DDR RAM giving error

Status
Not open for further replies.

arijitraja

Broken In
i have a P4 1.6 GHz system with currently 256 MB of SD RAM 133 MHz and Motherboard VIA 8233. Some days back i wanted to increase the RAM and i opened the cabinet to find that it has got 2 SD RAM slots and 2 DDR Ram Slots. I couldnt figure out why was i given SD RAM with a p4 system. The
reason might be that when i bought it about 2.5 yrs back the DDR RAM rates were too high.
NOw i bought Ram which the following written on it. "KINGSMAX 256 MB-DDR 333". i removed the existing SD RAM from my system and plugged in this new RAM just to find that the system isnt booting and given the RAM error beep when i start the PC. i thought of check up with the BIOS. In that in the DRAM settings, there were just 2 speed options 100 and 133. SO does that mean that my motherboard Via 8233 doesnt support DDR RAm. i am totally confused. If it has got slots for it y would it not support it. I tried the RAM with both the slots and both were giving errors. Please help me out.

expertno.1

Technomancer
hey man this is the reason

ur motherboard either doesn't support 333 hz

or doesn't support DDR SDRAM

as u were using SDRAM it means ur system is
SDRAM based

u cannot use DDR SDRAM

i have too the sam e thing

so replace ur DDR SDRAM with SDRAM

thats all amn

post here again

rohanbee

Padawan
Yes what expert said is true. Your system supports sd-ram not ddr and probably it will be hard to find ddr ram and eventually expensive too!!

D

dinesh_singh

your system cant have 2 ddr slots and 2 sdram slots.
either it supports ddr sdram or it supports sdram
in ur case sdram is supported so thats the biggest point and replacement is the only option....

saROMan

QA Juggler
well i had heard ..about such mobos..so if ur Bios shows only 100/133 means it support SD..so plz consult ur vendor for info..as if DDR was not supported by mobo..there is no use to give it on mobo..so may b u need a BIOS update or some Hardware Tweak......

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
dinesh_singh said:
in ur case sdram is supported so thats the biggest point and replacement is the only option....
No buddy u r wrng.There were mobos that had bothddr nd sd slots.Like MSI KM2M, KM3M LXZ nd ASUS A7266E nd so on

Anyway try to downclock ur ram using bios,run it at 266 FSB (133 DDR),it should work

D

Deleted member 5901

sidewinder said:
dinesh_singh said:
No buddy u r wrng.There were mobos that had bothddr nd sd slots.Like MSI KM2M, KM3M LXZ nd ASUS A7266E nd so on

Anyway try to downclock ur ram using bios,run it at 266 FSB (133 DDR),it should work

Sidewinder is right !!! Thts y it says 100 and 133 !!! DOwnclocking or changing it for slower RAM will be much better !!! Coz ur Board's Bios does not support IT !!! try and FIND for a BIOS update !!! Or ASK ur VENDOR TO UPGARDE IT FOR U !!!

I Will DEFINETELY B IMPROVEMENT !!!

CHEERS !!!! :wink: :!:

OP
A

arijitraja

Broken In
DDR query.

hi.. as everyone told me that there might be a FSB problem and a lower frequency RAM might work... some of u told me to upgrade my RAM. Can any one send me a link of how to do this ? Award 6.0 Bios for VIA 8233 MBoard. Moreover how should i downclock my RAM ? i am 333 MHz and the options only show 100 and 133.

suhasingale

Journeyman
sidewinder said:
dinesh_singh said:

How shud we downclok our RAM wid higher Mhz. Coz wen we insert a RAM wid Higher Mhz in our MOBO den da MOBO does not boot. some time it gives a long beep and some time don't in such case how shud we downclok our RAM frm BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom