Deciding between A50/F1/5z

monkey

Padawan
1. Budget? - 20k - 25k
2. Display type and size? 6" - 6.5"
3. Dual sim? Yes
4. Preferred choice of brand? Samsung/Asus/Nokia/LG
5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)? Triple camera setup is preferred but is not must
6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS,Stock Android etc). Android
7. Preferred connectivity options (Dual 4G,802.11AC or 5Ghz wifi). Dual 4G VoLTE
8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)? Anything except gaming
9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? Samsung A50 / Poco F1 / Asus 5z
10. Any other info that you want to share - Phone should have good camera and battery life. Timely software updates is also a must.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Is this better than asus 5z(I prefer asus for their rma support)?
Don't know about Asus phone RMA division but I've been to Xiaomi Service center only once and that too for replacing the screen on out of warranty RN3. XDA/Miui forums have probably every solution for any possible software issues.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Does that mean I will have to by-pass Play Store?
Yes since that app isn't available on phones other that Pixels officially. I've been using gcam myself for quite sometime now and wasn't expecting such level of improvement over stock Oneplus camera.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't know about Asus phone RMA division but I've been to Xiaomi Service center only once and that too for replacing the screen on out of warranty RN3. XDA/Miui forums have probably every solution for any possible software issues.
I don't have any experience with xiaomi rma but asus has been solid for me(plus I prefer Taiwan over China :) ). Is there such a big difference between two of them after installing gcam?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I don't have any experience with xiaomi rma but asus has been solid for me(plus I prefer Taiwan over China :) ). Is there such a big difference between two of them after installing gcam?
I'd suggest you to check samples/reviews from xda, C4eTech, Dhanajay Bhosale, Joshua Vergara Android Authority for that.

Can gcam also be installed on Asus 5z? How about Samsung A50?
It should be possible but would require Camera2 Api support enabled without rooting. IIRC, Asus doesn't honors warranty of rooted/bootloader unlocked devices.
Every other Samsung smartphone except the flagships (S and Note series) is trash.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd suggest you to check samples/reviews from xda, C4eTech, Dhanajay Bhosale, Joshua Vergara Android Authority for that.
I checked gadget360 review in a hurry & what I got was that hardware of both are similar but stock cam performance of poco f1 was behind 5z.Assuming gcam raises its cam performance to 5z or slightly better than 5z even then only advantage I got is price difference.

P.S. review said poco f1 has some time limit(8min) for video recording,is this removed in gcam.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I checked gadget360 review in a hurry & what I got was that hardware of both are similar but stock cam performance of poco f1 was behind 5z.Assuming gcam raises its cam performance to 5z or slightly better than 5z even then only advantage I got is price difference.

P.S. review said poco f1 has some time limit(8min) for video recording,is this removed in gcam.
I don't see why there would be any time limit restriction on gcam. Beebom recently claimed it would perform like a S10. (I think he meant S9). Youtube link in spoiler below.

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
I am planning to order Poco F1 today but some one told me that Samsung A50 has also improved a lot after recent update. Is it true?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Updates usually improve camera/battery life etc but base hardware of A50 is far behind poco f1. This is unlike poco f1 surpassing asus 5z after huge camera improvement by gcam while both having similar base hardware.

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
Updates usually improve camera/battery life etc but base hardware of A50 is far behind poco f1. This is unlike poco f1 surpassing asus 5z after huge camera improvement by gcam while both having similar base hardware.

If the camera/battery improves then it is just the processor which holds back Samsung. The display and finish of A50 is much better than F1 in the first place. Also F1 was launched last year and might be upgraded to Android Q at the most whereas A50 should see Android R too.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Also F1 was launched last year and might be upgraded to Android Q at the most whereas A50 should see Android R too.
Custom roms will ensure you get R (RN3 was launched with lollipop and has multiple stable Pie roms).
As for A50, I doubt Samsung will support it after Q officially and lack of developer support means no custom roms for it.
If you still want a Samsung phone, try to get refurbished/used S9 in same budget. You may not get updates but would get a much better phone than A50.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
Custom roms will ensure you get R (RN3 was launched with lollipop and has multiple stable Pie roms).
As for A50, I doubt Samsung will support it after Q officially and lack of developer support means no custom roms for it.
If you still want a Samsung phone, try to get refurbished/used S9 in same budget. You may not get updates but would get a much better phone than A50.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I will not go for custom ROMs and no used phones too.

I will not go for custom ROMs and no used phones too.
If you aren't comfortable with rooting & stuff, Asus 5Z would be better for you IMO as it offers better camera out of the box. Xioami has a better track record of updates at least MIUI updates if not android version updates (like you might get latest MIUI version but not on latest android).

Samsung A50 is a good phone overall but its camera & performance can't match Poco F1 or Asus 5Z. At this budget, A50 would be my choice for my parents as its camera is good enough & they care about brand value. The latest update apparently improved its fingerprint sensor's responsiveness but it's still slower than traditional sensors. A50 will definitely get Q update & has a good chance of getting android R as well because the 2016 & 2017 A5 got 2 android version updates.

If you are into rooting & stuff, Poco F1 has the best potential for improvement. With a stock android based custom ROM & GCam its pretty good as Goku said. Again if you aren't into those stuff, just avoid it as rooting is becoming tougher nowadays + banking apps don't work (there is a way to bypass them though).

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Again if you aren't into those stuff, just avoid it as rooting is becoming tougher nowadays + banking apps don't work (there is a way to bypass them though).
Is this applicable to just rooting or both rooting & custom ROM(I mean will a custom ROM with no rooting work fine with banking apps).

Top Bottom