confused on processor vs graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

windchimes

Can you hear it..??
hi,

heyy i need a new machine for graphics applications and i need to know whether i should invest more on processor or graphics card.

Should I go for Opteron and a 6600gt card...
or
Should I go for AMD Dualcore x2 with a quadra card...

plzzz clear my doubts. Thanking You.

regards
Windchimes

aquamatrix

Journeyman
well man amd is not the way to go, until and unless you have an old amd based mobo which you want to use dont go for AMD. the intel core 2 duo's are very good.

an e6300 (9k) + 7900 gt (16k) will be quite good.

though if you want to stick to amd then get a 4200+ X2 am2 and a 7900 GT or 7900 GS (14.5k)

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Well .. for graphics applications , i'd recommend a 6 series card ,... coz those are easily soft-moddable to Quadro's ... and that makes really some diff.

Say , get a E6400 with a 6800GS ...

OP
windchimes

windchimes

Can you hear it..??
hi,

thanks for the replies...but those cards mentioned above are a bit expensive..can you suggest a good machine for the purpose for 48k with the best pro-gpu-mobo combination. Thanking You.

regards
Windchimes

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
What will u be using this machine for?
See for graphics purpose go the best CPU and more RAM that comes within ur budget. Also get a minimun 6600gt.
But if you are into gaming get a C2D/AMD X2 + minimum of 7600gt + 1GB RAM.

aquamatrix

Journeyman
e6300 = 9K
MSI Neo P965-F = 7k
7600 GT/7900 GS /7900GT = 11k / 14.5k /16k
17in Crt samsung synamaster 794 / 17 in LCD samsung 740n = 5k/11k
1gb ddr2 @ 667 Transcend value ram = 5.5k
liteon DVD/RW = 2k
Seagate or WD 160 GB / 200 GB / 250 GB = 3k / 3.7k / 4.2k

well choose what you want

cheers!!!

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
Look, if your priority is gaming, then A64 single core + 1900xt > Dual core + 7900GT in majority of cases. The GPU is way more important and there are no 2 ways about it. But games of the near future will use the CPU almost as much as the GPU, or atleast use the CPU much more than what is the current requirement, so it would be a good idea to get Amd X2 or Intel C2D + atleast 7900GT/1900xt level card or Dx 10 card.

But for graphic apps like maya, 3ds max, flash etc, I doubt whether the GPU is going to make any difference at all unless you are a professional. So for most of us any el cheapo card or lower mainstream card equiped with a fast CPU and lots of RAM is what counts for these apps.

What is your priority?

OP
windchimes

windchimes

Can you hear it..??
hi,

yes..i want to use this machine for running 3d applications...any other suggestions....

regards
Ranju

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
RAM will matter the most, CPU will be very important, get a lower mainstream GPU, it would hardly matter unless you are a pro or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom