Computer freezes at BIOS screen (or just after it).

siddu101

Broken In
PC is stuck at BIOS screen. Fan is at max speed.( I am not sure if this is normal though).
Sometimes there is no display. I power off the PSU, wait a bit and then power it back on and display is again frozen at BIOS screen.
Basically never able to get past BIOS.
Could this be a problem with my motherboard, CPU or GPU?

Confused why this is happening. It has been a month since I used the PC(Everything was fine then). And this happened when i last booted the device.
After which I have tried to reseat all the components, (CPU Fan, RAM, GPU, HDD(although it doesnt matter yet))

Config:
The setup is nearly 6 years old :silly_NF:
Phenom II x6 1050T
Gigabyte motherboard AM3+ socket
Corsair Vengenge DDR3 Ram 8GB
XFX Radeon 6770 GPU
CM Thunder 500w PSU

Last edited:

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Do you hear a single Beep when the pc boots? I assume you have an internal cabinet speaker connected to motherboard.
One possibility is that some component is not getting detected properly and hence it waits or hangs.
Try booting with just a minimal configuration. Keep only one RAM and disconnect the HDD & any other DVD drives etc. (Disconnect both power & SATA cables) Does it still hang at the BIOS?

Does it give multiple beeps when there is no RAM at all?

OP
S

siddu101

Broken In
Yes, I hear a single beep. I have done the 30 seconds reset workaround as well. Already using minimal configs.
I dont have an internal gpu.

So m using the OS hard disk, One ram, Have removed the external fans(Although i have a 500w PSU and there is sufficient power supply as I was using this exact same PC to game a month ago).

However; Got some updates:
If i m fast enough, I can enter the BIOS settings after the splash screen. I am able to use my keyboard to move options for a few seconds.(15 - 20 )

Also, I dont know if this can be helpful;
BOOT sequence observed as follows;
CPU fan starts ; 1 beep GPU fan starts;
CPU fan momentarily stops; then starts again at around 80% fan speed.
I see the BIOS Splash screen. 3 things happen here;
If I press delete (BIOS Setup) -> stays on for 10 -15 seconds
The BIOS transits to a blank screen (Fan speewds up to 100% stuck there)
The BIOS splash transits to preparing automatic repair/diagnostic test (stuck there)

Also 3 variations for the BOOT Sequence:
Power on -> fan and GPU start at 100% -> No display in this scenario ( no BIOS ) although I get a single beep
Power on -> fan and GPU start -> CPU fan stops momentarily -> CPU fan starts again at 30% speed -> No display in this scenario ( no BIOS )

:dead_NF:

D

Deleted member 118788

Do you have any other RAM available from any other PC for testing? I think your RAM have went kaput.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
also try changing the HDD SATA Mode in BIOS, as you are able to enter the BIOS. If you have set it to SATA try with IDE Mode. I had a similar issue but it got resolved after replacing the SATA cable. Hence I also suggest that you remove the HDD/DVD drives and try booting it without any SATA devices. Also try booting with some live linux DVD/USB and check if it loads further post BIOS.

OP
S

siddu101

Broken In
also try changing the HDD SATA Mode in BIOS, as you are able to enter the BIOS. If you have set it to SATA try with IDE Mode. I had a similar issue but it got resolved after replacing the SATA cable. Hence I also suggest that you remove the HDD/DVD drives and try booting it without any SATA devices. Also try booting with some live linux DVD/USB and check if it loads further post BIOS.

I can enter the BIOS and stay there for like 10 seconds. :-/
I am almost certain that the problem is not with the hard disk. I have 3 sata connectors. Tried all of them on the HDD. Booted without HDD. When booting without HDD it says no Bootable device found and freezes there(any input or ctrl + alt + del) does not yeild anything on the screen(There is no bep when i press ctrl + alt + del after the computer freeze).

Top Bottom