Confused about purchase

The PC at my home which my parents use is about to die (its 8 years old). So my parents asked me to buy a new laptop worth $600-800. I am looking at Asus F510UA (link) which seems a great choice for $600.

Another thing is that I was planning to change my gaming laptop later this year during Black Friday with the launch of next-gen Nvidia GPU, but sadly Nvidia didn't showcase anything at GDC. I was hoping to get the successor of GTX 1060 but now that isn't possible.

So my dilemma is, should I get Asus F510UA for my parents or give my old laptop to them & buy Dell 7577 for myself? Money wise 2nd option seems better as resale value of laptops isn't great.

My current laptop is Dell 7559 which is 2 years old now (under warranty) & it didn't have any problems yet. The thing is my parents would like the laptop to function properly for at least 5 more years. So can I expect my current laptop to run that long? I'm under the impression that current electronics aren't made to last as my older gaming laptop (Lenovo Y500) got a major motherboard issue after 3 years.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Give your old laptop to your parents and buy a new one for yourself.
And nobody can give an estimate as to how much time your old laptop might last but since your parents will use it for office works only it might even last more than 5 years.
My sisters laptop is now running its 6th year. She uses it for office works only. (office works meant MS Office, browsing)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my experience "Heat" is the biggest issue for laptops in India & obviously for gaming laptops its impact will be much higher than a regular usage laptop.As long as laptop is not damaged physically & is operated in a cool environment where its temps never exceed 40-50C(all components incl hdd) even for an hour(only possible with regular usage scenario & well cooled room) then there is a good chance that laptop will last for years.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Current new Laptops aren't built to last, more prone to failure .. Plus It is costly to get them repaired , old laptops were good with long lifes... Have heard this from 3 repair guys recently...

You may confirm this from more..

If portability is not required desktop is almost always better .. Cheaper and generally longer life span

It may be better to look into prebuilts with warranty extensions from Dell ,HP .. As it will be much easier for them in case they need after sales , otherwise you need to have a trustworthy local support guy/ or some tech savvy person that can rma individual components..

Go with 3 year warranty extension offers .. Most issues start arising in 3rd year ..No matter how good product/manufacturer is there is no guarantee against failure .. Just look at service centre of best brands

Black Friday is very far away.. Word has it next gen gpus will use Gddr6 , and they will be mass produced starting in next 3 months .. And that is when they are expected to be announced..

Last edited:
OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
Current new Laptops aren't built to last, more prone to failure .. Plus It is costly to get them repaired , old laptops were good with long lifes... Have heard this from 3 repair guys recently...

You may confirm this from more..

If portability is not required desktop is almost always better .. Cheaper and generally longer life span

It may be better to look into prebuilts with warranty extensions from Dell ,HP .. As it will be much easier for them in case they need after sales , otherwise you need to have a trustworthy local support guy/ or some tech savvy person that can rma individual components..

Go with 3 year warranty extension offers .. Most issues start arising in 3rd year ..No matter how good product/manufacturer is there is no guarantee against failure .. Just look at service centre of best brands

Black Friday is very far away.. Word has it next gen gpus will use Gddr6 , and they will be mass produced starting in next 3 months .. And that is when they are expected to be announced..

This is the thing that's holding me back from giving it to my parents. Although Dell laptops seem to have better life compared to others.

As my father is planning to carry the laptop sometimes while traveling, can't get a desktop (his office laptop sucks). Even though GTX 1180 & 1170 might be announced this July, I don't think there would be laptops with GTX 1160 in the market before Black Friday.

At my hometown it doesn't matter if something has a warranty or not as there are no service centers. Nearest one would be 1000km+ away :p

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
In my experience "Heat" is the biggest issue for laptops in India & obviously for gaming laptops its impact will be much higher than a regular usage laptop.As long as laptop is not damaged physically & is operated in a cool environment where its temps never exceed 40-50C(all components incl hdd) even for an hour(only possible with regular usage scenario & well cooled room) then there is a good chance that laptop will last for years.
My laptop's CPU operates between 50-55C under normal usage, although other components stay below 50C. These are readings from a room kept at 22C.

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
Give your old laptop to your parents and buy a new one for yourself.
And nobody can give an estimate as to how much time your old laptop might last but since your parents will use it for office works only it might even last more than 5 years.
My sisters laptop is now running its 6th year. She uses it for office works only. (office works meant MS Office, browsing)
Sounds reassuring, which brand BTW?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
50-55C is alright for a processor.In my experience it is usually the laptop mobo or laptop gfx card(if used heavily) that have high chances of failing first.Getting long warranty as suggested by @gta5 is the best way for such situations.Build quality wise I think Dell is better than HP which in turn is better than Lenovo on an average(there might be some exceptions).

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
If you want a long lasting laptop then focus on CPU and its cooling mechanism.
Get one which has excellent cooling in the market.
Intel 8th gen CPU are good for laptop with good battery backup.

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
I decided to buy a new laptop for my parents after having a discussion with them. In my hometown there are no official service centers, so my parents wanted the device to run without problem for years. Financially not a great decision but I can't argue with their logic.

Also, I ended up ordering Dell XPS 13 9360 (i5 8250U/8GB/128GB/Touch) for $900 as they question the reliability of Asus.

Now I plan to wait for next-gen Nvidia GPUs for myself, so another year of wait.

abirthedevil

In the zone
They are at Port Blair? Lol good luck getting anything serviced here, more chances of laptop getting total'ed than fixed in their hands. Jokes aside, a lot of the electronics life depends on user as well. If the user is a bit tech savvy and can troubleshoot smaller problems, the device will last longer else spending more banking on better reliability is a waste specially for computers. You have purchased a great device for your parents, I hope they use and treat it well. Unlike how my parents treat their devices.

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
They are at Port Blair? Lol good luck getting anything serviced here, more chances of laptop getting total'ed than fixed in their hands. Jokes aside, a lot of the electronics life depends on user as well. If the user is a bit tech savvy and can troubleshoot smaller problems, the device will last longer else spending more banking on better reliability is a waste specially for computers. You have purchased a great device for your parents, I hope they use and treat it well. Unlike how my parents treat their devices.
Yeah they are at Port Blair. My parents use their gadgets well, thanks to my guidance. I hope this will serve their purpose well. It will be hooked to the monitor of old desktop when at home for bigger screen.

Top Bottom