Components for APU-A10 Kaveri based system, Requesting help.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Cheapest R5 230 card is available for 2k.Is it worth it to get an outdated/old/less efficient architecture APU just to save 2k?One can always buy a cheap 2k gfx card as temporary solution/backup in case more powerful/costly primary gfx card goes for RMA to run day-to-day tasks on pc.
Do such cards get driver support for current OS version?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes but only for install,no updates(the last final driver for R5 230 was released on 29/07/2015 which is compatible with win 10). In any case such low end cards don't require driver updates because one is not looking for improvement in gaming performance on such cards which is the main reason for updating graphics card driver.

OP
Nishandh

Nishandh

Broken In
While I was about to order a cheap Bristol Ridge GPU, (with a notion that I could upgrade to a Ryzen later),
Came across the fact that Ryzen ThreadRipper uses an sTR socket.

Any guess if the Ryzen+Vega units would be released for AM4 or sTR4 socket please ?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
While I was about to order a cheap Bristol Ridge GPU, (with a notion that I could upgrade to a Ryzen later),
Came across the fact that Ryzen ThreadRipper uses an sTR socket.

Any guess if the Ryzen+Vega units would be released for AM4 or sTR4 socket please ?
Threadripper is different. AM4 is the mainstream AMD lineup which you should be aiming for. I won't recommend any current APU over a Ryzen CPU + Low end GPU for display.

Top Bottom