Custom GRUB

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
Hello

I installed Windows 10 and later Kali Linux..

But now I only get Kali Linux booting. Windows is still there but not showing in boot OS selecttion

Is there any utility where I can install my own GRUb boot menu or just have a simple boot menu with windows and other os installed

OP
Skyh3ck

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
ok, so installed windows 10 fresh, and created three othher partition, now i want to dual boot with Kali linux also.

last time it took 3 hours to install kali linux, is it normal

please guide me i want to keep both windows and kali on separate partition

i can use virtual, but i heard that i need a new wifi adapter if i use on VM, if its possible to use with VM i can install vm, other else please help me

also i downloaded kali and made a bootable pen drive with rufus, but i am not having live kali option only install and that too takes 3 hours to install

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
ok, so installed windows 10 fresh, and created three othher partition, now i want to dual boot with Kali linux also.

last time it took 3 hours to install kali linux, is it normal

please guide me i want to keep both windows and kali on separate partition

i can use virtual, but i heard that i need a new wifi adapter if i use on VM, if its possible to use with VM i can install vm, other else please help me

also i downloaded kali and made a bootable pen drive with rufus, but i am not having live kali option only install and that too takes 3 hours to install
Use etcher to burn images. Better than Rufus. balenaEtcher - Flash OS images to SD cards & USB drives

Most cases Grub, just detects. I've posted the link already how to do it.

Sent from my vivo 1807 using Tapatalk

OP
Skyh3ck

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
Any times I try to venture into Linux world and I ho back to windows after banging my head when some command does not work and there is no easy explanation or answer or solution..

As there are so many linux distros.. googling a commnad and error shown so many result of other linux version.. anyway I will still try some time

All linux should have quick tips on any given error or commnad

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Windows was already installed when you installed Kali, right? Also, are you booting using UEFI mode in the USB drive when installing? In UEFI mode, the linux install should automatically detect the Windows booloader in the EFI partition and thus the installer will automatically create an entry in GRUB. If the EFI partition is not detected for whatever reason (booting in non-UEFI mode from pen drive perhaps?) then it will not do so.

Also, do you use GPT partitions? MBR partitions are kind of troublesome these days for modern bootloaders.

OP
Skyh3ck

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
Ok

Laptop configuration

Lenovo v130
Intel i3 8th gen
4gb DDR4RAM
1 TB HDD
optical disk, 15 inch screen
Intel dual band 7265 wifi card..

I used SanDisk cruzer 8 gb pen drive.

I downloaded the first file from the Kali download site the installer one of 3,gb

*www.kali.org/downloads/

..the inbuilt wifi card supports monitor mode..

Now I have installed the windows back and created three more partition one is for Kali and one for Ubuntu or mint and one for data..

Windows is installed.. now which one should I install next Kali or Ubuntu...

Also if Kali works with live USB I don't want to install it I can use from pen drive.. but again there is no option to boot into live mode..

This for learning ethical hacking.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Now I have installed the windows back and created three more partition one is for Kali and one for Ubuntu or mint and one for data..
Windows 10? It will create an EFI partition by default. However, you must also boot into UEFI mode with the Kali USB so that you can use this EFI partition for the bootloader.

Also, have you disabled secure boot from your BIOS? Some distros require this to be disabled before you can install them, just a quirk that Microsoft introduced to make installing other OSs annoying. Check the requirement for Kali and whether this is needed or not.

It doesn't matter which one you install first. When you are in the live environment, check the mount point of /boot:

Code:
mount -l | grep boot

This will show which device is mounted as /boot. After this, verify whether the device listed is same as the EFI partition:

Code:
sudo fdisk -l | grep EFI

If this is verified, then during install, the windows boot loader will get added to GRUB automatically during install. If there is a discrepancy in any of these commands (empty response or error) then perhaps something is not right.

Also if Kali works with live USB I don't want to install it I can use from pen drive.. but again there is no option to boot into live mode..

It's better to install because performance will be somewhat slow in the live environment. Also, no persistent storage (for most distros) so any saved files will be lost on next reboot.

Top Bottom