Compatible Linux OS for ASUS FX505GD NVIDIA Laptop

• Thread starter Deleted member 345628
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 345628

I have previously tried to install Linux , PopOS and Linux Mint on my Asus FX505GD . But I ran into a lot of issues everytime .
The sound drivers stopped working , power management went bad and lot of issues with display drivers booting up . I came back to windows eventually .
if anyone happen to be using same pc , please suggest a good OS .

K_akash_i

Journeyman
I have previously tried to install Linux , PopOS and Linux Mint on my Asus FX505GD . But I ran into a lot of issues everytime .
The sound drivers stopped working , power management went bad and lot of issues with display drivers booting up . I came back to windows eventually .
if anyone happen to be using same pc , please suggest a good OS .
didi u download pop os version for nvidia? (there is a seperate one)

K_akash_i

Journeyman
i did use pop but yea i dont have any gpu .never had sound card problems .are u on dual boot? if not please try dual boot and type in the issues.@desmond_david runs manjaro i think its stable as well with nvidia.we should wait for his comments

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 345628

What kind of issues? May be someone can help.
Laptop Power Management was very bad , the temperatures are always high even if my laptop was sitting idle . NVIDIA Optimus didnt work
I wasn't able to switch from NVIDIA GPU to intel for display drivers .
I am using Realtek Sound Card , so I had weird audio issues and it was different everytime , It said dummy audio output and somtimes the mic wasnt functional .
Somtimes the Laptop just froze while booting up , I wasnt even able to go to TTY terminal mode to set default display driver .

I just want to stick to windows while I am typing about the problems I faced back then xD .

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Realtek audio chips are known for breaking on Linux and because of their closed source specifications, nobody is able to write fixed drivers for it. As a general rule of thumb, if you really want to run Linux on your hardware, try looking for hardware that Linux runs well on.

I did the same by giving up Nvidia for AMD because of much better Mesa support.

Laptop Power Management was very bad , the temperatures are always high even if my laptop was sitting idle . NVIDIA Optimus didnt work
I am using Realtek Sound Card , so I had weird audio issues and it was different everytime , It said dummy audio output and somtimes the mic wasnt functional .
Somtimes the Laptop just froze while booting up , I wasnt even able to go to TTY terminal mode to set default display driver .
The Nvidia version of Pop OS has support for Optimus out of the box. @aaruni uses it but I don't know what his laptop specifications are.

OP
D

Deleted member 345628

I have tried Pop OS too , but it just wasnt compaible for some reason . I might as well consider buying a linux compatible hardware then , but I have to wait atleast an year so I could buy it myself .

Learnt a good lesson that I should make a deep research before buying stuff .

OP
D

Deleted member 345628

I mean hardware like AMD instead of NVIDIA or a System 32 Laptop

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
AFAIK There is no hardware which is specially made for Linux. Linux is completely open and not like Mac OS where it won't event install.

You could try Deepin OS or Zorin OS.
It generally comes down to which drivers are available.

K_akash_i

Journeyman
, There will be amd 6600m(budget oriented. as u increase budget 6700m ,6800m) gpu plus ryzen laptop probably pre 2022 or 2022 beginning.rgt now the cheapest available i think is msi bravo 15 which has bad thermals and overall bad performance scores

OP
D

Deleted member 345628

I think installing linux on laptops is a bad idea afterall

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Technically you can use Nouveau with Nvidia if you don't plan on playing games or do some heavy duty tasks such as 3D rendering or machine learning. Nouveau is much more stable but also performs poorly for graphics intensive tasks.

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
As for me, I didn't ever encounter a hardware issue in the 1.5 years I have been using linux. I used Manjaro. For optimus and battery life though? I find that Linux ain't there, my lappy's battery gets drained too fast when I install linux on it.
AFAIK the powersaving technology is best in PopOS, as System76 had kept that issue in mind when creating PopOS for their system76 hardware. Maybe you can try TLP? I have heard good things about it, but never used it on my laptop personally.

I have a soundcard on my mobo that required realtek drivers. Our model numbers would have been very different cause I myself didn't face any audio issues. I only noticed that audio quality wasn't as great as in windows, that has official drivers, but that was a sacrifice I was willing to make.
Can't disagree.

Theodre

In the zone
As for me, I didn't ever encounter a hardware issue in the 1.5 years I have been using linux. I used Manjaro. For optimus and battery life though? I find that Linux ain't there, my lappy's battery gets drained too fast when I install linux on it.
Optimus manager should work OK. It supports Arch and Manjaro. It is not perfect. But it is good enough experience.

Hey @Dexterminator - If you haven't tried Manjaro, I would recommend you to give it a go.

OP
D

Deleted member 345628

I mean I cant run basic ubuntu only so I didnt bother thinking about manjaro ...

Theodre

In the zone
I mean I cant run basic ubuntu only so I didnt bother thinking about manjaro ...
I would recommend trying. Also a similar model is documented in Arch -
*wiki.archlinux.org/title/Laptop/ASUS.
There should be more on Arch or Manjaro forums.

1631296622406.png

Edit: Missed that the model here is AMD version and you were talking about the Nvidia version. But I would still go around in Arch wiki/forums or Manjaro forums. You probably are not the only one with these issues.

Top Bottom