessed to tampering and replacing Serial number stickers for Battery Cable (JV5W3). So after the confession, the Dell Representative assured me proper action will be taken against the erring Dell Technician (Mr Mod. Hasim: TVSE 287488). I said okay but I am still stuck with the faulty laptop. On which he told me to wait for Mr. Paul (supposedly the Dell Tech Support I spoke to on November 30th 2012) to get back to me. But the only unusual thing of the conversation was that I have no written proof of the confession of guilt on Dell Technician’s part or agreement of Dell in fixing the said issue. And to top it off, the Dell Representative asked me to return the Faulty parts I have in my possession. For which I requested him to resolve my issue first. But he threatned me that “IF YOU DO NOT RETURN THE PARTS IMMEDIATELY, YOUR LAPTOP WARRANTY WOULD BE VOID AND NO SERVICE WILL BE PROVIDED.” I think this is ploy on Dell’s part to cover up this mess on their part, as I have the only physical proof proving that the Dell Technician (Mr Mohd. Hasim : TVSE 287488) has done tampering with my laptop.

Since I have exhausted all means possible to resolve my problems I am contacting you. I am totally helpless and left with a non-functioning laptop.

mohityadavx

Youngling
Try to record the conversation next time or call them make them speak its their fault and record it. Then dont worry about them cancelling warranty and refunding money simple because they cant. Extended Warranty are contract and they cannot be annulled unilaterally. once promised repair dell cant revert. Keep the parts with you. Don't give them parts until they fix up the mess created. Also take photograph of damaged parts in case you may need them later on.

If you get hold of recorded conversation then threaten them of Consumer Action if they still don't listen approach consumer court. Consumer Court are simple to use, you don't need a lawyer, and are fast (Max time taken resolve is 3 months i guess) :)

OP
Sinnet

Sinnet

Broken In
Thnx man. Will definitely try to record the conversation next time they call. Will keep this post updated for valuable information and advice.

Got a call from Dell Tech (Sunil - Same guy from December 3rd 2012) on December 04 2012. I agreed to hand over motherboard and palm rest. But did not return the tampered cables. Just minutes after this conversation got a call from Mr. Bharath Kumar (bharath_naga@dell.com). He assured me of a speedy resolution and asked for 1-2 days to sort this out. Awaiting positive outcome.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Dell once screwed up my friends Inspiron 15SE and when contacted over phone,one of the tech representatives had the audacity to say-You also have the option of going to Consumer court.
However after hundreds of call and intervention of media,Dell agreed to replace the model with a Turbo,but without warranty...:-(

Top Bottom