Cpu overheating. Need advice plz.

Agni

Broken In
My cpu is overheating quite a lot , need advice to solve this fast as even under normal usage cpu reaches 80++ deg C .

my cpu is quite old , brought it in 2009.
A few days earlier i decided to clean my pc , afterwards when i checked the temps they were around 60 deg under idle.
i ran some games and within minutes to temps touch 95+ even crossed 100 deg a few times. i was surprised as the pc didnt auto shutdown.
I dont know how long has this problem existed as pc never did shutdown even when i played heavy games.

specs :

core 2 quad 8400s
Intel DG41RQ
4 gb ddr2 ram
msi 7770 hd

I use a stock fan (they run at 100%) and dont have additional fans in cabinet.
I know i need to replace thermal paste , but i am skeptical that just applying tim will solve all my problems what else can be done ?

Plz advice what steps should i take
Since its diwali i have only have 2 thousands rs for it.

Screenshots :

this is while normal use (Both min and max)

*i59.tinypic.com/s4mn9e.png

This is minutes into MGR - revengence.

*i57.tinypic.com/156zbs0.jpg

Attachments

• SS1.png
    SS1.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Use quality thermal paste. No need to be skeptical because a good thermal paste can do wonders.

OP
A

Agni

Broken In
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] can Tim help me bring down temps below 70 at full load ??
[MENTION=16057]singh[/MENTION] ya i checked it thrice , it seems fine and isnt shaky

can you guys suggest some good tims ....

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] can Tim help me bring down temps below 70 at full load ??
[MENTION=16057]singh[/MENTION] ya i checked it thrice , it seems fine and isnt shaky

can you guys suggest some good tims ....

I was able to drop temps from 94 to 80 using IC Diamond in my laptop.

OP
A

Agni

Broken In
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] that nice , but would prefer to keep it under 70 . where can i get it in india ..?
[MENTION=16057]singh[/MENTION] will reseat it later , added a ss to op.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] that nice , but would prefer to keep it under 70 . where can i get it in india ..?
[MENTION=16057]singh[/MENTION] will reseat it later , added a ss to op.

Wait, if I understand correctly, you just opened up the case without replacing thermal paste before putting it back. This introduced air between the CPU and heatsink. This is the reason why your CPU is overheating. At this point, even local thermal paste will do wonders.

OP
A

Agni

Broken In
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] hmm.... i did that , didnt had thermal paste with me at tht time, but i also did clean my gpu and it seems fine.
[MENTION=16057]singh[/MENTION] can you see it now ?? i use core temp.

OP
A

Agni

Broken In
[MENTION=16057]singh[/MENTION] lol .. i didnt clean the paste off my processor , i just cleaned the heatsink and fan.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Just get something like noctua nt-h1, arctic mx 4 or Shin Etsu.
IC Diamond is the best in the world right now but not available in India(I had to spend 5k to get one measly tube).
Avoid Arctic Silver V.

OP
A

Agni

Broken In
[MENTION=248727]seamon[/MENTION] thanks will check them out... :)

[MENTION=16057]singh[/MENTION] well used both real temp and hwmonitor, both show similar results..

p.s - why does the forum logs me out minutes after i log in and try to post something... ?

OP
A

Agni

Broken In
ok , reseated my fan the problem still exists .. the temps are still very high
haven't ordered the TIM yet as been busy with stuff...

should i get a new cooler or just Tim or Both... ? well budget is 2k max

p.s - happy belated diwali and new year to all :)

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Apply Tim and see whether problem persists or not. It is better not to use the PC till that time.

approveme

Right off the assembly line
Sometimes the CPU fan is dusty; have you been cleaning inside regularly? If overheating is caused by a faulty fan, it can be replaced quite cheaply.

Top Bottom