compatibility of Fx 8320 with gigabyte GA-78LMT usb 3.0

quicky008

Technomancer
A friend of mine has an fx 8320 cpu,however his mobo recently conked out and so he wants to replace it.He's found someone who's offering an used GA 78lmt usb 3.0 mobo for only Rs 2000-will it be a good idea to pair this cpu with this mobo?

On some websites its been mentioned that although the ga 78lmt mobos do work with FX 8xxx series cpus,its not advisable to use them with such cpus as they have a 4+1 VRM which might cause the cpu to overheat and in worst cases even burn the mobo-is it really so?

Please advice whether it would be risky to buy this mobo for the fx 8320 cpu or not.

(rest of his system components are:Ram-Corsair vengeance 8gb ddr3,PSU:Corsair VS450,Gpu:Gts 560)

Last edited:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Yes, I have the same mobo and don't worry it will be supported, just update the mobo BIOS to latest version from official website.
check this page:
*www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Gigabyte/GA-78LMT-USB3(rev._4.1).html

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
how old is vs450 and did your friend do a lot of gaming on this or used only lightly ? this config looks heavy
for this quality of psu.. roughly tdp is 125w cpu + 150w gpu

Last edited:
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Not sure,i think earlier he had a 600w cooler master psu but changed it to vs 450 after it died.Is this psu likely to fail in the long run if used with this config?

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
yeah if it has been used for 1.5 years already with constant gaming/heavy usage .. replace it now.. if it is only being lightly used with hardly any gaming at all then this it can be used till 2.5 years total if your friend doesnt have the budget now..

these are just rough estimates based on what i have read/searched... these cheap capacitors are unpredictable , their quality varies a lot.. better change it if he can

this type of psu are intended for office/home type pc with no/basic 30 watt gpu .. there they last for 4 years roughly

Last edited:
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
^ok,thanks for clearing it up.If he wishes to change his psu,will the antec VP500PC be suitable for his config?Is it better than the vs450 in terms of reliability and performance?

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
no antec vp500pc/450P/600P isn't that much better than vs450...

go with antec Vp550p v2 for this pc atleast.. or the upcoming corsair Cx 450 could be a consideration as well..

Top Bottom