Computer short beeps and hangs for 2 sec

KunalAggarwal

Broken In
I seem to have an unusual problem here. Sometimes when I access my drive (immediately on double clicking) there come a short beep from the cabinet (it is not from the small speaker which beeps in case of RAM malfunction) I think its from the drive itself, and then the drives stops responding for 2 seconds (but the whole PC works fine in the background, its as if the whole drive is being read back which causes the 2 sec delay). But every time it happens it is the same a small beep is followed by the 2-3 sec delay. Then everything resumes normal.

It started happening when I installed my new Western Digital (Green) 1TB hard Disk 4 months ago. My other drive is Seagate 7200.11 Barracuda 500GB.

The WD hard disk is the D Drive, with no partitions (complete 940GB)
The Seagate is partitioned in two C (200GB, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit installed) and E(265GB).

This problem usually happens with the Western Digital Drive. And this problem happens at most 2-3 times a day, or sometimes it doesn't even happen. (My PC is on for approx. 14 hours a day).

I even defragment my drives once a month.

Is something wrong with the Drive?

My PC config is:
Intel E7300 2.66GHz, Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L, MSI GeForce 9500GT 1GB GDDR3 OC Edition, Corsair CX400W, Dynet RAM 4GB.

jerrin_ss5

Never give up!!
beeps usually come form mother board but in your case its diff i suppose
anyways if HDD is ur doubt check your HDD with speedfan s/w it has SMART readings check if ur HDD health is OK although u can't completely rely on this readings but still u can atleast confirm something !!!!

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
I seem to have an unusual problem here. Sometimes when I access my drive (immediately on double clicking) there come a short beep from the cabinet (it is not from the small speaker which beeps in case of RAM malfunction) I think its from the drive itself, and then the drives stops responding for 2 seconds (but the whole PC works fine in the background, its as if the whole drive is being read back which causes the 2 sec delay). But every time it happens it is the same a small beep is followed by the 2-3 sec delay. Then everything resumes normal.

It started happening when I installed my new Western Digital (Green) 1TB hard Disk 4 months ago. My other drive is Seagate 7200.11 Barracuda 500GB.

The WD hard disk is the D Drive, with no partitions (complete 940GB)
The Seagate is partitioned in two C (200GB, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit installed) and E(265GB).

This problem usually happens with the Western Digital Drive. And this problem happens at most 2-3 times a day, or sometimes it doesn't even happen. (My PC is on for approx. 14 hours a day).

I even defragment my drives once a month.

Is something wrong with the Drive?

My PC config is:
Intel E7300 2.66GHz, Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L, MSI GeForce 9500GT 1GB GDDR3 OC Edition, Corsair CX400W, Dynet RAM 4GB.

Download HDD SENTINEL. Great software. Run the performance test.

OP
K

KunalAggarwal

Broken In
Download HDD SENTINEL. Great software. Run the performance test.

I used HDD Sentinel and it showed this for my Seagete 500GB HDD :-

Health : 37% (Acceptable)
Temp : 26C

"There are 8 bad sectors on the disk surface. The contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area.
Problems occurred during the spin up of the disk 21 times. This can be caused by the disk itself or huge power load (weak power supply).
At this point, warranty replacement of the disk is not yet possible, only if the health drops further.
It is recommended to examine the log of the disk regularly. All new problems found will be logged there."

Unexpected, though, the WD HDD : Health : 100%

HD Tune Pro showed these errors (attached PNG image)

Is there any way to fix these errors.

Last edited:

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
I used HDD Sentinel and it showed this for my Seagete 500GB HDD :-

"There are 8 bad sectors on the disk surface. The contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area.
Problems occurred during the spin up of the disk 21 times. This can be caused by the disk itself or huge power load (weak power supply).
At this point, warranty replacement of the disk is not yet possible, only if the health drops further.
It is recommended to examine the log of the disk regularly. All new problems found will be logged there."

Is there any way to fix these errors.

it seems that that the bad sector has developed at the beginning of the disk.

go to my computer. right click on the c drive.=> properties=>TOOLS tab=>Error Checking. Click on CHECK NOW. Tick both the boxes and click START. this will take several minutes. then shut down and open again. see if problem persists.

if that does not work see formatting and reloading the OS solves the problem or not. OR wait for more suggestions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom