Completely sealed Mac paving the way for disposable computers?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
According to this article :

Apple unveiled the new top-of-the-line 15-in. MacBook Pro, with its ground-breaking Retina display, a truly drool-worthy laptop if ever there was one. It's fast, powerful and stylish, setting the standard for what a full-featured yet highly portable laptop can be. But that gorgeous package comes with a cost. iFixit, in its teardown analysis, gave the Retina MacBook Pro the lowest possible score, 1 out of 10, for its almost complete lack of upgradeability. There are no user-replaceable parts whatsoever, including the battery or even RAM, which, in a trend begun with the MacBook Air in 2008, is directly soldered to the logic board. What's wrong with this picture?

Apple has long divided its offerings into "pro" and "consumer" lines, and this divide has only diverged lately, as an ever-growing proportion of Apple's revenues and profits have come from consumer-focused products such as iOS devices - the iPad and iPhone (and to a much lesser extent, Apple TV). While power users may need and want upgrades for Macs, consumers, usually replace their iPhones, iPods and iPads, with new devices rather than upgrading their current hardware. Updates happen at the operating system and application level. In short, these are all "sealed-unit" devices by design, with no hardware-level upgradeability.
Case in point: batteries. The one essential accessory with every Mac laptop I've bought used to be a spare battery or two, so I could swap them out on long flights and extend my time away from an outlet. When Apple switched to internal, non-swappable batteries, it boosted battery life by cramming more capacity into the chassis, but took away the ability to switch out batteries. This is a calculated trade-off, and for many users, having a bit more battery life built-in may be more important than swapping. The other, less obvious consequence is that when the battery starts losing capacity and finally fails (as all batteries eventually do), replacing it with a new one isn't a simple matter of buying one and dropping it in.

If you want to replace it yourself, you have to crack the case (potentially voiding any warranty you may have), and do what can amount to major surgery. Apple does offer an out-of-warranty battery replacement service at a reasonable charge ($129 for the MacBook Air and most MacBook Pros, $199 for the new Retina Pro), but if a user decides to replace a Retina MacBook Pro's battery, and does it according to Apple specs, iFixit estimates a $500 cost -- ouch!

This is a troubling trend since it drastically limits the options of owners to ditch their machine for favour of a new model rather than upgrading. I always knew Apple to be a bloodsucker, but this has raised that bar to a new level. It remains to be seen how they will treat power users in this matter.

Further reading : MacBook Pro 15" Retina Display Mid 2012 Teardown

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Can a hackintosh really compare to a true Mac in terms of performance? I am not a huge mac fan so I have no idea.

But, if you are a power user (I mean someone who is using it for business or enterprise purposes), why not use something like linux, which is more open on PC hardware which is more upgradeable..

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
i see people working in hackintosh...even the pro's..so i would say its as fast as true mac.
Some softwares are proprietary in macs only...so that's why they are living...

Top Bottom