Costs involved in Getting LCD's from abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

imjimmy

Broken In
Anyone has any idea about the wisdom of procuring LCD's from abroad.It's quite cheaper in most of the countries like US, China etc...
I have friends there who can get it for me. Any idea about the warranty issues here and how important(the warranty) will be for a 17" LCD from a reputed firm like Samsung, BENQ etc..

DO you think it's worth trying to procure the LCD from abroad or wud it be better if i spend more money and get it from here.

Thanks,

Most products come with international warranties. Get a brand that's supported in India.

Also, you need to consider cost of importing (customs duties). You will have to prove that the total value of your import is less than INR 25,000/- (per person) at the airport customs declaration counter. Have purchase receipts ready with you on arrival.

Keith

tuxfan

Technomancer
I would suggest just buy locally. That will ensure little better support and you don't risk breakage and damage.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
The problem with LCDs is that they are fairly delicate. You wouldn't want to risk any damage involved in bringing one from abroad. Of course they are cheaper there, but like Keith said, you will have to prove to the customs that your LCD monitor cost less than 25k - not something easy coz you are dealing with Indian customs :D

Better support is definitely guaranteed when you buy the product in India itself. But if you still want to get it from abroad, make sure the brand you buy will honor the warranty in India. Call up the company and ask them about it. Only then purchase it from outside of India.

OP
I

imjimmy

Broken In
Thanks everybody for the replies..

If i decide to get an LCD it will definitely be less than 25K INR.. BUt as you said it might be tough to convince the customs..

I always find it absurd that there is no duty at all on laptops. But every other product has duties..especially an LCD which is so light.

I am getting a good deal on a Dell and a Samsung with prices that are significantly cheaper than here..so thinking of taking the plunge.. Will contact the companies here..and see if they honor warranties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom