CPU cooler

rahulbasu

Broken In
I have an intel i5-2500k with the stock cooler. It is a 2012 build. I just changed the thermal paste. Using HWInfo32, I've found that when I run an encoding job on Handbrake, the CPU starts heat throttling initially around 60% utilization (from Windows Task Manager), and over time drops to 50%. When the CPU is idling, the temperature is around 64-68 degrees.

Seems like I need a new cooler. This encoding job is the most difficult thing I use the CPU for (no games). Please suggest whether I should go for a new Intel cooler, or if you recommend some other?

Thanks in advance
Rahul

mayurthemad01

Journeyman
@rahulbasu: I would recommend this one if you want a quality cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 RED LED (Single Fan) - mdcomputers.in
Make sure your cabinet can support since coolers height is 160mm.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your 2500k processor is idling at 64-68C then something is very wrong with either your fan or how you applied thermal paste & I think latter is more likely because unless your stock fan is rotating at less than 1/3rd of its capacity I doubt 2500k can reach such high temps when idle.
@SaiyanGoku @omega44-xt

OP
R

rahulbasu

Broken In
I don't think it is the thermal paste. It is Arctic MX-4 2019 ed, and applied in single spot as recommended. Before I used this, it was thermal throttling around 25% utilization.

Right now, the motherboard (GIGABYTE H61MS (ITE IT8620E)) is reporting temperature in the 40-45 C range, except for "Temperature 6" which is 57-64 C. The CPU is less than 30% utilization, temperature 70-80 C. Speedfan reporting CPU fan @ 2400 rpm or so. Tops off at 2800 rpm or so.

When temperature drops to 61 C, fan is spinning at around 2100 rpm

I opened the case, the CPU fan is spinning. But when I reapplied the thermal paste, I got a lot of black stuff on my hands from the fan housing. It is possible that the fan isn't working too well.

Clean the heatsink, all fans on case & all the vents. Since you will be taking out your CPU cooler, obviously repaste it.

If temps are still high, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black is a good budget CPU cooler (there are multiple Hyper 212s, Black seems to be the best among them).
Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition (Single Fan) - mdcomputers.in

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I have an intel i5-2500k with the stock cooler. It is a 2012 build. I just changed the thermal paste. Using HWInfo32, I've found that when I run an encoding job on Handbrake, the CPU starts heat throttling initially around 60% utilization (from Windows Task Manager), and over time drops to 50%. When the CPU is idling, the temperature is around 64-68 degrees.

Seems like I need a new cooler. This encoding job is the most difficult thing I use the CPU for (no games). Please suggest whether I should go for a new Intel cooler, or if you recommend some other?

Thanks in advance
Rahul
Intel stock coolers are trash. Better to get Hyper 212 black as suggested above or Noctua NH-U12S if you plan to go for a major platform upgrade in few months.

mitraark

Decrepit
*www.amazon.in/Antec-Cpu-Cooler-Fan-Compatible/dp/B01HLAHDWE

ANTEC A30 - Get this one. It may look cheap, and the fins are a bit soft and bends easily, but it works wonderfully. The clamps are of great quality, along with the mounting bracket, it sticks to the CPU really tightly.

My intel stock cooler for i5 760 became loose and Idle temps was around 65C region. This bought it down to 35. Load temps are 70-75 now instead of 95.

Some may tell you to spend more on costlier coolers for better performance, I can assure you there would hardly be much difference if at all for double triple quadruple the price for Cooler Master coolers. If you want to show off, use the cooler when you upgrade, then itd be ok. Otherwise, save money and get this one. Personal vouch.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some may tell you to spend more on costlier coolers for better performance, I can assure you there would hardly be much difference if at all for double triple quadruple the price for Cooler Master coolers. If you want to show off, use the cooler when you upgrade, then itd be ok. Otherwise, save money and get this one. Personal vouch.
This is not entirely correct, costly better coolers make a lot of difference when using latest 3rd gen ryzen or 8th gen & above i7 processors. of course spending 3-4k on a cpu cooler for 6th gen i5/i7(even if moderately overclocking) is more than enough but certainly not for the above mentioned processors.

OP
R

rahulbasu

Broken In
Clean the heatsink, all fans on case & all the vents. Since you will be taking out your CPU cooler, obviously repaste it.

If temps are still high, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black is a good budget CPU cooler (there are multiple Hyper 212s, Black seems to be the best among them).
Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition (Single Fan) - mdcomputers.in
Thanks for this. It worked. At 100% CPU for 15 minutes, max temperature was 76. Idling is at 38-39.
Stupid me. Here's what happened. Basically, the white tiny plastic legs of the stock cooler got misaligned & splayed, so it went down but didn't stay locked down. Today, I took the motherboard out and tried to install the cooler without the cabinet in my face, and I learnt that I have to push the cooler in without pushing on the legs. Once it is in place, then push the legs to get the black lever to push the white extensions outwards and turn the legs to lock. Hope it helps others.

Thanks a ton omega44-xt for your help, and to everyone for their advice.

Thanks for this. It worked. At 100% CPU for 15 minutes, max temperature was 76. Idling is at 38-39.
Stupid me. Here's what happened. Basically, the white tiny plastic legs of the stock cooler got misaligned & splayed, so it went down but didn't stay locked down. Today, I took the motherboard out and tried to install the cooler without the cabinet in my face, and I learnt that I have to push the cooler in without pushing on the legs. Once it is in place, then push the legs to get the black lever to push the white extensions outwards and turn the legs to lock. Hope it helps others.

Thanks a ton omega44-xt for your help, and to everyone for their advice.
So, still running stock cooler, right?

Top Bottom