Status
Not open for further replies.

hariharan

Journeyman
What exactly are these terms?

Windows .Net framework 3.0

Windows SDK

MSDN

What is the difference between the three and which is used for application development like Java? Does one overlap over the other? Where does Visual Studio fit in this? How to go about coding using windows SDK.. becos the IDE for .net is VS 2005?

What is the commercial applicability of the above? where and how are they used?.. plz dont curse me if you had to ans too many ques..!!

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
.NET framework 3.0
this consists of four components.

Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), formerly code-named Avalon; a new user interface subsystem and API based on XML and vector graphics, which uses 3D computer graphics hardware and Direct3D technologies. See WPF SDK for developer articles and documentation on WPF.

Windows Communication Foundation (WCF), formerly code-named Indigo; a service-oriented messaging system which allows programs to interoperate locally or remotely similar to web services.

Windows Workflow Foundation (WF) allows for building of task automation and integrated transactions using workflows.

Windows CardSpace (WCS), formerly code-named InfoCard; a software component which securely stores a person's digital identities and provides a unified interface for choosing the identity for a particular transaction, such as logging in to a website.

I have used only WPF, with WPF one can create really cool interface, with superb effects and stuff 8)

Windows SDK
Documentation
The Windows SDK contains over 304,000 pages, including the following:
198,000 pages documenting managed code development
106,000 pages documenting Win32 development
Over 100 million words
Approximately 149,000 “New in Windows Vista” topics
All SDK docs are posted to *msdn2.microsoft.com/library/default.aspx

Tools, headers and libraries
The Windows SDK contains the following:
For Win32 development:
1,700 Headers
281 Libraries
110 Tools
For .NET (Managed Code) Development:
14 Reference Assemblies supporting .NET, Tablet PC, Windows PowerShell, MMC, etc.
33 Intellisense Files
70 .NET 2.0 Tools + 10 .NET 3.0 Tools
For Visual Studio 2005 Integration
Utilities to enable Visual Studio 2005 to easily use Windows SDK headers and libs
Visual Studio 2005 Wizards for creating WMP applications

SDK samples
The SDK contains samples in the following topic areas:
430 Windows Presentation Foundation samples
140 Windows Communication Foundation samples
60 Windows Workflow Foundation samples
200 New to Vista (Win32/COM-based) samples
23 Cross technology samples

Microsoft Developer Network MSDN
You better checkout from wiki for MSDN. ;)

I hope these clearouts your queries.

OP
H

hariharan

Journeyman
yeah i went through the wiki site earlier also before posting the ques..!!
But still I'm not able to clearly able to understand which is the superset of which? and where exactly to use .Net framework and Windows SDK...
In what sense are they different and for what purpose are they used exactly specially windows SDK? plz explain ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom