Crysis 3 settings on a mid range card

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey Guys,

I recently started playing crysis 3 on my laptop.My lapto has a Amd Radeon 8850m graphics chip, wrt desktop cards the performance of the 8850m should lie between the desktop radeon 7750 and the 7770.

I wanted to know which graphics settings should extract the best quality without compromising on the performance.

For reference I am getting 20-25 Fps on high preset, 16 AF and 4*Msaa

Cheers!
Abhijit

gameranand

Living to Play
Yes it is, the game looks bad otherwise

Well it also give a big kick to the performance so I suggest you to keep it minimum. Also post a screenshot of the settings you are using, played this game a long time so I have forgotten all the settings. Maybe once I see them them then I could help you with setting and tweaks. :)

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Well it also give a big kick to the performance so I suggest you to keep it minimum. Also post a screenshot of the settings you are using, played this game a long time so I have forgotten all the settings. Maybe once I see them them then I could help you with setting and tweaks. :)

Nvm, I did some research and found the settings.

I am running high,16*AF,SMAA*4 , and man crysis 3 looks spectacular on SMAA*4.

I am getting around 25 Fps with these settings

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
If one tries a little then it's playable at Very high and FXAA.

Nvidia's FXAA and TXAA are completely useless, might as well rub a tub of vaseline over my screen to achieve the same effect.

But man smaa*4 looks awsome

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
TweakGuides.com - Crysis 3 Tweak Guide this should help you :)

Thanks, I allready went through all of that and couple of others. Smaa seems to be the best looking AA mode in crysis 3 which doesn't compromise on performance.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
TXAA on Crysis 3 is **** but for some games like AC IV:Black Flag, it's awesome. BTW FXAA is better than 2x SMAA but 4x SMAA is better than FXAA.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW How the hell did you get 25 FPS constant on high+4xSMAA.

In the first mission, outside I get anywhere between 14-21. Inside I get 26 max.

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
TXAA on Crysis 3 is **** but for some games like AC IV:Black Flag, it's awesome. BTW FXAA is better than 2x SMAA but 4x SMAA is better than FXAA.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW How the hell did you get 25 FPS constant on high+4xSMAA.

In the first mission, outside I get anywhere between 14-21. Inside I get 26 max.

Didn't measure the exact number but it definitely was above 20 in the second mission, expect for a few areas with heavy textures and lighting where a frame or two was skipped.(motion blur is set to low)

Acc to websites smaa*2 is better than fxaa and txaa Is the worst of the lot.

Also smaa*4 looks much better than msaa*4 or *8.I tried all the settings personally smaa*4 looks magic or something, lol

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Didn't measure the exact number but it definitely was above 20 in the second mission, expect for a few areas with heavy textures and lighting where a frame or two was skipped.(motion blur is set to low)

Acc to websites smaa*2 is better than fxaa and txaa Is the worst of the lot.

Also smaa*4 looks much better than msaa*4 or *8.I tried all the settings personally smaa*4 looks magic or something, lol

I liked FXAA better than 2x smaa. FXAA smooths the edges better(BTW I am talking about FHD). 4xsmaa is still pretty demanding.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I played C3 long time back, finished it some dozen times, and un-installed, so don't even remember. How many types of AA did it have?

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
FXAA and TXAA arent actually AA, they imitate AA by blurring the edges, they have almost no effect on performance but produce the worst quality.MSAA is the oldest AA technique and arguably produces the best image quality, but takes quite a huge performance hit.

SMAA is the new kid in town, it combines AMD'S MLAA and MSAA to achive results similar to MSAA but with less of a performance overhead

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
SMAA-temporal SSAA+MSAA.

TXAA is very taxing(4xTXAA is more taxing than 4xMSAA) and is beautiful in some games like Assassin's creed:Black Flag. In Crysis 3, it's sht but it's no wonder because Crysis 3 is part of AMD's gaming evolved campaign.

Top Bottom