Confusion about ping

setanjan123

In the zone
So guys I always had this idea that less ping is always better. Now I have this guy that is claiming that it is different in the case of mobiles. He is saying that he has personally tested it. He says more ping = better response. So what's the deal?? Kindly use layman terms please. I am no networking guru

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Ping (networking utility) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ping is a computer network administration software utility used to test the reachability of a host on an Internet Protocol (IP) network and to measure the round-trip time for messages sent from the originating host to a destination computer.

Means lesser is always better.

OP
setanjan123

setanjan123

In the zone
Hmm I know that. But is it possible to have two connections but the faster one is having more ping?? Because that's what I saw. In that case which connection should one choose?

vedula.k95

Behind Enemy Lines
Hmm I know that. But is it possible to have two connections but the faster one is having more ping?? Because that's what I saw. In that case which connection should one choose?

ping usually depends on the routing of the ISP for instance BSNL provides less ping in Singapore server than in New Delhi.

gameranand

Living to Play

Yes it can happen. Ping depends on Hop counts, routing tables and distance. In the case you mentioned, it depends what you do with your internet, if you do not play online games much and are heavy downloader then the connection with better speed might be preferable. I am assuming that price is same for both the connections.

Top Bottom