Deep Learning build under $2332 (1.5 lakh INR)

dlbuild_1729

Right off the assembly line
Hey guys,

I have a build for DL system here.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Deep Learning Application (Training for Speech recognition system)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 1.5 lakh INR ( $ 2332)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Ubuntu 16.04

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 2 TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Purchasing everything new

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:Immediately

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: no

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore, India. Yes. Yes.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
1. I would like a second opinion on the configuration (mainly on the GPU-CPU-Memory bandwidth compatibility with Motherboard).

2. I would like a comparison between i7-7700k and Ryzen 1700 for an appropriate choice.

3. I would like an appropriate cooling system for this build.

SPECS:
Item : Graphics Card
Brand : ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 AMP!

Price : $559 = 64.44*559 = 37,117.6 INR
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item : CPU
Brand : Ryzen 1700x

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item : RAM
Brand : CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM 2400

Price : 2*13,845 = 27690
Item : SATA hard drive
Brand : Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB (7200 rpm)

Price : 5438 INR
Item : SSD
Brand : Samsung 850 evo (250 gb)

Price : 6,997.00 INR
Item : Power supply (SMPS)
Brand : EVGA SuperNOVA 750 W

Price : 10,624.65
Item : Motherboard
Brand : MSI Z270-A Pro Socket LGA1151

Price : 11,490.00
Item : Case
Brand : Deepcool Dukase V3 Mid Tower Case

Price : 5,500.00 INR

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget -149K

AMD Ryzen R7 1700X -29500,
Asus Prime B350 Plus -8000,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB(8GBx2) 3000Mhz -14000,
Corsair CX650M -6000,
Antec P8 Tempered Glass Panel -4500,
Zotac GTX1080 8GB AMP -44500,
WD Caviar Black 2TB -9500,
Crucial MX300 275GB SSD -7000,
LG 32MN58H 22" LED IPS -17000,
Cooler Master Masterset MS120 Mechanical Gaming KB & Mouse Combo -5500,
F&D 2.1 A530U Speakers -3500.
TOTAL -1,49,000.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
^ OP doesn't want to buy a monitor. Recommending a "gaming" kb+mouse for OP's purpose makes no sense. He mentioned 2 * 16 GB ram instead of 2 * 8 GB. Also, the cabinet needs to have good airflow (no blocked front panel).
I don't know if deep learning requires either higher single core performance or higher multi-core performance or both.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
GPUs get outdated pretty quickly. Consider using spot instances on AWS. Also, have a look at Hetzner if you want a server 24x7. You get i7 6700k + 64GB RAM + GTX 1080 for 99 euro (~7.5k INR) / month.

Dedicated Root Server Hosting - Hetzner Online GmbH

I recommend starting with the new nVidia Volta GPU on AWS since it's a lot faster than the Pascal based GTX 1080 for deep learning. You can later switch to Hetzner if it's much cheaper for your workload.

EDIT: If you'll be training for prolonged durations, don't forget to account for the cost of electricity with self-hosting. At Rs. 7 per unit in Bangalore, the cost of consuming 250W 24x7 is about Rs. 1250 per month or Rs. 30,000 for 2 years!

Last edited:
Top Bottom